kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Depravo said:
Pah, that's nothing.

A new DS game costs £25 - £30 in the UK. That's US$50 - US$60.

In the UK £30 (average price of a game) works out around $66 AUS

a game costing $40 AUS would be around half the price if it was the equivalent in the UK would be just £17 which would be a reasonable price to pay..

@DKAngel can you see the difference now that although $40 to you is nothing to others its far more expensive!

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What i don't get is how they think they can sell a NFS DS game for the same as you'd buy it for the 360/PS3... complete rip-off.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
k4sHmuNn1 said:
Depravo said:
Pah, that's nothing.

A new DS game costs £25 - £30 in the UK. That's US$50 - US$60.

woah ok inflation isnt that bad. A pound does not amount to 2 dollars. Try $33-$39

depends the exchange rate is pretty erratic of late.....

xe.com currently shows ...

Live rates at 2009.02.06 23:03:25 UTC

1.00 GBP = 1.47730 USD

and

1.00 GBP = 1.14302 EUR

and

1.00 GBP = 2.18707 AUD

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...and don't forget that European & Australian prices generally have VAT (c. 20% baked in on top of everything...)

But the OP does have a point, no handheld game is worth $40, ok maybe DQIX will be, but nothing else out there is worth more than $25-30 and many of those are more realistically $5-15 titles, e.g. Orcs & Elves which took me about 3h or so to finish IIRC, or about what I find to really be worth c. $5.

Wow! The pound has gone down the crapper recently, as last I looked around December it was worth c. 1.8 USD...

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
cutterjohn said:
...and don't forget that European & Australian prices generally have VAT (c. 20% baked in on top of everything...)

But the OP does have a point, no handheld game is worth $40, ok maybe DQIX will be, but nothing else out there is worth more than $25-30 and many of those are more realistically $5-15 titles, e.g. Orcs & Elves which took me about 3h or so to finish IIRC, or about what I find to really be worth c. $5.

Wow! The pound has gone down the crapper recently, as last I looked around December it was worth c. 1.8 USD...

Probably because we have a one-eyed idiot running the country.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get what you're at on the original post, but economy or not $40 is steep for a DS game. It's the long standing since the 16bit days Squaresoft Nerd Tax. If you're a fan you pay a $10+ premium depending on the system. It pisses me off to no end and I usually wait until I have some credit on file, a good sale, or find a title used for a better price. Nothing released to DS is really worth $40 when the priciest PSP game is also $40 and you get a lot more work, effort, time, and overall bang for the buck in presentation values alone. I may have some of their games, but I got FF3 free, FF4 on reduction, FFCCRoF on a deal or used I forget, and those $20 taito releases like Space Invaders already are fairly set. I want DQ5 bad, wanted it since I knew of it on the Super Famicom, so I can wait a bit longer. There's so many PSP, Wii and other DS games coming I want (2-3 a month) this and next month I'll live.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
An average DS games in Japan costs around 5800 yen that's equivalent to 58 US dollars much more expensive than the US and EU and don't get me started on special edition bundles being 2-3x that price. With that insane price for a DS game I see people getting a flashcart. It's worse once you get into home consoles with games costing 70-80 US dollars on average.

Aleatz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
aleatz.blogspot.com
XP
Country
The standard for new DS games here in Oz is $70, which translates to $47US. And since Australian GST is only 10%, there is still no reason for Americans to be bitching about one $40 game. After all, America basically has the cheapest video games.

XRacer101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well actually DS games in other countries like Europe, Australia and Japan are way more. America has the cheapest video games. But no handheld video game is worth 40$.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool