This is kind of off topic

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by camochase, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Are you in favor of modding?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 9, 2012

This is kind of off topic by camochase at 2:49 PM (340 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. camochase
    OP

Member camochase GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok im writing a paper for English about weather modding should be illegal. and i was wondering do you guys know who the top dogs of modding or homebrew in each system because im only familiar with ones on nintendo systems. Thanks feel free to post your opinions sorry if this is the wrong area.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    We shouldn't play god, it should rain, snow, do whatever as nature intends.

This is about weather modding, right?

Oh. Um, then no, modding shouldn't be illegal but it should violate warranties and be punishable if used to pirate material.

3. pwsincd

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    Are you for or against modding ? yes / no ? that confused me lol.. i woulda expected for / against lol... but im for it .

4. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    @OP, "Whether" was the correct term you were after. Anyway modding shouldn't be illegal as it leads to incredible things such as homebrew. Honestly, if people could pay a small fee to become a homebrew developer for consoles, that would be great as it would prolong the time before there are any piracy attempts (Meaning the companies wouldn't have anything to worry about).

5. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Had to make that poll a little easier to understand.

Better living through 'modding'. ;)

Castiel likes this.
  6. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    I'd say that that poll is going to end up pretty biased since your on a forum based around modding. Most of us support modding for some reason or another. Some for homebrew, some for emulation, some for piracy, and some because they can.

As for my opinion, Its my device I can do whatever the hell I want with it, I'm not sure what made the electronics industry think they were so special but they need to get over themselves. When I buy a screwdriver nobody tells me how i can and can't use it. As for piracy its inevitable, I believe it should be prevented not through pissing off legitimate users via difficult drm but through offering a superior experience. (When one pirates a dvd they put in the cd and watch the movie, if you buy it from the store you have to sit through mins of shit to get to the movie you Paid for, In this situation piracy offers the superior experience)

I understand not everyone can be valve/steam here but other publishers should be at least willing to attempt to work with us.

7. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Console modding has lead to security holes being found and fixed, great homebrew, and other awesome developments, but it's also lead to piracy, cheating in online games, etc.

I can't really say whether I think it should be legal or not, because like anything else in the world, it has pros and cons.

8. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    Yes i am in favor of modding because i don't want to part of the masses, brainwashed, locked down under the rule of the Commrade Steve Jobs (may he rest in peace).
    :)
    //flame_shield_up.