This Week In Gaming: December 12

GBAtempTWIGLogo.png

The year of 2017 is winding down, and we're almost done with big announcements and news from this year. But there's still a few bits of interesting topics left to cover! So let's get to it, and see what the latest news is in the gaming world.

Industry News

The Tiny Metal/Project Phoenix drama continues with sexual harassment accusations and lack of funding
Back in 2013, a little indie game by the codename of "Project Phoenix" made its way onto the scene, shockingly raising over a million dollars in its Kickstarter. The game was helmed by Hiroaki Yura, known for working on games like Valkyria Chronicles, Diablo III, and Soulcalibur V, and had a team of Nobuo Uematsu and Kiyoshi Arai of Final Fantasy fame. When 2015, the projected release year of Project Phoenix rolled around, the game was quickly delayed, and months passed without any new information. Then, suddenly, it was revealed that Yura had been staffed on a game titled Tiny Metal, developed by his other game studio, and published by Sony. Gaming site Siliconera decided to interview his team at PSX 2017, to ask more about both games.

Q: What has been the biggest obstacle for Project Phoenix?
Hiroyuki Yura, Director/Producer: We could actually deliver with a bit more programming, but the fact is, if you read my updates, we aren’t happy with what Airborne Studios (an art outsourcing company used by CIA) delivered. We aren’t happy at all, it looks too cheaply made.

Q: Tiny Metal is about to launch. What was its biggest obstacle during development?
Hiroyuki Yura: We wanted to have multiplayer on release in Tiny Metal, but we couldn’t so we’re going to put it in a free patch a few months afterwards. To me a game is done, when we have multiplayer. This is a situation I don’t like.

Q: If Tiny Metal doesn’t live up to your standards why are you releasing it now?
Hiroyuki Yura: Well, we have a relationship with our publisher, Sony, and we have our promises with our investors. That’s why we need to put it out.

Q: How do you feel about the relationship to the Project Phoenix backers? Aren’t the backers similar to investors, to some extent?
Hiroyuki Yura: Not really, they are not investing. Another thing, what is not acceptable is we have not delivered what the artists wanted. They are lending me their name and their strength and I need to make sure I deliver on the part they want it to be portrayed.

Q: How many units of Tiny Metal need to sell to resurrect Project Phoenix?
Hiroyuki Yura: 150,000 units, worldwide on all consoles.

Q: How reasonable is that goal?
Hiroyuki Yura: I think it is a lot of units.

Q: What do you think is a reasonable amount of units for Tiny Metal to sell?
Hiroyuki Yura: Probably 50,000.

Q: How many units do you think Tiny Metal will sell?
Hiroyuki Yura: Probably 100,000.

Q: If you think you will be short 50,000 units, what do you plan to do next as a company?
Hiroyuki Yura: We don’t need to discuss our internal business decisions. There are a lot of things I can’t tell you about. What I can tell you, in general, is this is not the only thing we do. We have other jobs that will basically feed us. That 50,000 [units] would be nice to concentrate on this, but if we can’t do that we can do recordings. We can do other work. We can do programming work for other companies. If we make the right game we hope, it will sell. If we don’t, it won’t sell. Then it will be another challenge to get Project Phoenix’s budget.

The interviews don't stop there, though. At the same event, USgamer also approached Yura, for more questions regarding a public accusation scuffle, in which a former employee of Yura, Tariq Lacy, claimed that Yura was embezzling money from Project Phoenix's Kickerstarter and that the crowdfunding had been a scam. Lacy had then reportedly asked to be removed from all matters involving Yura and his projects. In retaliation, Yura claimed that Lacy had sexually harassed workers and was removed from the project for inappropriate behavior. When USgamer questioned Yura about Project Phoenix on December 11th, he stated that some of the backlash was deserved for the numerous delays, adding that if he truly was attempting to scam backers, it would be easy for him to disappear, and that the project was not dead.

Of course, as shown with the previous Siliconera interview, the only way Project Phoenix will have funding to be completed one day, is if Tiny Metal sells around 150,000 units. It's quite the interesting drama, especially in the Kickstarter world of dramas, and we'll definitely have to come back to this topic in another article if more information comes out about it.

:arrow: Source 1

:arrow: Source 2

Capcom wants to port more games to the Switch
In an interview with Capcom, it seems that the company has found the Nintendo Switch to be a runaway success. Capcom's CEO stated that "the home + portable concept works better than expected, and that he wishes to port franchises to the Switch that would not normally appear on Nintendo consoles". It appears that we might see some big announcements from Capcom in 2018.

