Thirsty after eating chocolate

clauida

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually, I feel really thirsty after eating a considerable amount of chocolate? Is anyone experiencing such a situation or Is this a regular condition which occurs after eating too much chocolate

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is American chocolate I usually feel sick, not least of all because Americans seem to want to add one of the chemicals responsible for the sick taste to their chocolate (I don't get it at all).

That said two main things to watch for
1) Some kind of allergy induced thirst. Some poor bastards are allergic if not to chocolate but the mangled bits of insect that make up chocolate (from a random scare story they reckon the FDA puts the limit at 60 "insect pieces" per hundred grams -- 3.5 Oz if you measure in cretin) with throat dryness/scratchiness being a somewhat milder allergic reaction here.
2) Diabetes. If you gobble a bunch of chocolate it can well do fun things with blood sugar and thirst is an indicator of things there. That is worth getting tested for really and it is pretty simple to do. Does it happen when you eat sugary things otherwise?

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I agree with Fast above, American choco is SO low-quality and filled with sugar or artificial sweeteners and whatnot that it feels disgusting to bite into, let alone actually swallow it down and generally eat any of it! Chocolate makes you thirsty because the sugars it contains along with other substances thicken your blood and obstruct your mouth's pores, so your body needs water to speed up recovering from that and flushing it out, making you thirsty in the process. The effects of this can be offset by eating the chocolate cold so it's crunchy instead of goo-like or, just accept the fact that bitter-sweet choco is THE best since it doesn't turn into a molten-goo, and start having lightly-chilled bitter-sweet choco from now on:P

Reactions: orangy57

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chocolate has theobromine and caffeine both of which are diuretics

On top of that our bodies use water to break down sugars and other macros into simple molecules for energy - so the more you eat of anything the more thirsty you will be

Reactions: AlanJohn and ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Chocolate has theobromine and caffeine both of which are diuretics

On top of that our bodies use water to break down sugars and other macros into simple molecules for energy - so the more you eat of anything the more thirsty you will be
True, but not all chocos have caffeine, only the ones that use real cocoa, not the american shit chocos that use artificial choco (because that's actually a thing):shit:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If you're thirsty immediately after eating chocolate, it could be simply the sugar and/or cocoa, which are both hygroscopic, binding to all the moisture and leaving you with a dry mouth. Could it be that?

Reactions: AlanJohn and x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but not all chocos have caffeine, only the ones that use real cocoa, not the american shit chocos that use artificial choco (because that's actually a thing):shit:
That's not true actually.

The FDA has strict regulations on most food items and they have to conform to certain standards. Yes they are more lax than EU standards, but to say American chocolate has no chocolate in it is false.

"To be marketed as milk chocolate, a product must contain at least 10 percent chocolate liqueur, at least 3.39 percent milkfat, and at least 12 percent milk solids."

FDA website
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=163.130

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That's not true actually.

The FDA has strict regulations on most food items and they have to conform to certain standards. Yes they are more lax than EU standards, but to say American chocolate has no chocolate in it is false.

"To be marketed as milk chocolate, a product must contain at least 10 percent chocolate liqueur, at least 3.39 percent milkfat, and at least 12 percent milk solids."

FDA website
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=163.130
About that, it only applies to things actually marketed as milk chocolate, not things like cereal marketed as having a tiny bit of chocolate (like some cheapo knockoff stuff at places like Walmart), but I guess for choco bars you are right.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I get thirsty after eating pretty much anything. But chocolate makes me a bit more thirsty, I have to admit. Just because it's so rich and creamy, and coats my mouth with dark chocolatey goodness.

But it's not like if I eat salty snacks, then it's a completely different thirst caused by the salt and stuff I guess.

So about your thirst, try to describe it more to get a broader picture of it's natural or not :) and if you're worried, see a doctor ;)

Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But don't feel special about it, diabetes type 2 is not so uncommon if your healthy diet is based on eating too much chocolate.
No doubt there

1/3 Americans have diabetes or prediabetes

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I agree with Fast above, American choco is SO low-quality and filled with sugar or artificial sweeteners and whatnot that it feels disgusting to bite into, let alone actually swallow it down and generally eat any of it! Chocolate makes you thirsty because the sugars it contains along with other substances thicken your blood and obstruct your mouth's pores, so your body needs water to speed up recovering from that and flushing it out, making you thirsty in the process. The effects of this can be offset by eating the chocolate cold so it's crunchy instead of goo-like or, just accept the fact that bitter-sweet choco is THE best since it doesn't turn into a molten-goo, and start having lightly-chilled bitter-sweet choco from now on:P
But the molten goo is the best part of chocolate. I like putting a piece in my mouth and swirling it around until it's completely melted.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
But the molten goo is the best part of chocolate. I like putting a piece in my mouth and swirling it around until it's completely melted.
That's the most disgusting thing about chocolate, nothing feels worse than biting into a choco bar and it turning into mud in your mouth, choco drinks are fine, but not semi-molten choco like some bars end up as. The best part of choco is the crunchiness on a chilled bar of high quality bitter-sweet/bitter (possibly lemon/nut/mint filled) choco, nothing beats that!

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's the most disgusting thing about chocolate, nothing feels worse than biting into a choco bar and it turning into mud in your mouth, choco drinks are fine, but not semi-molten choco like some bars end up as. The best part of choco is the crunchiness on a chilled bar of high quality bitter-sweet/bitter (possibly lemon/nut/mint filled) choco, nothing beats that!
Hmmm...
Well, I really love dropping a couple of bars of dark chocolate into a hot cup of milk and drinking the tasty result, with some bits of chocolate not completely melted in the mix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs