Gaming Thoughts on the D-pad?

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As the only retail game I have for the 3DS is Zelda, I hadn't really used the D-pad until getting the Ambassador downloads.

I've gotta say the D-pad feels so cheap and squeaky and imprecise. I spend so much time playing my Gameboy Micro, and the difference is enormous.

I really enjoy the screen resolution and the analog button. Why did Nintendo make such crappy ABXY buttons and D-pad? They know how to do it with the Micro and GBA SP.

I know, I'm just complaining. There's always someone not happy with something, yadda yadda yadda.

D

Deleted-236924

The D-Pad feels just like the one on the SP, but worse.
Clicky buttons are good... when done correctly.
I have tried using the D-Pad and just don't get the same feeling as I get from the Lite's or the SP's D-Pad.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
The D-Pad feels just like the one on the SP, but worse.
Clicky buttons are good... when done correctly.
I have tried using the D-Pad and just don't get the same feeling as I get from the Lite's or the SP's D-Pad.

Oh man ... what i wouldn't give to have the GBA-SP's d-pad and buttons on all Nintendo handhelds. Doesn't get any better IMHO, so of course Nintendo will never go there again.

OP, my 3DS d-pad was tight and kinda sticky feeling at first too. Played the hell out of some NSMB on it for a few weeks and seems to be breaking in quite nicely. Feels as good now as my DSLite's ever did (i skipped the DSi phase).

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to console gaming; where have you been for the past decade?

The 90's was the age of quality d-pads. In today the vast majority of gaming takes place in 3D space. Analog has become the focus while the d-pad is relegated to "afterthought".

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
regnad said:
As the only retail game I have for the 3DS is Zelda, I hadn't really used the D-pad until getting the Ambassador downloads.

I've gotta say the D-pad feels so cheap and squeaky and imprecise. I spend so much time playing my Gameboy Micro, and the difference is enormous.

I really enjoy the screen resolution and the analog button. Why did Nintendo make such crappy ABXY buttons and D-pad? They know how to do it with the Micro and GBA SP.

I know, I'm just complaining. There's always someone not happy with something, yadda yadda yadda.

lolwut? the ABXY buttons are amazing. Not as good as XL's but that's because of the different finishings they have.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zantigo said:
Really? You must have short/long fingures then, unless your problem was the tips of your thumbs hurting, I used to have that problem but its not as bad with this D-Pad for some reason.

Nah. My problem was in the middle of my thumb. I'd play for an hour and then boom! Started hurting. Never had that problem with my DSi XL though.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I play Street Fighter with the D-Pad and of course some Virtual Console games, but the D-Pad is good for my feeling. It makes it easy for me to do Vega's ultra combo's.

I don't see the problem. ;D

Satirical

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've had a Phat DS, a DS Lite and now my 3DS and I can honestly say I prefer the 3DS D-pad over the other two simply because I use the Circle pad 90% of the time, and the 10% of the time I use the dpad is when I either need to, or I need a little more precision. (If the circle pad is slightly off center you'll move in that direction, so if you want to go to the left and accidentally slide it down, you'll duck. It's annoying, that's the only time I'll resort to the dpad and it's only because I'm not used to the circle pad)

I honestly have no problem with it. It's only squeaky if you're hammering it around and I prefer it being clicky than..the other thing. The DS Lite dpad just kind of squeaks and feels worn-out and used after a while, I don't think the 3DS DPad will be the same.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It could be better... but good enough in my opinion.

I've never heard anyone else say this, but I've seen it on my 3DS, and a few others. If you look at the D-pad in the right light, you can see a small crack that goes basically around the entire edge of the piece.

I just checked it out... and it's easier to see than I thought. If no one knows what I'm talking about I could put a picture up.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Squeaky? Maybe you have defective d-pads... Mine is very solid, clicks nicely and has a nice firm feel. Works wonderfully for the NES games.

The DS lite had by far the worst D pad I've ever seen/used... it was squishy and imprecise and hated diagonals... it was the main reason I kept my original DS till the DSi came out, which had a better D-pad... though still not as good as the DS phat.

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
my buttons are squeaky. I prefer the dsi's buttons it feels better. i don't like the 3ds buttons. it feels kind of weird personally. But, apparently the new batch has clickier buttons and i wonder how they feel.

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My d-pad squeaked for a while and was a little stiff, but I broke it in, so now it just feels sexy all the time and doesn't squeak at me. The initial quality is a hurdle, I'd say.

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Like SirAileron, my dpad was squeaky bit fixed after a bit of use... My ABXY buttons are still squeaky though...
ohnoes.png

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
phantastic91 said:
my buttons are squeaky. I prefer the dsi's buttons it feels better. i don't like the 3ds buttons. it feels kind of weird personally. But, apparently the new batch has clickier buttons and i wonder how they feel.
Weird, I got my 3DS on launch and the buttons are clickier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My phone is pretty secure the Chinese spies tell me it's really locked down and I probably...