:arrow: Source

Square Enix interested in bringing older games to the Switch
Capcom isn't the only big publisher/developer interested in Nintendo's new hardware, either, as Square Enix wants to get in on the action, too. CEO Yosuke Matsuda made a comment that he wants Square Enix to focus on bringing older games to the Switch platform, for newer, younger audiences to enjoy once again. But not just straight ports of older games, he says, as he wants "modernized" ports with extra features and changes as well.

Spike Chunsoft opens up a North American branch
Spike Chunsoft, a company that many know as the developers of Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Danganronpa have recently started a studio in North America. Officially called Spike Chunsoft Inc., it will be part of the company's widened scope of localizations from its parent company in Japan.

General News

Sony to add ability for users to change their PSN username by next year
During PlayStation Experience 2017, Sony's Shawn Layden said during an interview that he's heard the requests for those who wish to change their PSN usernames, noting that it's "complex", but will hopefully be a feature by the next PlayStation Experience in 2018. During spring of last year, PlayStation held an official poll asking what changes customers wanted to see the most, in which changing usernames was one of the most wanted features. Layden has said before, back in 2014, that it was something PlayStation has been considering adding, but unsure if it was possible to do so.

Stardew Valley multiplayer beta delayed, PS Vita port revealed
Developer ConcernedApe has been working on adding multiplayer support to the indie hit game Stardew Valley, and a beta was set to launch at the end of the year, before 2018. However, he's announced that the beta has been delayed to Q1 2018 in order to iron out any bugs. To compensate for the delay, there will be brand new content added to the game when the multiplayer patch goes live next year. Finally, a PlayStation Vita port of Stardew Valley was also announced. It will be cross-buy with the PS4 version, but will lack any online multiplayer features.

Detective Pikachu game rated by PEGI
About a year ago, Japan got a Pokemon spinoff game by the name of Great Detective Pikachu on the Nintendo 3DS. Since then, there's been no word of a localization... until today. European ratings board, PEGI, has rated the game for European release. It currently has a placeholder release date and has the description of "Detective Pikachu is on the case! Investigate evidence, question possible witnesses and solve a curious mystery,". This leak comes after the announcement of a live-action Detective Pikachu movie (slated to release on May 10, 2019), as well.

Taiwan ratings board potentially leaks new Scribblenauts game

muOPAAt.png

It seems like there might be a new Scribblenauts revival on the horizon, as a Taiwanese ratings board has rated "Scribblenauts Showdown", for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. Developed by 5th Cell and published by Warner Bros, it will be the first game in the series since 2013's Scribblenauts: Unmasked. The Taiwan ratings board has previously leaked the existence of games before, including Ubisoft's Trial of the Blood Dragons, Grow Home, and BlazBlue: Central Fiction.

From Software hints that Armored Core series may get new installment one day
Renown developer of Dark Souls, From Software, decided to address fan questions about one of its older franchises, Armored Core. FromSoft tweeted that while there's nothing that they can officially announce, they ask fans to wait just a bit more, as the company has no intention on letting the series go to waste.

Pokemon GO gets Gen 3 characters
For those who still play Pokemon's hit mobile game, Pokemon Go, Niantic has added the third generation of Pokemon in an update. This update adds 50 creatures that were introduced in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, such as Mudkip, Zigzagoon, Salamence, Gardevoir, and more. You can either run into the Pokemon by walking around randomly, or hatching them from eggs.

Shadow of the Colossus gets special edition and comparison trailer
Sony's Shadow of the Colossus' PlayStation 4 remake will be getting a Special Edition Box Set, which will feature a steelbook of the game, postcards, manual, digital bonuses, "ancient bow", "cloak of fate", two PS4 themes, a map, an avatar set, and stickers. The box set will launch on February 6, 2018, and will retail for $49.99. The company also uploaded a comparison video, to showcase the graphical improvements from the PS2 version, to the PS3 version, and now the PS4. Additionally, PS4 Pro users will be able to toggle "cinematic" and "performance" options, which cause the game to run at 4K HDR @ 30fps, or lower resolution and a solid 60fps rate.

Rocket League Christmas event has started
If you're in the mood to celebrate your holiday cheer by playing soccer with cars, Rocket League has you covered. "Frosty Fest" has just started, as of December 11, and will last until January 2nd, during which players can obtain "snowflakes" by playing, to redeem for Christmas themed holiday cosmetic items for your cars, or of course, lootcrates.

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp to get garden and clothing features
According to the official Animal Crossing Twitter account, it looks like the recently released Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp will be getting two new features in an update next month. The first of which is a "garden" feature, that shows a player planting flowers, while the second is "outfit crafting", in which you'll likely be able to use ingame resources to make clothes for your character.

Game Announcements

Patapon 2 Remastered announced for PS4
After the success of Patapon 1 Remastered, Sony Interactive Entertainment will be remastering Patapon 2 as well. Patapon 2 Remastered will feature 4K graphics on the PS4 Pro, and will launch in 2018.

