1. Moon164

OP Moon164 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I was crazy looking for the roms to do the test, I ended up choosing to download Super Mario 3D All Star and extracting the .xci to get the .gcm file containing the Super Mario Sunshine iso

It worked without any problems when I opened it in Dolphin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the cutscenes have a black screen because the videos are in a separate folder that the Nintendo emulator uses to load (only the audio and subtitles are left)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I decided to try Nintendont on my Wii U to see if it would work the same way.

I was really curious, the layout of the Game Cube buttons are not so good on the GamePad, with the button layout of the Switch it would be perfect on the Wii U, I also wondered if it would work with Widescreen.

But to my surprise when I tried to load the game :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The image was as you can see in the image, but not only that, the game was running considerably slow.

I tried to change some settings in Nintendont but the result was always the same and only this game ran like that.

Well, who was curious if the Super Mario 3D All Star .iso containing Super Mario Sunshine would work on the Wii U Nintendont, this is the result.

britain4, DarkDengar, IC_ and 5 others like this.
  2. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

Canada
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing! :D

IC_ and Moon164 like this.
  3. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy HEY YOU GUYS!

United Kingdom
    Interesting. Could this be a nintendont problem (probably the wrong word to use...maybe nintendont can be patched) or simply a hardware issue due to the upgrades on the textures? I'm clutching at straws here!!

Good work on getting them out, have you tried galaxy?

Moon164 likes this.
  4. rufuszombot

rufuszombot Assassin

United States
    Try holding B when you boot the game. I'm pretty sure by default it boots the PAL 50hz option, but 60hz if you hold B on boot, which the switch collection does by default.

Moon164 likes this.
  5. Moon164

OP Moon164 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I'll try in a little while, I'll tell you the results later.

I extracted the game, but I couldn't find anything like a Super Mario Galaxy iso inside it.

I found a .gcm file containing Super Mario Sunshine iso ( Super_Mario_Sunshine_Stardust-trimmed.gcm ) and a .bin file containing Super Mario 64 rom ( 01_UNSMJ3.002.bin ), but nothing like that from Galaxy, It's a shame, it would be a chance to be able to play Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii U using the GamePad without needing the Wii Remote.

Last edited by Moon164, Sep 16, 2020
    Lostbhoy likes this.
  6. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy HEY YOU GUYS!

United Kingdom
    Curiousor and curiousor!! I'll try download them and have a peek myself, its gotta be there somewhere...... Cant promise anything but i need a new project to meddle with!!

Moon164 likes this.
  7. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i dont see the point in wasting time when the wii u plays cube games anyway

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Galaxy is recompiled, I guess there is no iso (just the extracted assets)

Moon164 and Lostbhoy like this.
  9. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Mexico
    wild theory, maybe the Nintendon't Widescreen patch is interfering with the game actually running in widescreen?

Lostbhoy and Moon164 like this.
  10. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy HEY YOU GUYS!

United Kingdom
    Off topic i know... But i find it hilarious that in all these threads regarding the 3d allstars, I get ads to pre order the game on eShop :rofl2::rofl2:

Was thinking about the widescreen patch but i dont think that would affect the speed of the game as moon said earlier its running rather slow.

Last edited by Lostbhoy, Sep 16, 2020
    Moon164 likes this.
  11. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Classic Wii U Wii Mode video interface emulation bug.

Works fine(-ish) on GameCube, if you're curious.
    [​IMG]

DarkDengar and Moon164 like this.
  12. godreborn

godreborn Retired

United States
    although I've heard it can be removed, the configuration file is probably important in the long run. it may be like the ps3 config files, which I think have been ported to ps4 for ps2 emulation. those were taken from the softemu, at least many of them, which was an emulator you could use with the cobra dongle on 3.55 or through factory service mode. it might be quite a bit more difficult here, since there's only the config for sunshine.

Moon164 likes this.
  13. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

It's kind of pointless to play this version, because it only runs with a letterboxed 640*360 window. The original game ran at 640*448, but this new one has a smaller vertical resolution, which is how it achieves widescreen. To be clear, this doesn't mean the game runs at 360p on Switch--their emulator runs at an increased resolution over the original console, similar to how Dolphin works, so the exact framebuffer size isn't really relevant there.

On GameCube, Wii or Wii U hardware though, the game will just display letterboxed, because ... that's what the game does. On real hardware, we don't have the benefit of making up our own rules like emulators can. It's possible someone could modify the disc image to run at 640*480 or similar, to create a version that could be run in widescreen without letterboxing, but at that point I'm not sure if that's any less work than starting from scratch and patching the original game instead of this version.

14. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Are you sure?

[​IMG]

Moon164 and Vague Rant like this.
  15. Vague Rant

OK, clearly I should have said "on hardware and if we aren't Extrems." Very impressive!

16. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It's an option in GCVideo-DVI v3.0+ anyone can use...

17. Vague Rant

Ah, I'm very unfamiliar with GCVideo. But am I right in assuming that means you're still limited to 360p and GCVideo is just scaling out the black bars? If that's the case, the original game still seems superior.

18. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It's more so that GCVideo isn't generating the black bars when you turn off this option.

Vague Rant likes this.
  19. Vague Rant

If anyone wants to play in 60 FPS, I ported gamemasterplc's code to the Switch build:
    Code:
    60FPS (Switch) [gamemasterplc & Vague Rant]
    0440B2B8 3F800000
    042F37D4 60000000
    044093B4 3CA3D70A
    C20066EC 00000002
    C2C28028 EC2105B2
    FEC00890 00000000
    Note: The 60 FPS code causes a crash if used with subtitles enabled (across the board, this issue is not specific to the Switch build), and the Switch version enables subtitles by default. Go into the Options and turn off subtitles if you plan to use this code.

Moon164 likes this.
  20. Gunstorm

Brazil
    probally in a near future the sunshine and galaxy can be run on WIIU using the widescreen and resolution uprade like nintendo use to swtich?

Moon164 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Sunshine, happens, Ninten