This thread will be deleted/locked, so...

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by iwakura, Jul 15, 2007.

Jul 15, 2007
  1. iwakura
    OP

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    Okay guys, show some support for me here. I'm writing under the name Injustice, since I'll likely be banned.

Here's the link, but here's a copy of my post since it will probably be deleted.
    http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?p=47059#post47059

MY POST:

Well, as some of you may have been interested in reading, the thread named "State of this forum" was recently locked, and I laughed through gritted teeth at the injustice of it.

Here is the original post that the DS-X Guru replied to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Churock View Post
    From reading the continuing flame posts, etc., i believe i have come up with the perfect solution to all of these DS-X forum problems:

1. Customers of the DS-X who are not please with the current firmware should once again save up funds and purchase either the R4, the cyclosEvo, or another(slot 1) flash card to replace their current, customer-considered, "non-satisfactory" DS-X solution.

In doing this the following result would possibly occur:
    1. If customers take this advise there will be a shift of DS-X users to other card manufacturers. In their shifting so to will anyone whom they would have previously advised to purchase a DS-X slot 1 flash cart.
    2. The movement of customers away from the DS-X will decrease incoming revenue to the DS-X team thereby forcing them to reconsidered their current business structure. Either they will update firmware like crazy to keep people with their product or they will be forced to end the production of the DS-X carts.
    3. Finally, with customers moving to other card companies, like the R4 or cyclosEvo, etc., those companies increased revenues will lead to more firmware updates, better card construction, and more support due to the increase in funding because of new customers.

If customers are facing an issue with the DS-X product, of which they consider to be "non-satisfactory", as the customer it is your right to change companies and search for a better product. Make your opinion heard by taking action, not flaming on these forums.

ME: Now, I want to reply to DS-X Guru; breaking down his statement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DS-X Guru
    Wow, just Wow You live in imagination land, where maybe's become facts, and everything ends the way you want it. Now, just for the giggles, I can post you a different outcome:

1) DS-X no longer receives any buisness / customers
    ME:He had already addressed this in #2.

Quote:
    This can result in DS-X closing it's DS development completely since the revenue coming from the product can no longer sustain the development cost of a new OS.
    ME:We are not asking for a new OS. I don't think a single user has asked for that. We are asking for an update to the current OS. If you consider firmware updates as a new OS, then remember this as you continue to read my comments: You just claimed you have no more money for updates

Quote:
    We would face internally the decision if we give one more full thrust to either resurrect the product and waste more "money" on it, by spending our last resources on development and marketing OR, we completely drop the product, move on and do something new, maybe not even DS related.
    ME:I'm sorry, was that last line a threat? You clearly do not understand. If we took his advice, who cares if you move to something else? We wouldn't need your updates or you.

Quote:
    You will not just get DS-X to "fall down", no, you actually get all the customers who bought a card to no longer receive updates; And all that because your latest crime was not successful on our card. Worse is, we aren't even rushing an update for you in this situation to enable you to steal!
    ME:As I mentioned, it wouldn't matter to us. We would finally stop complaining to you guys, and just avoid you altogether.

Quote:
    So you want DS-X to close down it's doors, stop making updates at all, just because we don't enable your crimes? I am sorry, but that seems selfish, childish and worst of all, criminal.
    ME:We are trying to stop other people from getting a naturally defective product. It is neither selfish, childish, or criminal. The only possible criminal part to it would be the support of ROM games, but your product does not work for all homebrew. Simply because people download music from the internet, do we stop all computers from playing media? No. The media player will play MP3s, whether they are pirated, downloaded, bought, or stolen. The DS-X however, is simply handicapped; adding new updates may let it play pirated games, but would also allow it to play legitimate homebrew and Roms. It is the user's fault if they play illegal games. It is YOUR fault if the card does not do what you claim.

Quote:
    Now of course this is talking out of my a**, but it's just like in imagination land, were possibilities are demonstrated as fact.
    ME:There's a difference between your and his comment. His information was helpful; yours was useless. You didn't help anybody, suggest a solution, nothing. You basically told us "you guys are screwed," while he gave us an alternative option.

Quote:
    Remember, we never forced people to actually buy our product, we are neither misleading them in any way or con'ing them into buying it - It was your CHOICE!.

Our forums are open for information, if you are really such a big enthusiast, you check out the forums first, see what kind of issues can arise; and that for any product you are about to purchase.
    ME:No arguement here. I knew full well about its flaws before buying it. I only bought it so I could honestly say that, from my experience, it sucked. However, this is a rather pathetic cover-up to say "our product sucks, but you bought it, so too bad!"

Quote:
    But obviously, you bought the card on the expectation that we would support one or the other person's habit of stealing, and I can confirm you, we don't. We don't rush an update out the door just so you can steal, it simply won't happen.
    ME:No, we didn't. Like the example in the metaphor with Windows Media Player, we expect it to run what it was made to run. Nothing more, nothing less

Quote:
    We release updates when they are done. We won't let the few criminals make us rush out firmwares that are not working properly just so they can steal. For anything else, the card works just fine and dandy.
    ME:The few firmwares that have been released were buggy enough. And that was before the large amount of "criminals" rushing you. They started getting rowdy because of the horrible update.

Quote:
    So, with that, I am closing this thread, as it's a huge waste of time for anyone reading it, worse is, its lacking any constructivity other then you trying to rebel against the "oh so big" company called DS-X.
    ME:No, it is not a waste of time. If there is one thing that I learned, it was that the DS-X team will not listen to our demands, will not provide solutions, and simply does not care.

Edit: Changed some grammar on DS-X forum, so I updated here too.

2. loathsome

Member loathsome GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Lol, you've got yourself a fitting avatar [​IMG]

3. iwakura
    OP

United States
    It was a friend's suggestion (also owner of a DS-X [​IMG])

4. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Of course, many good points. Sadly, there just is no talking to these guys. They don't care. At all. But if you want another point, could always ask what happened to the linux and mac software.

I bought the wrong cart and got burned, I've accepted that and have moved on.

5. iwakura
    OP

United States
    Heh, like I said in the post, I bought it since I could honestly say that it sucked. I knew what I was getting myself into. At least I can use the disco lights haha.

6. cyklo

Newcomer cyklo Member

United Kingdom
    Mine makes a very pathetic paperweight now. On the bright side, the replacement R4 didn't cost very much [​IMG]

7. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I would reply but I'm afraid they will cancel my replacement [​IMG]
    The replacement of the prize given to my competition winner a LONG time ago.

- Sam

8. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Wow man, they pretty much just tell you "we got your cash, F off"...

9. iwakura
    OP

United States

10. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Anyone else even tried using these "lovable" applications? Lovable was not the right choice of words I think. Device Crashing might be more accurate.

Personally, I think reviews of DS-X on many sites should be edited with nice big red bold letters reading "DS-X TEAM DOES NOT CONDONE OR SUPPORT THE USE OF COMMERCIAL ROMS". If that's the message they want to give off, why not share it with everyone?

11. Sinkhead

United Kingdom
    So true...

- Sam

12. iwakura
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] I was quoting another user in their forum; it was well written [​IMG]

13. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    By "crimes" he means downloading commercial games right? Cause having a picture of Mario in front of the DS-X logo on his avatar really helps his case [​IMG] (just an observation).

14. Sinkhead

United Kingdom
    I agree. Also, the ROMs section on your website... Hmm, now I wonder where you got that idea from [​IMG] Or am I mistaken?
    But back on topic. The DS-X is DESIGNED to run ROMs no matter what the team says (or doesn't say). If it didn't run ROMs it simply would not sell. It's simple.

- Sam

15. cyklo

Newcomer cyklo Member

United Kingdom
    The thing is, the skinning engine *is* very powerful with a proper scripting language. Back when it was my flashcard of choice, I had big plans for what I was going to do with it. Unfortunately, nothing ever came because of no useful documentation or API information from the team (no communications, surprise!)

Presumably the skinning app is still "coming soon" six months later.

16. iwakura
    OP

United States
    As for the rom section - I didn't steal the idea from anywhere, although they may claim so. I'm sure I wasn't the first to do this. Did I steal the idea from you? I don't see it on your website, if so.

Yeah, the DS-X was designed to play ROMs, everyone knows that. I had to argue on their terms though, so...yeah.

17. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Someone feel free to give this app a test on a DS-X for me, and let me know via PM if it doesn't work (and feel free to send them the source code in that case, but only if it passes the initial check for 2mbit saver, I may have to adjust that a bit if it can't see the save chip). If it does work fine, I'll be happy to find and *try* to take apart Zelda and make a new app that doesn't (but should). BTW: as far as I am aware, there is no official cart with 2MB(yte) EEPROM, 2MBit/4MBit FLASH maybe, but not EEPROM.

18. Sinkhead

United Kingdom
    I removed it a week ago, it's just that my text was almost exactly the same as yours and it also had that smiley. But I believe you and even if you did see it there's nothing wrong with that (hence the [​IMG], sometimes it's hard to convey emotion on the Internet)

- Sam

19. iwakura
    OP

United States
    Heh, great minds think alike? [​IMG]

20. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    So this is basically a buyers remorse thread.