Enter the Gungeon coming to Nintendo Switch
The well received bullet-hell roguelite Enter the Gungeon will be getting a port to Nintendo Switch next week. Developed by Dodge Roll Games and originally released in April 2016 for PC and later ported to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One earlier this year, the Switch version will be launching December 14 for North America, and December 18 for Europe.

Ace Attorney: Investigations gets mobile port
The Ace Attorney spinoff game, Ace Attorney: Investigations has suddenly launched for iOS and Android, with high resolution assets. This of course, could mean good news for 3DS owners, as all of the mobile Ace Attorney ports have also been released on the 3DS at a later date. There is no word on the still untranslated Ace Attorney: Investigations 2.

Papers, Please gets PS Vita version

Initially teased at Gamescom 2014, the PlayStation Vita version of Papers, Please has been in limbo for three years. However, that all changes soon, as the developer of the game, 3909 LLC has suddenly revealed that the port is planned to release on December 12, 2017.

Though it's 2017, the Game Boy has a new game

You heard right! Thanks to the power of indie developers and love of old school handhelds, the original Game Boy has a new release. Created by Tangram Games, the game is called Tobu Tobu Girl, and is a game about a girl trying to rescue her cat. The music and visuals look and sound right out of the early 1990s, too! And if you really like the game, the developers are selling a boxed copy of it, Game Boy cart and all, for $40.00. You can also go to their official site to download the game legally and emulate it.
Rumor Mill

Take these ones with a grain of salt

Rumor: Dark Souls remaster in the works, for Switch (Will be proven true or false on Dec 15)
Reportedly, Namco Bandai will be holding a press event, showcasing five unannounced games, with Nintendo to have a large presence at the event. Supposedly, one of the games will be Dark Souls, remastered, for the Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. The original Tweet with the leaked info has since been deleted. This rumor, if true, will take place on December 15.

Rumor: Battlefield Bad Company 3 might be the next Battlefield game
Onwards with rumors, we have YouTube user "almightydaq", making a claim that he has "insider" information for the 2018 Battlefield game. He claims that the game will take place during the era of the Vietnam War, and will feature the same classic online gamemodes as other Battlefield games, as well as gun and vehicle customization. The game will also will try to stray away from heavy micro-transactions. EA and Dice plan to reveal the game at E3 2018. What makes this particular leak credible, is that this same user also told the public of the existence of Battlefield 1, far before an official announcement is made. This doesn't mean that the rumor is entirely true, however it does have some weight behind it, as the leaker has proven himself in the past.

Emulation/Hacking News

Cemu 1.11.1 Improvements

Improved PPC recompiler
Improved online support
Fixed graphic bugs
Compatibility improvements
ErrEula implementation (Wii U's message box system)
Misc bug fixes

RPCS3 November progress report
RPCS3, the PlayStation 3 emulator has had quite the year. In a single month, the team behind it has gotten nearly 70 games to go from "ingame" to "playable" status, and just a few under 100 titles have moved from "not working" to either "ingame" or "playable", as well! You can check out the full detailed report in the source below.

Sega Genesis and Master System emulators on 5.01 FW PS4
Twitter user "m0rph3us1987" has uploaded a video showing their 5.01 FW PlayStation 4 booting up and running classic Sega game emulators. The emulation itself is quite slow, but it still is interesting to see what people can make happen at this time in the scene. There is no release for the moment.

Trailers

Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality: PSVR Announcement Trailer

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT: Launch Character Roster Trailer

"The Forest" gets multiplayer trailer, 2018 release

SoulCalibur VI Gameplay Video

Release Calendars

December 12
Okami HD (PS4/XBO/PC)
The End is Nigh (NS)
Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition (PS4/PC/XBO)
December 14
Yooka-Laylee (NS)
Gungrave VR (PSVR)
December 15
Omega Quintet (PC)
Romancing SaGa 2 (PC/PS4/PSV/XBO)
December 20
Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 3 (PS4/XBO/PC)
Bridge Constructor: Portal (PC)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chary Is there any information about a game, Dragon: Marked for death for nintendo switch? :unsure:

Also I speak for myself when i see people like capcom and square enix having INTEREST in PORTING OLDER games to nintendo switch, where was you when the WII U was released, NOWHERE. Nintendo makes a new system, let's see some new games. I don't want switch to be a dumping ground shovel ware for something they could have already done years ago when it was relevant. :angry:

Look, I am not saying a port is ever bad unless done poorly, but no one buys a brand new system to just see a bunch of old games pop up on it all of a sudden within a year's time, the problem being that none of these companies considered making stuff for the wii u only to turn around and take a good look at the switch to just dump stuff that i bet could have been on the wii u, and the potential the price can be higher than on other systems is also bad business. But don't listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm just a person who doesn't know nothing. $60 port of wii u games and port of games that was out since playstation 3 was relevant.:nayps3:

HOOOOOOOOOOO MY FUCKIN GOD
Goodbye "ShadeTH2002", you embarrassing piece of shit username
Hello "tomatohentai"
Yeah sony allow changing names, better hope it doesn't cost money like microsoft on xbox live :ninja:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for this extensive month information.

