Homebrew This doesn't sound like anything, but why is START and SELECT used to exit/update Luma

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know a long time ago in the 3ds hacking scene that start and select were prioritarly used to help stop people from breaking into the debug menu with an R4 Card when Luma wasn't a considered FW yet. Just CTRTools and that other firmware that's not spoken about a lot (NXTools or Snipper Tools, something like that.) It just seems so absoluteted now to ask but now that the 3ds has been hacked and registered. As well as the 2DS new 3ds and xl models. It just seems kind of strange that the very first entery point on a Nintendo 3ds to accsess a bootloader or module is just to hold start or select, no tools or anything just that...

I know other passed FW's like Cobrinek (made in France Belgium and Germany.) Shared some similar relevance where you would boot into a CIA or hold R/L to boot into some kind of maitence mode with a flashcart. But all of it still seems vague like one parts or many parts of a picture are being left out.

It would just be more effective to launch the homebrew launcher instead of a .cia file, so i'm wondering if it even matters that cia files would have a purpouse in the first place if R4 Cards or .cia intergrated files do exisit because of how all or many files can be encrypted or unencrypted from fedellity. Its beautiful its just vague.

It raised me the same speculation when people figured out how to take the SNES virtual console or HS App and make it run a custom game of some sort without any fedillity's at all, and just like the FBI and CIA/NASA installer or ticket installers like CIA Angel, its always left out or put off of the 3ds scene because one or more tools on the 3ds (Like CTRTransfer or .3dshacks) exists for exploits or open ended games like Submarine on the 3ds...

Its so completely vague that when you turn on a 3ds it shuts off with magnetic power, the same like a DS when its put into sleep mode temporarily and turns back on.

My main question is why launch the LUMA CFW when Emunand or Cobrinek CFW exist right now? ...

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Well, I got confused. but here is the answer to your main question:
Luma is active and Corbenik is not. There is no need for EmuNAND anymore because Luma makes you boot into a patched SysNAND.
Corbenik may be a good CFW and I wish it was updated, but it isn't. It uses A9LH which is outdated.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
upload_2019-3-30_5-56-9.png

what

This post confuses me

Also... I'm reasonably certain that chaoskagami (aka the person behind Corbenik) is from the US.

And well... Corbenik's amazing, but the most stable Corbenik experience can't be had without A9LH. I'm pretty sure the sighax builds had issues, and the project was stopped shortly after that.

But either way... what is this post even about... I can't understand this.

Last edited by gnmmarechal,
Reactions: chaoskagami

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just wondering why users are more attracted to .cia's or custom homebrew app's. When the 3ds does have a custom homebrew launcher and can be used to launch homebrew apps for cheats or plugins.

Luma on sysnand makes sense but why use luma when a flashcard is the more preferred method of hacking a console... And why hold start to boot into GodMode9 (besides nand backups which are historically powerful.) When FBI already exists.

I know CHSM and CHSM 2 (Good applications by the way.) Used the homebrew and the homemenu to hack the 3ds when the .cia was not made yet. (I could be mistaken.) Homebrew just seems vague especsially on Switch to really "hack" a console or give it new features. Besides custom themes. (Until the time comes of course.)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What would be the purpose of Homebrew (like fbi.) if CFW already fulfills that role?

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I'm just wondering why users are more attracted to .cia's or custom homebrew app's. When the 3ds does have a custom homebrew launcher and can be used to launch homebrew apps for cheats or plugins.

Luma on sysnand makes sense but why use luma when a flashcard is the more preferred method of hacking a console... And why hold start to boot into GodMode9 (besides nand backups which are historically powerful.) When FBI already exists.

I know CHSM and CHSM 2 (Good applications by the way.) Used the homebrew and the homemenu to hack the 3ds when the .cia was not made yet. (I could be mistaken.) Homebrew just seems vague especsially on Switch to really "hack" a console or give it new features. Besides custom themes. (Until the time comes of course.)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What would be the purpose of Homebrew (like fbi.) if CFW already fulfills that role?
So you are asking why use CIAs instead of 3dsx? well, 2 words:
Convenience, and of course, piracy.
EDIT:Also some 3dsx builds of homebrew have problems,
when the CIAs don't. Or the 3dsx builds are slower,
IIRC Snes9x For old 3DS would be slower as a 3dsx file and the CIA would be faster.

Last edited by Skirlez,

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah. besides endorsed piracy i'm wondering if the fedellic's of the 3ds could be improved... Which has been done but not to as much as a high extent besides giving the 3ds more utilities.

Everyone's just left that at a blank. And to say the least i'm wondering if the Nintendo 3ds its self could be improved entirely without any fun fanatics.

I will just wait until tomorrow. I think I already have it figured out. But there's one question that remains on my agenda. Why spend so much time weaving something if a thread unravels faster than what's being weaved. Any tip or scale or pursuit answer. Unuo.

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Well yeah. besides endorsed piracy i'm wondering if the fedellic's of the 3ds could be improved... Which has been done but not to as much as a high extent besides giving the 3ds more utilities.

Everyone's just left that at a blank. And to say the least i'm wondering if the Nintendo 3ds its self could be improved entirely without any fun fanatics.

I will just wait until tomorrow. I think I already have it figured out. But there's one question that remains on my agenda. Why spend so much time weaving something if a thread unravels faster than what's being weaved. Any tip or scale or pursuit answer. Unuo.
I don't understand.

And why hold start to boot into GodMode9 (besides nand backups which are historically powerful.) When FBI already exists.

Wait, did you ask what is the purpose of GodMode9? GodMode9 can do way more than NAND backups, and way way WAY more than FBI.

Luma on sysnand makes sense but why use luma when a flashcard is the more preferred method of hacking a console

I don't want to buy a flashcart. Who said its preferred? I prefer to not wait weeks/months, I prefer to just sit for an hour to hack my 3DS. Sure, you can play DS games with flashcarts, but there is TWilightMenu++ for that without flashcarts.

Reactions: KyoIsHacking

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, did you ask what is the purpose of GodMode9?
You used to be able to do the same with FBI and NASA right. There were just more fundementals I think. It would just be quicker not do all of that.

Besides, the wiiu and 3ds are completely able to run their custom code... Even if its not supported or left evident.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a few games that use start and select to start and select a game like street fighter. And ten there's homebrew. I'm wondering if a different key combo can be used. not sure if the latest luma allows that.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
If you are talking about the Rosalina key combo you can change it. Its in the miscellaneous menu option.

Istill don't get what you want. You are not giving any meaningful infos for what you want and why exactly you want it.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just seems kind of strange that the very first entery point on a Nintendo 3ds to accsess a bootloader or module is just to hold start or select, no tools or anything just that...
But it's not? That's just something Luma adds, not an exploit Ninty left in. Luma runs before the firmware, so it can detect what buttons you're holding before it runs a payload or the config menu. If it was in the stock firmware, we'd just chainload into SafeBoot9StrapInstaller instead of going through the whole Frog/Fredminer process.
where you would boot into a CIA
This has never been possible.
or hold R/L to boot into some kind of maitence mode with a flashcart.
NTRBoot is more than just holding L/R. If that was it, the 3DS would have been hacked in days.
It would just be more effective to launch the homebrew launcher instead of a .cia file
You can load all your homebrew from the hbl, but it's faster to just run a cia from the home menu. Besides, you have to install a CIA for actually getting into the homebrew launcher, so why not install CIAs for everything else?
so i'm wondering if it even matters that cia files would have a purpouse in the first place if R4 Cards
A DS flashcart lets you play DS games & homebrew. CIAs are used to install 3DS dumps or 3DS homebrew. They're not even close to the same thing.
or .cia intergrated files
I've never heard of a "cia integrated file".
because of how all or many files can be encrypted or unencrypted from fedellity.
I have no clue what this means. Do you mean launching a CIA without installing it? Because that's not how it works at all...
t raised me the same speculation when people figured out how to take the SNES virtual console
I mean, it's just an emulator, and you can put whatever rom you want in it...
or HS App
You need CFW to inject stuff into H&S as well as for running what you actually injected.
its always left out or put off of the 3ds scene because one or more tools on the 3ds (Like CTRTransfer or .3dshacks) exists for exploits or open ended games like Submarine on the 3ds...
H&S injection doesn't do something even close to CTRTransfers or 3ds.hacks.guide though??? H&S injection needs CFW and usually turns H&S into FBI, CTRTransferring replaces corrupted system files with clean ones, and https://3ds.hacks.guide is just a guide for hacking your console...
Its so completely vague that when you turn on a 3ds it shuts off with magnetic power, the same like a DS when its put into sleep mode temporarily and turns back on.
Again, no clue what this means. NTRBoot maybe? It's not very vague, just loading a sighaxed firm off of the SD card (usually boot9strap, but you can also flash GodMode9).
why launch the LUMA CFW
Luma is the current CFW and pretty much the only one actually getting updated. It also has the most features out of all the 3DS CFWs.
when Emunand
You need a CFW like Luma to actually load an emunand, so it's not an alternative. Nowadays, emunands just eat up a gigabyte of space on your SD card.
or Cobrinek CFW
Corbenik hasn't been updated in ages. There's literally no reason to use it anymore. In fact, if your hax is up to date, there's literally no way to even load the ancient versions of Corbenik, as it came out before Luma 7.0 and Boot9Strap, which means it has to use Arm9LoaderHax (which was abandoned in favor of Boot9Strap for plenty of different reasons).
CIAs are much faster to launch than going through the homebrew menu, and there's probably a reason why the CIA for BootNTR is always recommended over the 3dsx.
why use luma when a flashcard is the more preferred method of hacking a console
Luma is what you run after hacking the console, not a method to actually hack the console. You use the flashcard to hack the console, and once hacked the system will run Luma. You might as well ask why drive a car when you can go to a car dealership instead.
And why hold start to boot into GodMode9 (besides nand backups which are historically powerful.) When FBI already exists.
FBI and GodMode9 do completely different things. Sure, they're both file managers and can be used for similar tasks, but you can't do things like CTRTransferring or dumping the bootroms from FBI. FBI has benefits over GM9 too, mainly CIA installation.
You used to be able to do [GM9's functionality] with FBI and NASA right.
Nope. Instead, you had a billion different payloads all with different functionality, like Decrypt9, Braindump, Hourglass9, Emunand9, CTRBootManager9... GodMode9 was created so that you didn't need a billion payloads and instead only needed 1.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
>where you would boot into a CIA
This has never been possible.
I'm not even trying to figure out the context, but in the 9.2 days arm9 homebrews were indeed available as 3dsx (using Cakes exploit to replace the kernel on the fly), no reason they couldn't have been made into cias as far as I can remember - and most importantly, today you can again! :)

