Gaming Thoughts on fee for Wii VC -> Wii U VC

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what the price would be for transferring N64 games over, I was thinking about using my Club Nintendo points to get Paper Mario again, since I still havn't beat it yet. But If I did get Paper Mario, I wouldn't be able to play it because the lack of GC Ports.

You don't need GC ports for N64 Virtual Console. You can use the classic controller (regular or the revised pro, but not the wii u pro controller). They are only $20 new and plug in to the wii remote.

When you do transfer it's just one console to one console right? I actually have wii shop downloads on 2 consoles (same club nintendo account), I would have to pick one or could I transfer both to one wii U?

EDIT: Oh cool, looks like you can transfer 2 seperate wiis to one Wii U...I might have to consolidate

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ugghhhh, people bitching like they are having to buy games all over again like when upgrading from a PSP to a PS Vita and selling the old system

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone! Nintendo -should- do it just like Sony! I mean after all the PS4 can play..... oh wait... yeah.. can't even play PS1 games... which the Wii can do with an emu......

Never mind!

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone! Nintendo -should- do it just like Sony! I mean after all the PS4 can play..... oh wait... yeah.. can't even play PS1 games... which the Wii can do with an emu......

Never mind!

yea, i think you missed the point of what I said

PS Vita came out, people who had the PSP and upgraded were demanding that Sony make it where they could download the games the bought in the physical format for the PSP for free on their Vita.

and for PS1 on the PS4......we don't even know what downloadable games the PS4 is even gonna support, but most likely it will support the entire online store.

MeowTheMouse

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I think its very stupid of Nintendo to charge money. I already thought that those features should be there in the FIRST PLACE with Wii VC, and now they are asking me to PAY for them?? Oh man, I'm glad I didn't buy anything after the horrible experience I had with SF64 being played with a classic controller.

20 years old games that I already bought 3 times shouldn't cost that much, so I'm sticking to the choice of just downloading them.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea, i think you missed the point of what I said

PS Vita came out, people who had the PSP and upgraded were demanding that Sony make it where they could download the games the bought in the physical format for the PSP for free on their Vita.

and for PS1 on the PS4......we don't even know what downloadable games the PS4 is even gonna support, but most likely it will support the entire online store.

Wrong.. It won't support PSN downloads. http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sony-psn-games-wont-transfer-to-ps4/

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think its very stupid of Nintendo to charge money. I already thought that those features should be there in the FIRST PLACE with Wii VC, and now they are asking me to PAY for them?? Oh man, I'm glad I didn't buy anything after the horrible experience I had with SF64 being played with a classic controller.

20 years old games that I already bought 3 times shouldn't cost that much, so I'm sticking to the choice of just downloading them.

You're not forced to upgrade. You can still already play them in the Wii VC. All you're doing is paying like 2 bucks at most, to play them on the GamePad which requires a little bit of work. They should be compensated for that.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Well if you didn't buy anything, what's the point in bitching about Nintendo charging you a small fee to re-download and play VC games on the game pad ? It's not like you have 300 VC titles to worry about.
If there is anything that catches your attention, just buy it as you normally would.

Pachter is right, whiners are the most annoying type of gamers on the internet !

MeowTheMouse

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Its funny how you skipped the word "After". Specially after completely ignoring my point. Keep listening to Patcher, maybe he will teach you that someone stating his opinion about something =/= whiners.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Its funny how you skipped the word "After". Specially after completely ignoring my point. Keep listening to Patcher, maybe he will teach you that someone stating his opinion about something =/= whiners.
That's hardly an opinion.
You are whining about something that doesn't affect you at all, or very little.
What's your problem ? That you have to pay $1 to "maybe" redownload SF64 ?
Just play it on the vWii if you don't want to shell the extra cash.
You are whining , get over it.
Look at the PS4, is not even backward compatible with PSN games, how about giving some credit to Nintendo for the hard work trying to please it's users ?

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's hardly an opinion.
You are whining about something that doesn't affect you at all, or very little.
What's your problem ? That you have to pay $1 to "maybe" redownload SF64 ?
Just play it on the vWii if you don't want to shell the extra cash.
You are whining , get over it.
Look at the PS4, is not even backward compatible with PSN games, how about giving some credit to Nintendo for the hard work trying to please it's users ?

Maybe we should give him a break, he can't help that he's a whiny troll who is clearly incapable of formulating the necessary words to back up his "arguments". ;) Wait, is that a gun I see next to his head, and a man that looks like Reggie fils-Aime coercing him to upgrading his virtual console games?

Reactions: Arm73

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I revise my opinion. I was pissed about it at first, but now I'm fine with it. It's not much money after all. And I won't probably upgrade ALL of my games either. Now I just want some games. Like, WHEN will this upgrade thing be available? I want to play all my games now, but would rather use my game pad to play it. Will I have to wait for 2 years before I can play Super Mario RPG on the Wii U? Will the games roll out instantaneously? Will they release one or two games each week?

I want the games. now.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I revise my opinion. I was pissed about it at first, but now I'm fine with it. It's not much money after all. And I won't probably upgrade ALL of my games either. Now I just want some games. Like, WHEN will this upgrade thing be available? I want to play all my games now, but would rather use my game pad to play it. Will I have to wait for 2 years before I can play Super Mario RPG on the Wii U? Will the games roll out instantaneously? Will they release one or two games each week?

I want the games. now.

Your guess is as good as anyone elses. I think they'll just casually roll them out as they did with the Wii (and are currently doing with the 3DS), and if you already have the Wii VC, you can get it cheaper straight away.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ugghhhh, people bitching like they are having to buy games all over again like when upgrading from a PSP to a PS Vita and selling the old system
Then again, this isn't about physical format games. If you start complaining about physical format games, we can start going on about change of format (NES, SNES, N64, GC, PSP, etc, not to mention those systems that don't have a newer generation version available). If your argument for the PSP to PSVita is that UMDs can't automatically be transferred, then you are correct. If you want to talk about digital format (PSN PSP games), they work on the PSVita just fine.

They said it won't transfer straight (ie. you won't be able to play the PS3 games on the PS4 out of the box). They never said the games won't work in one way or another. Gaikai streaming and it's implementation is far from clarified in the PS4's case. They've said the legacy titles will run (at least) via Gaikai, but they haven't said anything that current games wouldn't be available via Gaikai for those that already own them.

As for the WiiU, I'd have imagined they'd have made the stuff available for free. While the WiiU is new hardware for them, changing the way the emulator works shouldn't be that big a problem. New features are a great bonus and at the relatively small price, who can complain. You can ditch you Wii, get a few bucks out of it and get the WiiU pumped with the same games as before (possibly with the cash you got from selling your Wii!). It's not like you'd really be short on cash if you've been able to buy tons of VC games on the Wii. They're not really the cheapest of games (especially compared to the ease of emulation for the legacy (VC) titles).

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole PS4 not playing all PS3 games and no PSN content is that Sony did not make a backwards compatible 2-in-1 like what they did the last 2 consoles.
the first PS3's had a hardware implementation of a ps2 inside it, enough to run ps2 games. the PS2 had a enough components of a PS1 inside to play PS1 games.
the later PS3's tried hybrid emulation, leaving only the GS and emulating the EE. that had compatibility problems and cost $$$ as the GS was still needed.
considering only a limited amount of PS2 games were released as PS2 Classics using 100% software emulation, its clear sony was not able to get 100% software emulation working very well.

BUT, sony left the ability to play PS1 games from disk even on all the PS3's, even the 40.
considering the PS3 has no memory card and Controller ports, Sony opted to map the DS3/Sixaxis to the PS1 Emulator as a DS1 and to use virtual memory cards (multiple even).

so Sony decided to cut all ps2 compatibility with the latest PS3s. (anything after the 20,60,80 fats,and the 40gb fat).

Microsoft did software emulation and it was not perfect but it got the job done, so they left it. although they could of bothered to release BC emu updates to fix some games.(*cough*MechAssault1,Crazy Taxi 3,ToeJam & Earl,Cel Damage*cough*). but they were able to do 100% software emulation so they lost 0$ allowing the slims to retain BC.

Sony PS Vita: everyone complained that sony should allow people to get their physical UMD's converted into a digital one to play on the Vita. same problem as the PS3/360, plus media differences.
the PSP part of the Vita is a PSP Emulator running on the Vita, and it doesnt emulate the Media Engine portion of the PSP, which is the reason PS Classics were not released and some psp games dont work, as without it, PS1 games have no sound and the PSP games that use it may malfunction. people who are running ARK/eCFW on the PSP emu know this as PS1 games play with no sound. Sony decided to handle PS1 sound emulation for the released PS1 Classics using a native PS Vita PS1 emu vs updating the PSP Emulator to emulate the Media Engine. Sony did however use some sort of Wireless Wrapper to allow PSP games to use the WPA2 Wireless N wireless the Vita featured. PSP could only do wireless B/WPA1.

As for the "should Wii->Wii U VC upgrades be free", well, PS1 classics are free to redownload on the PS Vita and they use a Vita Mode PS1 emu as a workaround for the lack of Media Engine emulation on the PSP Emu. that costs $$$ too.
so if Sony is doing it for free, why should Nintendo not be?

NDS/L: could play GBA games but not GBC nor did it have a link port. People got over it eventually, ran goomba/lameboy, OR JUST used their GBA TO PLAY gba games on.

GBA: could not trade pokemon from BGR/GSC to the GBA games. link cable pinout was different also, cound not be used as a GBC link cable without modification. people got over it and left their old pokemon behind.

GBASP: requires a headphone adapter cable for headphones, people got over it and got one, or used a regular GBA.
GBA Micro:Could play GBA games but not GBC, it had a link port but was smaller and needed a different cable to plug into other GBA's, people got over it and either stuck to a GBA/SP or goomba.

DSi: No GBA support at all. no way to transfer pokemon from RSE/FRLG as there was no GBA slot nor hardware to do so. people got over it and used DS Lites/fats for transfers or GBA games. or emulated them via the DSTwo. also failed to allow DS games to use the WPA and wireless G features of the DSi wireless card via some sort of wrapper like how the Vita can for PSP games.DS games still need to connect to a Wireless B network.

3DS: was able to play emulated GBA eShop releases (only 20 and for Ambassadors only too), people got over that quickly, as its Nintendo.
the DSi features were retained in the 3DS-some preloaded apps. also failed to allow DS games to use the WPA and Wireless features of the 3DS wireless card via some sort of wrapper like how the Vita can for PSP games. DS games still need to connect to a wireless B network.

GameCube: oh noes!11!, it cant play my N64 game carts. well, the SNES and N64 had no BC either. people got over it and played GC games.

Wii: retains "Most" of the gamecube minus some small things like the broadband adapter, or the GBA PLAYER. people were fine with that. the Wii was Wireless only (usb lan adapter extra and not included) so no broadband adapter wrappers for the USB lan adapter were ever added to the Wii's "GC Mode".

Wii Horizontal Revision: NO GC Support at all. still could play Wii games that did not require GC accessories. who needs Wavebirds for Brawl,Mario Kart, or the ability to play Melee anyway?/sarcasm

Wii Mini: a DoorStep, nuff said. what use is a console you cant even play Skyward Sword on without having to worry about the Save Game bug as you cant download or apply the fix to it via another Wii with no Internet or SD card slot to do so. Nintendo could of at least Pre-Installed the save updater. talk about carelessness.

Wii U: No GameCube (Nintendo plans to release GC VC titles tho later on), can play Wii games along with eShop titles/VC via WiiMode(which refuses to launch if the Wii U detects a system update), but they cant utilize the Pro Controller even tho its Bluetooth like a WiiMote. they did however do the wireless partially right, WiiMode can use Wireless N when the Wii only had B/G, but cannot use WPA2 like how the DSi/3DS could not for DS games.
NO GAMECUBE:if Nintendo can emulate the GameCube enough to make VC titles then why not allow playing GC games from disk via a GameCube emulator same as the PS3 can with PS1 even if its not all games? (The PS1 emulator cannot play all games either)

the pattern i see here is that people got over any BC related things Nintendo did/did not do ,
and then bash on Sony/Microsoft when they lack BC.

and once the Wii U gets older, whats going to stop Nintendo from ripping out Wii disk compatibility (or even WiiMode) on later consoles leaving you with no way to play Wii Games or no way to use any Wii titles if WiiMode was removed. they can and may if it will save them enough money not needing to put Wii components into the Wii U.
they did to the Wii with GameCube support. how much does anyone really think they saved removing the ports and some resisters, not any, it was the drive. using a 12cm only disk optical loader was cheaper and less complex as it did not need to accept 2 disk sizes. since Wii U games uses Blu-Ray like disks, they could save money using a drive that does not contain both a 640nm(DVD) and a 405nm(Blu-Ray) laser.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Paying for a game (or games) you already bought at least once and maybe even twice is stupid. The "added functionality" is basically some patching. Can anyone name a console game that requires you to pay for patching? I can't. Plus, the $1 - $1.50 is a substantial percentage of the original cost of the game anyways. VC IMO is not worth this extra cost since I'd rather play Wii U titles than 20 year old games.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool