EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wife® and I are MOVING!

Not only are we moving, we will be in a HOUSE! A 5-bedroom house. With 3 friends. In an area that almost feels "far away" from a lot of things (i.e. traffic/busy life) BUT is only 3 minutes from a local mall/grocer/WalMart area.

The idea has been worked on for a few months now, but nothing was really put into motion, until Friday.

Skipping the story of how it all came together (maybe for another time, but probably will never be posted
tongue.gif
) we will be in a 2-story, 5-bed, 1.5 bath (with ANOTHER full bath being put in w/in the first 6 months w00t!), 1.5-acre (with new Riding Mower AND Push mower the owner just bought that he's leaving for us!), washer/dryer/DISHWASHER!!!!, etc etc...

this place will be effing killer.

Oh yea, and i'll have some home-fucking-internet again, FINALLY! w00t! I'll be back, full force, bitches!

But yea, there's a LOT more info that could be passed along, but pictures and info will be posted at another time
smile.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(yup, April 1st, we. are. in.)

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Wow, moving eh? but with 3 friends... is it really okay? I mean, sometimes you might need private times, heh.

By the way, what do you mean by 1.5 bath? Is it a bath with a shower/tub and toilet together?

P.S: I never noticed you made it to moderator! Maybe it's late but congrats man!

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CONGRATS!!!

BUT ... unfortunately this part was the BALL BREAKER FOR ME! ....

WildWon said:

Just make sure you get it all down in writing in triplicate if you have to!

I'm sure you will be very happy
smile.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:
Wow, moving eh? but with 3 friends... is it really okay? I mean, sometimes you might need private times, heh.

By the way, what do you mean by 1.5 bath? Is it a bath with a shower/tub and toilet together?

P.S: I never noticed you made it to moderator! Maybe it's late but congrats man!

First: Thanks
smile.gif
Yea, its been for about a month now, but works been NUTS busy, so i haven't been around so much.

Second: 1.5 bath is pretty much broken down like this. When you have a toilet and sink in a bathroom, its called a 1/2 bath. When you have a shower/tub/or both in a bathroom, thats referred to as a full bath. So, since we have a 1.5 bath, that gives us one full bathroom, and a bathroom w/out a shower. So its pretty much two toilets, one shower. But w/in the first 6 months, our soon-to-be landlord will be adding another full bathroom to the furnished basement. w00t!

dice said:
Better hope that the joke's not on you then come judgement day
biggrin.gif

Yea, i didn't even think about that til i re-read the post and seeing your comments lol. I'm not too worried about that one. But if it *is* a joke, there will be 5 REALLY pissed off late-20-somethingers coming for blood
tongue.gif

kobykaan said:
CONGRATS!!!

BUT ... unfortunately this part was the BALL BREAKER FOR ME! ....

QUOTE(WildWon @ Feb 2 2009, 01:46 PM)

Just make sure you get it all down in writing in triplicate if you have to!

I'm sure you will be very happy
smile.gif

Haha like i said just prior, this should work out well for the NON pranked end of April 1st
tongue.gif

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Very cool bud. Hope the move goes well. Just make sure you have everything spelled out in the rental agreement about maintenance and who is responsible.

Not sure what the laws are in PA, but in most states, if you're renting a single family home, then you are responsible for all the general upkeep (not repairs). The first time I rented a house, it kind-of sucked having to do all the mowing, raking, snow shoveling, etc, with none of the benefits of ownership. But on the positive side, I guess it taught me a lot about what it would take to own my first home.

Best part by far - buying your own grill, setting it up, and drinking some beers with friends while you cook those first steaks. Good times.

Good luck to you and the wife.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are doing pretty much all of our own stuff to this place. I mean, structurally and insulation wise, this place is stunning. Stg Bob (my buddy Bobby's dad, and the owner of this house... bobby's one of the people we're moving in with) got the house through Military Foreclosure. He pulled everything from the house and double insulated EVERYTHING. The only down side, there are very ugly rooms, and some damaged rooms (20 year old son has been living there scott-free with no real "adults" around, so lots of his friends "live" there, and there are lots of parties.)

Sgt Bob wants to sell it after we are out (could be years), but WE (all 5 of us) have some great renovation ideas, both inside and out. Sgt. Bob wants us to fix it all up. We come up with ideas, itemize them in lists (down to where every penny goes) and he'll give us blank checks to do... whatever (as long as its house related). Not only that, he's fixing up everything in the house (in home vacuuming system, broken clothes dryer, slightly broken stove, etc) before we get there, and walls will be patched and repainted and everything.

Also, NO SECURITY DEPOSIT!!! w00t! Now my tax return will go to bigger better things!

As for upkeep, we do it all ourselves. He just got the new riding and push mower this year, and they're staying at the house.

If anyone else wants to toss out things to look out for, please do. This whole thing is falling into place so fast that i'm LOOKING for the downsides, and so far, its only distance to work that is anything CLOSE to a "down-side," but thats 20 more minutes added to the drive, but we are going to save so much money (and my buddy at work is moving into this place too, so we're car-pooling daily then
tongue.gif
) that it doesnt matter.

We've been thinking of negatives, and can't see any (yet heh).

So please, find holes in the plan! (i know i haven't described everything, so find a hole, and i'll plug it. ... not like that. I meant it sexually.)

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
congrats
grog.gif

just hit me up if you need any help which involve using a big hammer. i will be right there in a sec

p.p.p.p.p.s
are you going to tier down that wallpaper... u knw...the one with toni's face on it
unsure.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats man!! Things are on the up for me too, just got my settlement cheque so we're off house hunting this week.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkRey said:
congrats
grog.gif

just hit me up if you need any help which involve using a big hammer. i will be right there in a sec

p.p.p.p.p.s
are you going to tier down that wallpaper... u knw...the one with toni's face on it
unsure.gif

Haha nice. As for the wallpaper, i've already pulled most of it down. A lot of it is rolled up and ready for storage, because i need to keep it, for sentimental value. But i did take a good sized square and have fit it inside my... erm... "Dream Sock." Ya know, that thing that collects... stuff... when the Mrs. is gone.

So Toni will still be around my house

_>

QUOTE(Hadrian Uranium @ Feb 2 2009, 12:41 PM) Congrats man!! Things are on the up for me too, just got my settlement cheque so we're off house hunting this week.

Nice! Yay for house hunting! (i mean, its not a blast, but the knowledge that you'll find somewhere better is always a HUGE ray of sunshine.)

Good luck with it, mang!

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually sounds pretty good. Couple more down sides, if you really want them:

1) The home improvement plan you have described is basically giving your landlord free renovation labor. He provides the materials, you fix the place up, and then he sells it for profit after the housing market has recovered a bit. I realize that you see some benefits from the renovation when it is complete, but you also have to deal with the inconvenience of the renovation while you are living there. So unless you are receiving a discount on rent based on the assumption that you are working on the house, then your landlord is the one actually making out on the deal.

2) Inevitably, when you move in with friends, the relationship changes. Little things that annoy you occasionally are amplified to the point of thoughts of homicide. Think about the situation you and wife would be in if you had a falling out with Bobby. You'd have put in all that work, and you'd be left twisting in the wind.

3) Is Bobby the 20 year old living there now? Or does Bobby have a younger brother? If it's the latter, is the 20 year old staying? If the current resident is to remain, there is no reason to believe that the partying will stop. It's difficult to set ground rules with the other tenants when one or more of them is related to the landlord.

I'm sure you've weighed the above factors and taken them into account in your decision. I just wanted to play devil's advocate a little, so you could plug my holes.
shy.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
Actually sounds pretty good. Couple more down sides, if you really want them:

1) The home improvement plan you have described is basically giving your landlord free renovation labor. He provides the materials, you fix the place up, and then he sells it for profit after the housing market has recovered a bit. I realize that you see some benefits from the renovation when it is complete, but you also have to deal with the inconvenience of the renovation while you are living there. So unless you are receiving a discount on rent based on the assumption that you are working on the house, then your landlord is the one actually making out on the deal.

2) Inevitably, when you move in with friends, the relationship changes. Little things that annoy you occasionally are amplified to the point of thoughts of homicide. Think about the situation you and wife would be in if you had a falling out with Bobby. You'd have put in all that work, and you'd be left twisting in the wind.

3) Is Bobby the 20 year old living there now? Or does Bobby have a younger brother? If it's the latter, is the 20 year old staying? If the current resident is to remain, there is no reason to believe that the partying will stop. It's difficult to set ground rules with the other tenants when one or more of them is related to the landlord.

I'm sure you've weighed the above factors and taken them into account in your decision. I just wanted to play devil's advocate a little, so you could plug my holes.
shy.gif

1: Yea, depending on what renovations we do, he'll be keeping an eye on what he's charging for things. Also, there is no security deposit needed for getting into this place, and he's not even looking to make any major money off of our word, per say. He was planning on selling the house, unless another option arose. And he's setting up a lease for government/paperwork reasons, as he wants a small business loan, so the changes we make (as WE want to make them) will be covered... really, we are all planning on being there for a while, so it'll benefit everyone.

2: Yup, we know how it works and we are also all very laid back people. The 3 that are moving in have been friends for YEARS (and have even lived with each other on-and-off at different times). Also, Wife® and I have lived with good friends in a townhouse before, and the ONLY reason(s) we parted ways was because we were getting married (which we left, got married and got our own place in very close time) and because they got a house (as a sort of inheritance) so they were set up as well. We'd still be at that townhouse right now had it not been for two major events.

Also, the 3 that we are moving in with, they come hang out and regularly stay over at different times, so we've gotten to know them quite well... i mean, one of em lives 2 blocks from us, i carpool with him to work and are probably at our place chillin 6 days a week.

3. Bobby is 25 or 26, its his younger bro thats the 20 year old party poser/goth that is currently there. He is OUT of there by the end of March (in fact, its him and Sgt. Bob that will be doing a bulk of the touch-ups needed... and the "sgt." part of Bobs nickname isn't just a joke... hes a literal Sergent in the US Army... so he doesn't take shit. Things will be done to his liking (for our sake) before we get in there. And 20-year-old will not be coming back unless he CALLS to visit heh. We are already talking about changing the locks and whatnot so no-one unexpectedly shows up.

Bam. Your three holes have been filled like a mmmf video found on kazaa.

smile.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ohmy.gif

WildWon is moving, and I wasn't invited
frown.gif

Well at least my picture will be back on the wall in no-time!
I've read trough all this, and it's sounds good Wildy, I hope there won't be any problems, and that you enjoy your house-life, I've lived in house for 19 years before I moved to a building, and it's incomparable...Kinda gives you more freedom, and feeling is so much nicer!

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omg. I just realized.

Just around the time when i move... its going to be my one-year anniversary here! w00t

I can't wait! There's going to be a mad chatroom celebration going on that night.

Fuck, i'm a geek.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...