so why not install CIAs for everything else?
bruh 300 icon limit obstructs my ability to Fr33 G4m3z

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the 9.2 days arm9 homebrews were indeed available as 3dsx (using Cakes exploit to replace the kernel on the fly), no reason they couldn't have been made into cias as far as I can remember
Oh, I thought you meant like "when the 3DS turns on boot into pokemonomegaruby.cia" or something. I thought those were forwarders & not the actual payload though...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't run directly but it's certainly not a forwarder either :P
All a cia does is launch or run a fetched application of data like the Gamecube and the Wii. But its interesting because the data is actually meassureable and configurable. (Albeit a pain in the butt. For me atleast.) Kind of like the old days of the NES and the PlayStation 2 System.

It loads measured applications but also unmeasured even if its nothing. Unless your on the regular FW it detects a "out of date" application. (Used to be the case when 6.2 users used freeshop and then went on eshop. They figured out that the freeshop doesn't actually load any of the eshop it just launches the data.) I had a 6.2 old 3ds at the time and tried running luma. It just said it was out of date. Really weird stuff.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you mind explaining me why Boot9Strap is better than A9LH?
A9LH is older, can only run arm9 code (B9S can do both arm9 and arm11), and uses .bin payloads rather than the official .firm files used by Nintendo themselves (NATIVE_FIRM/FIRM0/FIRM1, AGB_FIRM, and TWL_FIRM). A9LH also corrupts the secret sector, so an improper uninstall on a new 3DS will lead to a brick only recoverable by NTRBoot. Also, iirc firms are also easier to work with than bins for devs.

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rather than the official .firm files used by Nintendo themselves (NATIVE_FIRM/FIRM0/FIRM1, AGB_FIRM, and TWL_FIRM).
Does that mean someone can make their own firm if they wanted to?
Or can someone completely change TWL_FIRM to allow SD Card access on ARM9?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean someone can make their own firm if they wanted to?
Yes, that's what all firm payloads are. Unless you meant completely reimplementing the stock OS, which there is literally no reason to do when stock ofw with a few patches (Luma) works fine. (oversimplified, but still)
Or can someone completely change TWL_FIRM to allow SD Card access on ARM9?
It already has SD access as long as you're running DSiWare. If you're running a DS cart, those aren't designed to look for the SD card anyways so there would be no benefit.

Reactions: KyoIsHacking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I didn't know they made an MSU cart for the Genesis.... I knew about the SNES one and the...