Those moments you'll always remember

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by chavosaur, Dec 13, 2012.

Dec 13, 2012
  1. chavosaur
    OP

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Today, I took part in something that I don't think Ill ever forget for the rest of my life.

An elderly woman came in to target today to buy a few things. She could not walk of her own accord, so i brought her the little electric scooter, and told her if she needed anything, tell an employee and Ill help her out. I get a call later, and it turns out the scooter died. So, not having any other available scooters, I brought her a wheelchair and told her Id be more than happy to push her around the store and carry the basket for her things. She told me I needn't bother, but I insisted and had her sit in the chair. As I was taking her around the store, she started telling me that her son normally pushed her around when she went to the store, but he wasn't around. I asked what happened

She told me that he had been killed serving in Afghanistan.

I spent the rest of my moments, helping her out with everything she needed, while she told me all the amazing things her son had done during his service, and how much she missed him dearly. As she was checking out, she had a smile on her face. She told me I was a very kind person for listening to her and helping her out.

Her stories and life touched me in a very meaningful way. I am proud of every man and woman who performs their duties to America. And I am proud to say I could help the mother of this soldier who cannot roam this earth any longer.

So what about y'all? Do you have any of those moments that you'll always remember?

EZ-Megaman, lufere7, Chary and 5 others like this.
  2. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    That's deep, man.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and throw out some more retail experience to go along with that. I can't think of anything in particular at the moment, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to, but on a general note, all the people that come in to work having lost everything they have to hurricane Sandy, and me listening to them tell their stories. I'm sure they have told the same stories tons of times to everyone they know, but I hope it makes some small difference to them knowing that just some guy at the electronics counter is more than willing to listen to them when they're pretty much down on everything else and lend what advice or words of comfort I can.

Castiel likes this.
  3. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Damn it, Chav. You bring up that engrossing tear jerker of a story and then ask us to try and top it? That's one tough act to follow.

4. chavosaur
    OP

pip
    United States
    I would imagine so haha, but its the moments like that that make me enjoy life that much more. It's amazing thee story a person carries with them everyday, and its even more amazing, when your the one they share it with.

5. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I was kind of hoping this thread would be about video game moments... lol

That being said my life is filled with things I will never forget, although most of them are WTF moments worthy of a comedy movie not some tear jerking chick flick type thing.... lol

*In that guys voice who does all the trailers for movies*

A heart warming story about an old woman, a heroic son and the local Target employee. Together they share a bond that no terrorist can break!

Target: Afghanistan!!! Sometimes hero's don't come home.... coming to theaters this fall!

6. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    Another elderly person at a retail giant story, but not nearly as good:
    An elderly gentleman asked me to grab him an item from the top shelf at the Walmart where I work, so I obliged. After wards, he told me "You're a good man, I'll be sure to tell Sam about you", referring to the deceased Sam Walton, the founder of Walmart. A few months later I was thinking about that and finally realized, he meant when he died he'd tell him. It touched my heart.

Ammako, chavosaur and Sterling like this.
  7. Castiel

Member Castiel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    This one is very, very long, but I heard it only last week. It is actually a very sad story that shows just how terrible some human beings can be. I wouldn't have remembered all of this info if it didn't really hit me and those that were at the presentation. Well worth the read if you have a lot of spare time:

Background story:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    As you can see, Tad lived a pretty terrible childhood. So how does this prove that he cares for everyone and wants to help them? Continue reading and find out.

Background story of Tad's inspiration:
    Dang. Some pretty heavy stuff going on. This really makes one question how people couldn't step in and try to help those who are being bullied, and how people could bully others so much. No one expects that the person they are bullying will do something so serious, but they still have to know that it can happen.

I don't want anyone to read this story and think that positivity will lead no where. It really does have a great impact. But positivity alone isn't enough. We need to take a stand and let people help us through our struggles. Jamie was on the right track. His only mistake is that he tried to do it alone. More often then not, when one tries to do something this big alone, it won't work. I strongly believe we need people to help us in order to succeed. Anyways, back to the story.

Tad's response:
    I have a huge amount of respect for Tad. The amount of care that he shows other people is phenomenal.
    I don't think I'll ever forget the day that Tad came and spoke to us. I try and tell people about the story he shared whenever I can. He goes around and tries to the best of his ability to bring hope in to the lives of every single person that he comes across. We need more people who care as much as Tad does.

Anyways, I was going to go to bed at least an hour ago, but then I saw this thread an decided to type this whole story out. If anyone is interested, here is the website Tad created for his campaign.
    Tad's website: http://www.bullyingendshere.ca/
    (I got approval from Tad to be able to share this.)

8. Jiehfeng

Member Jiehfeng The Moon over the Sun

United States
    I didn't read castiel's post lol :P
    But if anyone see's the op with out liking it, they are not human.

9. Castiel

Canada
    I won't hold it against you ;)

Jiehfeng likes this.
  10. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
  11. chavosaur
    OP

pip
    United States
    Read the whole thing, it was amazing. Thanks for sharing :grog:

Castiel likes this.
  12. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    But if anyone sees Castiel's post without reading it, they are not human.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  13. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    This thread is making me tear up.

14. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    @Castiel: That's terrible. Those stories are as inspirational as inspirational can get. I think I cried a little.

15. Castiel

Canada
    May people at the presentation were crying as well. It hit us even more once he mentioned that he himself is homosexual, and when he started going on about how we are the problem because we are either not doing anything, or we are the people bullying others.
    He is going to be coming back in April and it affected everyone so much that some teachers are trying to get him to speak to the whole school instead of just a few classes this time.