Those without PS4: Buying now or waiting for PS5?

Would you wait for the next gen console to be released?

• Total voters

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have almost every modern, 21st century console: NDS, 3DS, PS Vita Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and even the Nintendo Switch. All of them are hacked/softmodded (except the Xbox which I didn’t get round to yet).

However, I don’t have the PS4 or Xbox One. And a few other people don’t as well. My question is: if you could, would you buy one now, or wait until the PS5 is released (since there’s a good chance of backwards compatibility). Would it be different in the case of the Xbox One and Xbox Two? What if you wanted to run homebrew and backups? ;)

Please let me know down below. I’ve been wanting to get a hackable PS4 pro for ages...

Last edited by Alex4nder001,

AtsuNii

AtsuNii's New Beginnings
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hm, that would actually be a rather hard one. A complete new one I wouldn't recommend however a used one might actually be worth it. Ive seen PS4's go for under 200 Euro and I got my Xbox one for under 150 even. As the new consoles will likely arrive in 2 or 3 years. It depends if you're willing to wait that while or not.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Almost all of the games on both platforms are also on other devices (usually PC) and/or slightly upgraded versions from earlier consoles. So...I'm not a collector of modern consoles, but right now I can't even see why collectors (at least the ones who want one to really game on) would want one. It's much easier to spend the money on...well...actual games.

The whole "there's a good chance it will have backwards compatibility" is pure speculation: the things haven't even been officially announced yet. I'd wait at least until then and then hearing whether or not it has backward compatibility. As a bonus: perhaps there are some better exclusives on these devices that would warrant a purchase.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last gen, although not a day 1 adopter, I had a 360 pretty early in it's life cycle. I never owned an og xbox, and had favored the Gamecube and PS2 in the previous gen (prior to that, I'd had an N64 and a PS1, and before that SNES and Megadrive). I mention this just to show that, if anything, I favored the Sony systems over their competitors prior to PS3.
When our current gen kicked off I picked up a PS3, so I could experience all the exclusives I'd missed out on while owning a 360.
I'd wanted a Wii U pretty much from the point MK8 released, but I stubbornly waited for a price drop that never came - I eventually bought one around a year before the Switch launched.
Having caught up on the PS3 titles I'd missed out on, and the handful of Wii U titles that were worth buying the system for, I realised that there was now a massive selection of content that I wanted to play on PS4. I picked up my Pro in last years black friday sales - arguably in the tale end of the consoles life cycle.

So, in reply to the op;
Don't consider 'skipping' a console gen if there are titles you know you'd want to play (especially not due to speculation that next gen will allow you to access the previous gen).
If you're okay waiting for the next gen, then I'd suggest waiting and buying a PS4 cheap when everyone else is trading them in for the PS5 (similar to what I did with PS3)... by that time, it's likely you'll be able to buy a PS4 Pro, Xbox1X, and a Switch for whatever a PS5 will cost.

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchase Nintendo consoles when they launch. All other consoles take a back burner until I get excited for a specific game . I bought the PS4 for Detroit and GoW. Probably won't get a ps5 unless they have a have games I'm interested in.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a ps4 just for kh, xbox is just a shooter console as far as I see most of the time and the next gen console will likely just be pushing for graphics still which I would rather go to pc for if I want top of the line graphics

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
unless there is some games you cannot wait to play til the next consoles launches i would say yes wait. as the next gen console will most likely be backward compatible

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
However, I don’t have the PS4 or Xbox One. And a few other people don’t as well. My question is: if you could, would you buy one now, or wait until the PS5 is released (since there’s a good chance of backwards compatibility). Would it be different in the case of the Xbox One and Xbox Two? What if you wanted to run homebrew and backups? ;)

Please let me know down below. I’ve been wanting to get a hackable PS4 pro for ages...

Nobody can tell you when the PS5 will be out or when it will be hackable. If you want a hackable ps4 pro, then get one. I don't know if you've left it too late.

SpongyLesbian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Niether tbh. I don't have boatloads of cash to drop on a console
I am on the same train with SANIC, but if I had to buy one I'd go with Playstation 4. There are some exclusive titles on Playstation 4 I'd love to play. Also Playstation 5 has a long time to come. I don't think it is a great idea to wait for it, even if it is going to have backwards compatibility for Playstation 4.

Last edited by SpongyLesbian,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended