Third time's a charm... or is it?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by QuantumFluxx, Oct 10, 2008.

Oct 10, 2008
  1. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Member QuantumFluxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So today I got all hyped up ready to play some Fallout 3. Turned on my 360, and was kicked in the groin by a completely random rrod. I had used my 360 the night before for all of 20 minutes to play a little silent hill, and when I turned it on today, boom.

This is the third RRoD thats happened to me, first was back near launch, then again a few months after getting my repaired system back. Since then it had all been working good, and I guess I was too content with my little system having just installed the 120gb hard drive.

So since I've obviously modded my 360, I can't very well send it back in for repair. I've been researching all the possible ways to fix the problem, and I'm leaning towards the x-clamp fix.

Any suggestions or thoughts on how I should proceed?

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    wow 3 of em? that's really bad luck. sorry to dumb u down, but are u sure ur 360 is gettin proper ventilation?

3. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Canada
    Yep its got proper ventilation, the first time I got RRoD'd it was on its lonesome while playing Halo 2 with my father. My second 3rrod was caused by a friend playing an online match of rainbow six vegas.

This time, the console wasnt even on, it just sat overnight and then stopped working.

4. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Canada
    Well I attempted to do the xclamp fix, did it all pretty well, but now my 360 gets 2 red lights all the time. I've tried loosening and tightening the heatsinks, I've tried re-applying a fresh layer of thermal paste. I just don't know whats going on. Getting frustrated here.

5. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Canada
    Alright I took off the heatsinks and cleaned off the arctic goo yet again. Then I applied more, was a little more liberal with it, slapped it all together and turned her on, no more 2 red lights. BUT back to 3 red lights. I've tried doing the usual trick of turning it on til it overheats for 2 min then turning off and it hasnt solved the issue. Then I tried doing the hair dryer method which worked earlier when my chips wouldnt even boot, but that failed, so gonna heat the other side of my board and try again. If that still fails I guess I do the towel trick?

6. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Canada
    And one last post for the finale. I took my blowdryer and I did a full sweep of the entire motherboard, all areas until it was nice and hot. I let it cool down and then she worked fine, snapped her back together and went online to boast my accomplishment to my friends that were online at the time.

After getting hit with a third RRoD, its nice to finally feel a sense of accomplishment. Now lets hope this never happens again.

7. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    This RROD thing always perplexes me. I got my 360 at launch, I've have played it hard and never had a single problem with it. But, your story seems to be fairly common. I'm starting to think it's enviormental. Too many people get multiple rrod-ed systems. There must be some un-named factor in all this.

8. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Canada
    There is. It's called the X-clamps. Their a terrible design flaw.

9. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    3 RROD's is not unusual. I know people who've had 5+...

10. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It is nice to hear you got it working finally.

Let's all hope you don't get it again :/

11. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I've repaired a lot of RROD's without even removing the X-clamps [​IMG]

The big design flaw is in the motherboard [​IMG]

12. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Canada
    Well my sister was playing Guitar Hero 3 for about an hour today, she turned it off then turned it back on again to remove the disc to put away, and rrod started blinking again.

Doing the towel trick right now, I'm hoping this will solve the problem for good I guess my hair dryer didnt get it hot enough or something I don't know.

Really getting annoyed.

How hard is it to spoof a lite-on drive? If I gotta buy a new 360 I want to use my current drive in there.

13. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Spoofing the drive is no harder than spoofing any of the others. It's extracting the info that can be harder.

You need a rs232 ->ttl convertor (can buy cheaply ready-made , or build) , then you have to solder 4 wires + bridge two points. There are some connectivity kit things coming out , which will eliminate the need for soldering 4 wires , but you'll still have to bridge the two points.

So spoofing no harder , getting the info out of the drive , easy if you can solder , if you can't , then pain in the ass.

14. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Canada
    As I've got no experience with such things I guess I'm SOL on getting another modded 360.

I wonder if I could find a used one from... 2007 or so, lite-on's weren't out then right?

15. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've always been so paranoid about the RROD. I use one of those intercooler things even though it's so damn loud I either use headphones or turn on subtitles in whatever I'm playing to figure out any dialog.

16. mr deez

United Kingdom
    I've heard that certain makes of those cooler things actually make you more likely to get RROD.

17. Prime

United Kingdom
    Yup that is true. layzieyez if I was you i'd take that cooler of ASAP.

Edited

18. mr deez

United Kingdom
    Not me fella, I'm well clear of those things - layzieyez take note...

19. Prime

United Kingdom
    Whoops my bad, I looked at the wrong name.

I'll Edit

20. QuantumFluxx
    OP

Canada
    Yeah I've no idea what the hell is wrong with my xbox. I don't even need to do the towel trick anymore, I just need to repeatedly boot it until it works. It never freezes or overheats while its on, I had it on for a good 5 hours playing a game and it was fine. Turn it off and back on, three red lights. I've just spent the past 5 minutes testing this out, I got it to boot 3 times.

What the hell?

Update:
    So ive taken it all apart again just to look around, and I noticed that only 3 of my ram chips have those squishy sticker things on the bottom of the motherboard, the fourth was bare. Do those things serve as a kind of heatsink as well as barrier for the motherboard to softly touch the bottom of the metal casing, or is it just there for the metal casing itself with no heat dissipation?

I'm currently going under the possibility that they are in fact for heat dissipation, so I've done the penny trick to that one module. Still RRoD tho so I've heated again and im gonna attempt a game test after it cools.

Dammit I don't want to have to buy a new unit and be without my entire collection of burned games!

Update 2:
    Well that didnt work, after it cooled off it turned on fine, turned it off, turned it on, still worked fine. Then I put in a game, started it and let it load the opening credits, about 30-45 seconds of gameplay, and then turned it off. Turned it back on, and was hit with the rrod again. So i've been googling and browsing about my error code 0020, and I've seen some people say to check for solders that have become crossed, or holes in the soldering that should be bumps instead, and I've found about 9-12 solder points where on the top of the board, their holes. They still bulge on the bottom of the board, but not the top. Maybe I should resolder them.