I don't like the idea of companies wanting to ports all their old games, because they might focus only on old ones and forget to create new games or new IP. (and also because they are always selling them a high price as if it was a new game, while they didn't have to hire an all new team to create it from scratch).
But, speaking of port....
One thing got my attention : Port of Romancing SaGa 2!

Ok, ports like that are nice :P
specially games which were never officially released outside of japan.
no Switch port planed? originally a nintendo game, it's odd they kept the switch away.

Last edited by Cyan,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for this extensive month information.

I don't like the idea of companies wanting to ports all their old games, because they might focus only on old ones and forget to create new games or new IP. (and also because they are always selling them a high price as if it was a new game, while they didn't have to hire an all new team to create it from scratch).
But, speaking of port....
One thing got my attention : Port of Romancing SaGa 2!

Ok, ports like that are nice :P
specially games which were never officially released outside of japan.
no Switch port planed? originally a nintendo game, it's odd they kept the switch away.
The Secret of Mana remake isn't coming to the Switch either, if I'm not mistaken. Why, is a good question, as many of the people interested in such games would be on Nintendo consoles, having grown up with the originals on SNES (I'm talking people from Japan as well) and are the type of retrogamers that appreciates Nintendo games.

Last edited by Zense,
D

Deleted User

Capcom wants to port more games to the Switch
In an interview with Capcom, it seems that the company has found the Nintendo Switch to be a runaway success. Capcom's CEO stated that "the home + portable concept works better than expected, and that he wishes to port franchises to the Switch that would not normally appear on Nintendo consoles". It appears that we might see some big announcements from Capcom in 2018.
I mean, last time I remember discussing this, I expressed my wish for Capcom to put Street Fighter III on the system. Now that that's apparently taken care of, I'm beginning to take Capcom's focus on the Switch a bit more seriously. I'm curious as to what they're gonna port next.

Square Enix interested in bringing older games to the Switch
Capcom isn't the only big publisher/developer interested in Nintendo's new hardware, either, as Square Enix wants to get in on the action, too. CEO Yosuke Matsuda made a comment that he wants Square Enix to focus on bringing older games to the Switch platform, for newer, younger audiences to enjoy once again. But not just straight ports of older games, he says, as he wants "modernized" ports with extra features and changes as well.
It's kind of a pipe dream, but it would be damn nice if Kingdom Hearts I and II got ported to the Switch. Given how things are going with Square and Sony however, this probably isn't going to happen.

Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality: PSVR Announcement Trailer
Truly, a game for intellectuals.

HOOOOOOOOOOO MY FUCKIN GOD
Goodbye "ShadeTH2002", you embarrassing piece of shit username
Hello "tomatohentai"
Though it could be argued that Hentai regarding tomatoes is just as unusual. :P

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know, that's quite scummy.
I tried to change my name, it says it requires $3 i think to do so, meanwhile steam is free. Since I don't really do much with xbox live anyway. I just had to make a account cause I played Killer instinct on my pc. (This was before the steam release)

Reactions: Deleted-379826

IzeC0ld

N$K867
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Though it's 2017, the Game Boy has a new game

You heard right! Thanks to the power of indie developers and love of old school handhelds, the original Game Boy has a new release. Created by Tangram Games, the game is called Tobu Tobu Girl, and is a game about agirl trying to rescue her cat. The music and visuals look and sound right out of the early 1990s, too! And if you really like the game, the developers are selling a boxed copy of it, Game Boy cart and all, for $40.00. You canalso go to their official site to download the game legally and emulate it.
Lol next thing you know theres gonna be making games for even older consoles

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol next thing you know theres gonna be making games for even older consoles

Guess you never saw this then

That's already a thing. People have been making new games for systems like the Neo Geo, Dreamcast, SNES, and even as far back as the Atari.
Just like he said here, these are just unlicensed games, not really homebrew. Or people prefer aftermarket games, which is just games made for retro systems.

Reactions: Deleted User

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Romancing SaGa 2 (PC/PS4/PSV/XBO)
Why, is a good question, as many of the people interested in such games would be on Nintendo consoles, having grown up with the originals on SNES

Actually, that game is available on Switch eShop since Dec 15th :)
Good surprise and decision from square !

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Zense

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s