Gaming third person shooters on nds

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's a pretty broad criteria. I mean when Mario gets a flower... When Neku gets uses any 'Force Rounds' pin... Link's arrows... etc. They're all examples of games where you can shoot in the third-person perspective.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Insecticide is a pretty classic example of a first person shooter. You play as a flea in a post-apocalyptic world ruled by insects. The game has a film noir atmosphere and is split up into two genres- detective segments and platforming/3rd person shooting areas.

The problem is that the game was heavily hyped and turned out to be only about 2/5 good. The detective parts are really fun and engaging. They boast the best graphics and are really fun to figure out and solve. But the platforming/shooting aspects should have been far far improved. The platforming and shooting suffers from bad controls and camera, bland level design (sad since the detective bits are so nice looking), and really muddled graphics that are sometimes difficult to see even on DS Lites. This is a game like Sonic Unleashed. You love the parts the games excel at (detective work for this, and Sonic speed gameplay for SU) but you are bored and angry at the majority of the game (platforming shooting for Insecticide, werehog levels for SU).

You might want to try it out, but be warned that the game is only partially good. When Insecticide is good, it shines. The detective parts are pretty awesome and really fun. But the 3D platforming and shooting is dull and annoying. But it certainly meets your genre question.

Then there's another game called Unknown Soldier. It's a direct ripoff of Brother in Arms only released in Japan. I gave it a go, and although it had none of the framerate issues of BIA, it was bland and uninteresting unlike BIA which was fun. Shame, since one game is awesome, but difficult to control and keep at a steady rate, while the other is good looking and smooth, but really not fun.

You know what games would be cool on DS? MDK and MDK2. I still play those on my old PC sometimes. MDK even runs in Dosbox and would probably be easy to port to DS seeing as the environments are 3D, but characters are sprites (a setup the DS excels at).

MAD_BOY

Lazy bum
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Depravo said:
That's a pretty broad criteria. I mean when Mario gets a flower... When Neku gets uses any 'Force Rounds' pin... Link's arrows... etc. They're all examples of games where you can shoot in the third-person perspective.
One element of the game doesn't define the game's genre. Third-person shooter means a game played from the third-person perspective and with shooting going on...a lot.

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish that they would port DK64 to DS. That might not be possible with Rare and everything but idk. That game would be amazing with WiFi.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splinter Cell is more of a stealth game. And in fact, most of the shooting you end up doing, you switch to a first person sniper view. So I can't really call that a 3rd person shooter. Resident Evil is one though.

There's another technical 3rd person shooter I forgot about. Meet the Robinsons. Despite being a movie game, it has some of the most impressive 3D graphics seen on the DS. It's not that great of a game, but it's certainly attractive and clean looking. Anyways, you shoot in the game with a third person perspective.

mtr_1172802242.jpg

nicklessguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I played Meet The Robinsons, it's a fun game, not to mention that the graphic is just jaw dropping for the DS, it's comparable with Metroid, with perfect framerate.

Starts a bit boring but picks up as you fight bigger hordes of enemies and builds more gadgets and weapons.
The gameplay reminds me of Megaman Legends, as you can shoot infinitely with the main gun, charge your shot, and will lock-on and run around robots shooting them.

The bad point is that its short, only 4 worlds and bosses, but they are fun, and the last one is quite challenging.

Other possible issue is learning a good way to control.
Personally, i use d-pad + stylus, as you have access to all functions like camera and lock-on, and can still press the 3 circles to shoot your weapons like they were buttons (to roll, you touch the character).
If you use only d-pad and buttons, you will need to move camera up and down and lock-on enemies with finger, which is annoying and slower (can screw you in bosses).

disneysmeettherobinsons_02.jpg

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nicklessguy said:
I played Meet The Robinsons, it's a fun game, not to mention that the graphic is just jaw dropping for the DS, it's comparable with Metroid, with perfect framerate.
The framerate is actually twice as smooth as even Metroid Prime Hunters. Metroid played at 30 frames per second, whereas Meet the Robinsons played at 60 frames per second. It is indeed a gorgeous game and really shows that the DS can display awesome 3D far surpassing N64 when it tries. Since you said it gets better after the first parts, I'll try it again. I never made it past the killer ants part (first level after the pyramid).

In something unrelated to this topic but related to the Robinsons game, it should be noted that one more DS game shares the same engine- Tak Great Juju Challenge. If possible, that game is even MORE beautiful and impressive. Lush jungles, you can actually jump since it's a platformer, and again the perfect 60fps. It's not a shooter though, just a platformer. Just wanted to mention it though. I liked Tak better even though the driving minigame was nearly impossible. I wish this game engine was given to a really big developer to make a large budget 3D DS platformer. I could possibly see a Jak or Ratchet like game made using the engine!

Actually, I guess Rayman DS is a sort of technical 3rd person shooter. It's stretching the rule to breaking point, but Rayman shoots energy balls at enemies and you can strafe around to dodge their fire. It's a port of Rayman 2 on N64, but unfortunately has the same issues that Splinter Cell had on DS. Poor framerate, murky/poorly ported graphics, glitches, and terribly laggy controls. Apparently Ubisoft had serious issues adapting to the DS platform. More like they were just lazy though. The Tak and Meet the Robinsons games both kill this game in the graphics and control department.

nicklessguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
granville said:
one more DS game shares the same engine- Tak Great Juju Challenge. If possible, that game is even MORE beautiful and impressive.

Interesting! Gonna try it.
Hope it's a fun platformer.
Thanks for the tip.

As for 3rd person shooters, i think pretty much all were mentioned already...
Maybe that japanese fireman game could be included, since you shot around a lot, even if its all water streams, but you still shoot them
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol