• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

This is so messed up; Dragon Ball Anime VA accused of sexual harassment

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. Everyone's telling Vic to go the nuclear option. They have tarnished his reputation, and ruined his livelihood. After the Broly movie he should be fine for a while, but he needs to begin making strategic nuclear action against Funimation & Rooster Teeth for unlawful termination, the SJWs for slander and for forging evidence, Anime News Network for Libel, etc.
Sure, but you need to understand and accept that he might not elect to take that route, and that he probably has his reasons if he doesn't. As I said, any method of proving himself innocent would require a lot more scrutiny into his personal life.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I've been following this case and it's been absolutely fucking ridiculous. Vic Mignona (pronounced: Miñana) has been thrown under the bus by just about everyone from FUNimation and people on Twitter/Facebook and other websites are making shit up to make him look like a monster. Vic was fired from FUNimation and other places, as such, he was recasted by other voice actors. I'd not be surprised if FUNimation delayed the release of Super Broly on Blu-ray just so they redub Broly's lines.

Thing is, all of them say he did this and that but they never show actual evidence. It's like some chick claimed that I'm the father of her child and now I'd have to pay child support — Fuck that shit, DNA test! Mignogna deserves a fair trial, enough of he she said nonsense.

2019 is still in its early stage and has already shown how much insanity there is in the world.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wow, so Bulma and her voice actor have something in common, they're both cunts.
You just skimmed thru some altered details and came to the conclusion of insulting him, and her? I assume you'd not like if someone on the web called you that.

Monica Rial should have been fired but I refuse to insult her in such an uneducated and immature manner.

Reactions: CORE

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
His life is pretty much ruined. Even if he gets cleared and no proof comes up, he done. People aren’t going to trust him. He’s probably going to have a harder time finding a job. And there’s going to be people out there that are going to rationalize him not getting criminal charges as proof of a toxic male society, where men have power and let other men get away with crimes. And it’s because of these people that are going to be the problem for why he is going to have a harder time in life now. This is really messed up.
His life is far from ruined. Once found inocent (if he is) he will find work again no problem.

I can name you at least 20 famous people accused of crimes far worse than sexual harassment for instance attempted murder and pedophilia that are as famous if not more so than they were before being accused.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just skimmed thru some altered details and came to the conclusion of insulting him, and her? I assume you'd not like if someone on the web called you that.
She seemed like a total cunt the way she handled her Twitter, and then suddenly became a rape victim. Also, if some random person called me a cunt on the internet, I probably wouldn't care.

Bulma is a Babe How Dare You Insult! "MY BULMA!!!"

@Viri
She's a total bitch in Dragon Ball and Z.

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chi Chi Now that is a Bitch I prefer Android 18 over all Tough and straight to the point.

@Viri I was making a pun or rather quote from Vegetta in DragonBall Super

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, are people saying that the pics circulating around that portray Vic kissing a 14 year old on the cheek are fakes?

Cause, there's no reason a grown man should be doing that to a 14 year old.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Again, I don't know all the facts, but it seems like he has not just one but multiple accusers, and they all worked closely with him. If he thought he was fired unfairly he could've sued his employer, but that would also bring a closer scrutiny upon himself; a double-edged sword.

In any case I put little stock in the 'conspiracy to take him down because he's a popular straight white male' angle, it'll likely be another straight white male replacing him. Vic has options for proving himself innocent in the long run, if that is indeed the case.
I've been following this case and it's been absolutely fucking ridiculous. Vic Mignona (pronounced: Miñana) has been thrown under the bus by just about everyone from FUNimation and people on Twitter/Facebook and other websites are making shit up to make him look like a monster. Vic was fired from FUNimation and other places, as such, he was recasted by other voice actors. I'd not be surprised if FUNimation delayed the release of Super Broly on Blu-ray just so they redub Broly's lines.

Thing is, all of them say he did this and that but they never show actual evidence. It's like some chick claimed that I'm the father of her child and now I'd have to pay child support — Fuck that shit, DNA test! Mignogna deserves a fair trial, enough of he she said nonsense.

2019 is still in its early stage and has already shown how much insanity there is in the world.

Monica Rial should have been fired but I refuse to insult her in such an uneducated and immature manner.

Consider this. I heared that Monica Rial is dating the boss of Funimation. So all it takes is her accusation to have the head guy, as well as all the other voice actors working under him, to side with her.

This makes the Funimation investigation, which was way too fast and short to be even considered a good investigation, to be skeptical.

Most people that side with Vics, side with him since no evidence is presented to the public. All it takes is some evidence and everyone will quickly change sides and support Monica. But none has been shown yet.

Right now Monica and people who support her are handling this very poorly compared to Vic. They been deleting comments. Banning people. Just for asking for some evidence, since this is a mans life they are ruining.

His life is far from ruined. Once found inocent (if he is) he will find work again no problem.

I can name you at least 20 famous people accused of crimes far worse than sexual harassment for instance attempted murder and pedophilia that are as famous if not more so than they were before being accused.
If he’s proven innocent I hope so. And I hope the crazies will not give him a hard time. So far there is hardly a police investigation. It’s just accusations online, which I find odd. You would think people sexually harassed will get the police involved.

So far I think people probably didn’t even feel uncomfortable or are even bothered that Vic is a huggy person. They just want to ruin him.

Last edited by SG854,

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I absolutely love his performances in FMA and Persona, and he's always been amusing at the anime convention panels I've seen him at. But, it's all allegations. It could be true, it could be false. I hope it's false.
He seems like a really really nice guy. It’s hard to believe he’ll do something like this.

There’s this video of him defending LGBT. Which makes the homophobia accusations ridiculous.

If they are proven false, this pretty much means Monica Rial (Bulma) and Chris Sabbat (Vegeta) threw him under the bus. His days working with Funination and Dragon Ball are pretty much over. Chris usually directs other voice actors, and Monica I heard is dating the boss of Funi. No way you are going to work with people who accused you of harrassment.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Sometimes the accusations are enough...
This whole thing is crazy. Now Monica Rial is having sexual allegations against her. People accusing her of grabbing peoples butts.

Remember many of these allegations, for both Vic and Monica are on social media, no police investigations, just people saying stuff online. But it was these online allegations that got Vic fired.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Consider this. I heared that Monica Rial is dating the boss of Funimation.
I heard is not a reliable source. Also seems irrelevant, as if every decision a woman makes has to be about love interests.

This whole thing is crazy. Now Monica Rial is having sexual allegations against her. People accusing her of grabbing peoples butts.
And it doesn't seem the least bit obvious to you that these are likely angry fans of Vic who have never been anywhere near Monica? I suppose it is possible that sexual assault just runs rampant at Funimation and they're throwing orgies every other day, but it seems unlikely.

Sabarek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: why are the English voice actors always the ones to get wrapped in these kind of scandals, to offend fans on Twitter, to protest for more money (when Japanese don't protest and just do their job with care), to refuse to play their roles again?...
English VA are there to dub things, not to be compelling or to be the voices of the characters. They are there so that you would feel comfortable learning how to appreciate the original work, just like translations of books are there to encourage you to learn the language and experience them in the way they were written.

As of sexual harassment... I remember the recent E3 when this woman who was presenting games called out some nerdy-looking guy and asked him "what, you wanna do it with me?". No idea why, but this happened on E3 and everyone saw it. Guess what? She didn't loose her job, media did not go crazy and nobody really cares. Not sure if it was a EA conference... but yeah, that is sexual harassment. And yet, nobody cares because a woman did it.

I also remember reading an article on Polygon where the "writer" complained that he is tired of "playing as white dudes". Imagine what would have happened if he said that he's tired "playing as colored dudes / women".

This is all a huge problem and it doesn't end with "sexual harassment".

Last edited by Sabarek,
D

Deleted User

Should be worth mentioning that most VAs aren't employees but companies contract them for different projects. Same goes for writers.
Also, regarding the videos about Jamie Marchi: Funimation staff has said on their discord, after I scrutinized Funimation for Jamie's disturbing language, that Jamie isn't an employee and hasn't been contracted by Funimation in a while.

Also, I take the PR statement about investigating Vic with a grain of salt. Reps are paid say whatever sounds best that they can get away with. The public asked for an investigation and have now been told there was one. Whether they did an investigation or whether there was a corrupt investigation isn't something that the public can prove or disprove.

Also worth noting that regardless of how employees feel about any controversy over a colleague, a company is obligated to take what ever stance deemed most likely to protect its image and revenue.

Reactions: Xzi

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country
To all those saying "we don't know the facts" here are the facts: he was accused of being too touchy with fans, and possibly in general. While i get that some people may not like that, it's nothing criminal or even sexual, also i'm pretty sure he would have stopped if he was asked to without dogpiling him with accusations. Then some 30 year old stories came out about how he pushed some woman against a wall. 1. I'm way past the point of giving women the benefit of the doubt at this point. No police report = you are a fucking liar, don't @ me. 2. even if you take the story seriously, it was that he pushed her against a wall, and then let her go after several rejections, in other words, he did nothing criminal. 3. the universal question in all these cases, why was it neccesasary to wait 30 years?

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I heard is not a reliable source. Also seems irrelevant, as if every decision a woman makes has to be about love interests.

And it doesn't seem the least bit obvious to you that these are likely angry fans of Vic who have never been anywhere near Monica? I suppose it is possible that sexual assault just runs rampant at Funimation and they're throwing orgies every other day, but it seems unlikely.
That is why I said heard, I wanted to let people know that this isn’t certain from me because I don’t know if it’s true or not. It’s just a rumor. Just something I’m throwing out there.

I got it from this video. But I do find the guy sketchy though. So I don’t know if I should believe him. I tried looking for it online but couldn’t confirm.

I think yellowflash2 and hero hei on YouTube are much better at covering this topic. They’re the ones that found that people were photoshopping images of Vic.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That is why I said heard, I wanted to let people know that this isn’t certain from me because I don’t know if it’s true or not. It’s just a rumor. Just something I’m throwing out there.

I got it from this video. But I do find the guy sketchy though. So I don’t know if I should believe him. I tried looking for it online but couldn’t confirm.

I think yellowflash2 and hero hei on YouTube are much better at covering this topic. They’re the ones that found that people were photoshopping images of Vic.
That's fine, I'm not really that invested in it. Like I said, I prefer Japanese subs to English dubs. In all cases except perhaps Cowboy Bebop. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the end, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too ♫ :rofl2: