OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey to everybody,

Although I'm a new member, I've been keeping up with GBAtemp Wii Homebrew scene for a while now. I didn't seriously think of signing up ever, but then I found this group on Facebook. I decided I'd sign up now so that everybody who writes Homebrew programs knows about this guy.

Apparently he's installing the backup loader channel on people's Wiis and charging them money for it!!! He's also giving out wads and copies of game discs with his "service".
I'm assuming he's using Team Twiizers' Twilight Hack, Waninkoko's Wad Manager, and WiGator's Backup Launcher, but I have to assume, since he gives no credit to the authors of the software he uses.

It makes me mad, and that's why I joined GBAtemp and made this post.

Here's to hoping that all the right people will see this thread and let the coders know that there's a slimeball out there who's making money off their free Wii homebrew.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HE is having people pay for his services of installation.

PS I do it too.
Xbox mod chips, wii chips (done 2-3) a 360 set up or 2 and a ps1 chip (ps2 I just say buy a loader for 30$)

If you have that much against it go ahead and let facebook know and give him the boot because he is doing illegal things.

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know tons of people who do mods for money, I even did stuff like buy TTDS's from DX and sell them for thrice da price. Easy money.

Not to mention, don't PSP mod services not do the same? Those are all over the place. Over here, anyway.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
yep, theyve done this with ds too - chinese guys making carts with homebrew like dsorganize on them, etc and selling them for their profit.

i dont know if theres more you can do than just send a complaint to nintendo about the service, the homebrew developer's probably cant do anything about it as the material theyre developing is borderline illegal

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fateastray said:
I know tons of people who do mods for money, I even did stuff like buy TTDS's from DX and sell them for thrice da price. Easy money.

Not to mention, don't PSP mod services not do the same? Those are all over the place. Over here, anyway.
my clones can be purchased on DX for 7$ a pop why not pick me up lol.

Posts merged

QUOTE(jph @ Feb 22 2009, 04:49 AM) yep, theyve done this with ds too - chinese guys making carts with homebrew like dsorganize on them, etc and selling them for their profit.

i dont know if theres more you can do than just send a complaint to nintendo about the service, the homebrew developer's probably cant do anything about it as the material theyre developing is borderline illegal
HEY NOW thats messed up. go gentile dont try to get him thrown away.

Inferior_Design

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know what you guys are saying, but he's not giving credit to the authors, who originally intended for their programs to be free.

I don't really know how to go about stopping this guy.. Or if any of the coders even care if he does this. I just wanted to let them know somehow.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Dont blame this guy, he is providing a service people are happy to pay for at the end of the day. If these people are too lazy, or lacking in the ability and knowledge to do this type of thing themselves let them pay.

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The software self has some sort of disclaimer or a "By: Toni Danza" on it. And yeah, can't blame the guy, he struck a goldmine. It's gold, Jerry!

Inferior_Design

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
Dont blame this guy, he is providing a service people are happy to pay for at the end of the day. If these people are too lazy, or lacking in the ability and knowledge to do this type of thing themselves let them pay.

You've got a killer point there.

But if I wrote that code I'd be pissed.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tomqman said:
i softmod my mates wii's and they awalys force me to take some money for doing it even thoe i said i will do it for free
the force money thing only happens to me when my neighbors mother has me fix things.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
p1ngpong said:
Yeah, but still, crediting others for the work that you exploit would be nice, you know..
frown.gif

I don't actually like it, but there is nothing you or we can do about it!

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup cuz Oh hey man some guy named blah made it does a lot.

When the guy has problems he will google and find out, when he wants to update he will google and find out.

As long as these people leave themselves available they will be thanked.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd do it if I had the chance, believe me. Granted credit would be given where it's due, but money is money...

And completely off subject, but Bender being your Avatar makes this thread even more ironic/kinda awesome. Bender complaining about money making schemes, heh.
happy.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Toni Plutonij said:
p1ngpong said:
Yeah, but still, crediting others for the work that you exploit would be nice, you know..
frown.gif

I don't actually like it, but there is nothing you or we can do about it!

Well Im not saying I agree with it either, but whats he supposed to do lol? While collecting peoples money is he supposed to say "Oh I must give credit to the original team behind this release, who distributed it for free...." At the end of the day he is not the first person to make money on this sort of thing, and wont be the last. The people that pay just wouldnt care who originally put in the hard work for this sort of thing anyway. All they care about is "Can I play backups now? Yes? Great heres your money then!"

Sad but true.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i do this too, except i specify what software i am using and who the software is created by afterwards in a little guide i give the customers. He is smart enough to do this but he has guts to advertise he actually sells games.

Railgun

( ' _ ' )
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dont blame him for installing the backup channel.
blame him for giving away some pirated copy's of commercial games when hes installing the channel on your wii....

Inferior_Design

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thought of this just now........
I suppose that when you write a program and distribute it for free you do it expecting that somebody else is going to try and cash in on your work.

But if he ever does get caught, selling "backups" will be the only reason he gets arrested/fined. He'll most likely end up in a minimum security white-collar resort for a couple of years.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
I remember seeing someone selling imgburn or another free burning program for like 50.00 dollars because he said that thats what you had to use to burn wii games.
Imagine paying for imgburn, lol.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is royally MESSED UP. This is free software, licensed in this way for a reason.

What he's selling is the service, which sadly a lot of n00bs don't know the first clue about doing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte