Thoughts on the 1976 UFO Incident?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by soulx, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Remember this? The Tehran UFO incident. For those who don't know about it, here is a quote from Wikipedia summarizing the incident.
    It seems that when an unidentified aircraft is seen, people tend to claim it's from 'aliens'. This 'supposed incident' is obviously more credible then others considering that there were several people who saw this. I have mixed thoughts about this. I want it to be an 'alien' space-craft but it doesn't seem like one. What do you think?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Simple: They were making a nuke in the 70's!

3. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    When I was much younger, I thought aliens might be able to come here. Now I know it's damn near impossible. First of all, we haven't found life on any planet we have seen, which means if life does exist elsewhere, than it's far from the Milky Way. Since these planets are extremely far away, generations upon generations will be needed in order to reach this planet. That means the aliens that finally got to us were probably living in that stereotypical UFO their whole lives. Another problem with that is food. Where the hell does all that food come from? Anything that lives needs food, that's been proven (not like it was hard to prove)...so how do you fit THAT much food in your UFO? I'm aware that if they were real, they'd probably be massive, but still.

Anyway, if they could come here, why have they never landed? Are they afraid of us?

I dunno how to say this, but I'm trying the best I could do in 5 minutes. Basically I'm saying extraterrestrial life doesn't exist; at least we will never experience new life. It's too large a distance.

This could all be wrong if there's such a thing as a wormhole. As of now (since no alien life has come), I think it's safe to say they don't exist. That, or they haven't figured out the secret either.

Off topic from my post: How lucky would we be if aliens found us? There's literally trillions of planets in the Universe, how lucky would we be if we were found?

4. junker_man32

Banned junker_man32 Banned

United States
  5. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    It doesnt mean it's an alien if it's a UFO. It is meant to be UN-IDENTIFIED. Meaning it could be someone with a high tech device intercepting the National Gov.

It could be Iron Man in disguise. lol.

There are people who works secretly from the National Govenment, y'know

Though there's a possibility that there are aliens outside our solar system with Star Trek technology.

6. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    I don't know if there's other life out there, but I don't really care to be honest.
    If some other alien race does exist, and decides to bomb the Earth in order to make room for a new hyperspace expressway, then I might rethink my thoughts on the whole subject.

7. TheDestroyer

Member TheDestroyer GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™

United States
    Very interesting topic but i would probably agree with PharaohsVizier.. he pretty much said what I believes in and much more.. fascinating.. [​IMG]

I'll definitely look for the book..

8. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    I wouldn't mind gaming with an alien [​IMG]

But believe me if there are aliens we would have seen them by now.

9. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    It is plausible that aliens have already come to earth, however they are likely microbial. Life is a miraculous thing to spring out of a previously lifeless world. I have always believed it is more likely that life sprung up in very few places and seeded the rest of the inhabitable planets. The only hitch in this theory is how would microbial life travel? Could a great enough impact send the dust of life across the universe? I really don't know.

10. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Swamp gas [​IMG]

11. retiredjerk

Member retiredjerk GBAtemp Regular

i find it extremely hard to believe that we are the only other intelligent life form in space. Space is so vast and it is still expanding as we speak.

12. ericling

Member ericling GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    I am kinda believe that UFO/alien is exist.
    I believe if the UFO is true,if it really exist,their technology will be 10x better than human [​IMG]

13. Uncle FEFL

United States
    I'd just like to say I'm a future astronomer, so I'm extremely interested in this stuff. [​IMG]

1. I'm not. There are people here on earth (mainly in the Middle East, and other somewhat remote areas) that live underground. It has a natural air flow, which keeps their entire caves cool. It's quite awesome. They have power outputs and such too, IIRC.

The reason why our job of inspecting planets is a little bad is because our telescopes are not powerful enough. Even still, we get a general idea of the planet being looked at. So far, we've only found 3 extrasolar planets that have had similar qualities to our planet. Now, these planets are millions of light years away so we are seeing the planet from however many millions of years ago it looked like that. These planets may in fact hold life, but light years are an extreme nuisance when trying to prove anything, thus the quote "the more we find out, the more we don't know." -random scientists.

2. I'm a non-believer of the "fact" that technology always grows. The ultimate source of power we have is harnessing the sun's power, since that's the strongest power we know of in the universe. The fastest speed we know of is 186,000 mi/sec, the speed of light. Now, imagine a know planet with life is only 1 million light years away (impossible considering the Andromeda galaxy is farther), it would take one million years for them to reach us. To prove this with stars: if a newborn star is 11.6 billion light years away from us, we can't see it yet. The light has not yet reached us. When it does, it will appear VERY dim because it is a "newborn," if you will. That star may actually be dead though.

Back onto my point, we don't have too much more technological advancements to uncover, if we ever do. Well we do, but not in the span of 100,000 years. Or even 10,000 years for that matter.

Note: Is my grasp on the measurement of light years correct? I always forget. [​IMG]

3. You mean like a rover? Now THAT would be awesome. Ah, being smaller. That actually is a valid point. Even with humans, it seems we are getting much smaller over time. Perhaps adapting to overpopulation and shortage of food? It's also being proven that our brains are getting bigger, but that's irrelevant.

4. How old is it, do you know? I'll look for an ebook. If it's not old enough to be free, I'll check it out when I go to Barnes and Nobles later on today.

Haha, too true. Maybe I can help uncover it someday, though? [​IMG]

RFEDIT: Added one sentence.

14. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Never heard of the Tehran UFO incident, though I have heard of many other similar cases. I don't believe UFOs exist in the way of flying saucers and alien abductions.

I am a firm believer that there is life in other parts of the universe, even intelligent life. We would be pretty arrogant to hold a view that out of all the numerous galaxies, our spot is the only special one. To an advanced race, we would probably be viewed as so backward not to hold any interest to them.

15. Uncle FEFL

United States
    Perhaps, but even we would be interested in life dumber than us. Back onto light years, again it's a nuisance because you can't look past light. A planet 60 million light years away would only be seeing the end of our dinosaurs.

16. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    Hmmm...

I just got the reference

17. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I do believe there's other life form, but It could be something we don't even imagine. like unshaped (gaz form), nanite, energy only, etc.
    on earth, almost all is dependent to oxygen and carbon. All "big" life form has same construction "head, eyes, mouth, breath, need to feed". but there's unknown species on earth like species living in dark place undersea, or in volcano etc.
    most species use iron as oxygen vehicular, some use copper (fishes usually), why aliens can't use anything else to live/feed ?

• Someone talked about the food supply, but plants feeds mostly from lights and oxygen (and water/fiber/etc. to create their leaves). aliens could feed to something they recycle, or live in harmony with other species completing the molecular chemistry cycle (one eat oxygen and hydrogen, drop water, the other one eat water and drop oxygen and hydrogen).

• I don't believe light speed is the maximum speed an object can travel.

Of course it was stated like that because of it's supposedly 0 mass, so 0 friction, so anything with a mass will be slower.
    now it appears light has a mass (sorry, I don't want to check for reference today [​IMG] ), because gravity can change light course.

But I'm sure light is not the limite.
    What is quicker ? light or gravity ?
    Sun light takes 8minutes to come to earth, but if the Sun changed it's course, how many time will it need to the Earth to feel the effect and follow him ? will it be quicker than 8min, or will the Earth loose sight of the sun and end alone in the space ?
    ok, it's just a supposition, I took the sun as example because 8min was big enough to visualize, but it can't change course as it's the center. but imagine earth/moon attraction with the same effect. Or imagine the sun being part or the galaxy's path. if the solar system changed it's place in the galaxy's arm, all the solar system will follow, not only the sun, then 1 year later pluton.

• I don't understand why all is based on the fact that if someone travel near or more than lightspeed, the time will pass quicker than the one not traveling.
    many SciFi show/book/anime etc. use this time effect.

I didn't read a lot to learn how it's related, but for me whatever the speed you travel, at a T time, you are where you are, the time is the same, the slower is at point A where the quicker is at point B, if the quicker decide to rejoin the slower, he can to it without the slower aging.
    it would means that traveling quicker than light speed, other people would be older in an instant ? Now think Teleport exists. use it. oh crap, earth is 25 billion older than you ! everyone is dead !
    no, you just go from one point to another using the same "time constant" other people use.

• I wanted to remind you about Voyager.
    Nasa launched Voyager 1 in 1977.
    It has (almost) only reach the border of the solar system "inner shockwave" (where the sun wind lost his strength), the shockwave being the effect of the sun's wind in collision with the milky way's arms particles, due to the milkyway rotation speed.
    imagine the time it took to travel only to that point, it's still in the milkyway galaxy, it's still in the solar system gravity !
    With our actual power, we can't even reach the nearest planet from the solar system. Imagine what will happen when (if) Voyager come to the outer reach of the heliosphere, it will need greater power to go forward, else it will just head back into the heliosphere because when in the heliosphere, the apparent "non speed" helped to travel, but once out, the solar system will travel faster than the Voyager.

Here are the "shockwave" (helioheath) visual and explanation :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliosphere
    [​IMG]

Sorry if I talked about too many different subjects without better development, I don't find all the english word I would like and it's time for bed [​IMG]

Edit :
    Oh, I didn't comment the initial question :

I do believe there's UFO (unknown object) aliens or not.
    Many plane's pilot have seen something uncommon, even radar registered those abnormalities.

18. Uncle FEFL

United States
    I used to think about that a lot when I was little. But the answer to why that is not true is simple: we would have found it already. If things can live on Mars, we would find life. But we can't! Those harsher chemicals must not allow other life to live! It's pretty complex, but I think it makes sense.

Look above; other chemicals don't give proper living conditions.

Not everything someone eats can be recycled. We do have waste in our bodies. By waste I mean poisons.

Gravity is a force. It does not move. All it does is push an object towards it. Like our planet pushes us towards its core.

Er, changed it's course? That wouldn't matter. It's possible that the sun is moving, but not anywhere near fast enough to even make light take 9 minutes to get to us. That would also bring quite a dramatic climate change. We'd be much colder.

You're speaking of Einstein's theory of Relativity. Also, it's not quicker, it's slower. Someone traveling at light speed would be much younger looking than if that person had lived on earth. Why I can not truly explain yet. That's not exactly something I can teach myself right now. Physics, I mean.

EDIT: If you're wondering as to why a planet like Venus cannot support life, think of it like this. Could a snail naturally evolve in an ocean? No, because all the snails would drown too quickly. Over time they might swim, but they would need to live at a beach first, in order to adapt. In harsh climates such as Mars and Venus, it's quite hard to adapt to 500 degrees F, or -200 degrees F without dying. Especially when you're not even a life form yet. See what I mean?

Also, I'm very sorry if I'm coming off as a douchebag, I honestly do not mean to be. If I'm not, well...cool. [​IMG]

19. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I actually saw that lid in some documentary before. I can't remember the name of it. It could have been based off that book you mentioned. It had other ancient artefacts and paintings to try and prove aliens visited us in the past. It was mildly interesting, but a bit far fetched.

20. Uncle FEFL

United States
    You've got some interesting viewpoints there. What classes did you take?

1. I agree with that. Though I'd rather have intelligence always growing so at least we generally become smarter.

2. This is true, but from the amount of research so far, it's a safe conclusion to say light is the fastest speed in the universe. Simply because light comes from nearly everywhere. I wish we knew more about "dark matter" though...

3. Ah, I completely forgot about that! Of course time travel would be much slower traveling at the speed of light, theoretically time "stops." But have aliens figured out the secret yet? Maybe. Maybe we're not lucky enough to be discovered. It's an odd thing though; the closer one goes to our planet the closer they would get to our time.

4. Saw that (not exactly that sarcophagus cover, but the overall idea) on the History channel lol. It was quite interesting. Scientists believe that early tribes and Egyptians did not have the resources to create pyramids in the time frames pharaohs and others ordered them to be built, so they believe they had extraterrestrial help. I can't fully reject the idea, but I can't support it either. Why have they never come back? Why has no one else visited? ave other life forms visited? Did they find our planet to be trash and not bother conquering it? These questions arise and can never be answered. That is what frustrates me sometimes. I'd like to know, but I probably won't ever know.

EDIT: Maybe it's just my eyes, but it's odd that I believe the spaceship sarcophagus to be more believable than the pharaoh going to the underworld. [​IMG]