Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so today I randomly decided that I might want to buy a chip for my Wii, because they really aren't all that cheap..and it seems like a good investment. I mean, the R4 is a great investment..so I'm thinking this is like a R4 for the Wii. Just hope that if I do it, I don't stop playing my Wii, with 'ROMitis' syndrome D:

But really, I have NO idea what it's all about. Like, I'd really like a couple questions answered, please.

1) Which is the best modchip for the Wii, and how much does it cost?

2) What are the chances of bricking my console with one, or is there any possible way that Nintendo can force an update and brick consoles automatically? Oh, and since I'm on the topic..HOW would you update the Wii with firmware upgrades, if you have a modchip. I'm pretty sure that if you had one, it'd brick automatically while updating it from Nintendo.

3) Is it difficult/confusing to install a modchip? Is it also confusing to download the games onto the CD..and stuff like that? I heard something about unscrambling a code..but I dunno what that is. Do you also need like a special CD/program for burning the game? Oh..and is it that simple really, just burn the game onto the CD and play? I mean, I heard of the SMG crisis with people getting their Wii's bricked..what was up with that? That really sucks..I don't want to brick my Wii..AT ALL. Maybe if I'm careful though..but how do hackers know if Nintendo had protection for the game before booting it and blowing their Wii.

4) Do the games have all the features as a real game, and does the modchip play almost all games?

5) If you have a modchip installed, and you have the REAL copy of the game..can you play it?

Uhm..that's about it. I might actually make the jump, but I'm scared I might screw up the install and brick the Wii or something. Yargh..I know it's a good investment, so I think I really want to do it. Do modchip installs go bad though/have problems? Oh, and if you do that to your Wii..your warranty is automatically VOID, right? :'[

Hm..I also read somewhere that having a modchip wears out your laser faster..true?

Ok, that's all for now. If I remember a question, I'll post it
happy.gif

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
1) If you got a D2B/D2A/DMS chipset get a Open Source Chip like YOASM or a WiiKey or a CycloWiz V2
If you got a D2C get a D2CKey, or Argon.

2) You can only brick your Wii with updates from other region than your own.

3) All the D2B/D2A/DMS chips are very easy to install becurse they only require 5-6 wires.
But the D2C chips are harder becurse they need 15-30Wires to be installed DIRECTLY on the D2C chip.

4) The burned game works as if was a real game. All Modchips play all the games from your own region and some from the others.

5) Yes.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) If you got a D2B/D2A/DMS chipset get a Open Source Chip like YOASM or a WiiKey or a CycloWiz V2
If you got a D2C get a D2CKey, or Argon.

2) You can only brick your Wii with updates from other region than your own.

3) All the D2B/D2A/DMS chips are very easy to install becurse they only require 5-6 wires.
But the D2C chips are harder becurse they need 15-30Wires to be installed DIRECTLY on the D2C chip.

4) The burned game works as if was a real game. All Modchips play all the games from your own region and some from the others.

5) Yes.

1) Remember, I'm a noob at this. So that post was like a whole different language to me. What's a "D2B/D2A/DMS chipset" or a D2C?

2) So if I have a modchip installed, and upgrade firmware from Nintendo through my Wii..I won't brick it?

3) Omgosh...I don't wanna install 15-30 wires o.O" Why would people pick the D2C then..if it's harder?

4) ..YAY!

5) ..DOUBLEYAY!

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
1) Its the chip that sees if the disk is valid or not. While the D2A/D2B/DMS chip is easy to hack the newer D2C is much more harder to hack. Check which one you maybe got here by typing in your Wii's serial here: http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php?serial=
Its pretty pricise.

2) Nope

3) Becurse the D2C chip cant be modded with the first modchips. Becurse the D2C is completly diffrent.

4) Yay xD

5) Tripple yay xD (Lol)

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) Its the chip that sees if the dick is valid or not. While the D2A/D2B/DMS chip is easy to hack the newer D2C is much more harder to hack. Check which one you maybe got here by typing in your Wii's serial here: http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php?serial=
Its pretty pricise.

2) Nope

3) Becurse the D2C chip cant be modded with the first modchips. Becurse the D2C is completly diffrent.

4) Yay xD

5) Tripple yay xD (Lol)

Whoa..watch the language
laugh.gif

1) Hmm...I'm checking right now, I'll reply in a sec.

2) Sweet! So I can play games, and still be up to date with Nintendo? All the latest channels, and everything? But what's the possibility of me getting my console bricked with a chip...or Nintendo forcing an update to brick all the Wii's with chips?

3) So wait...after the Wii was released, Nintendo started making newer chipset's called the D2C..in order to try and prevent hackers? But a new team called the D2CKey made a chip to work w/ it?

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Ups lol i was meant to write disk xD

2. Well before updateing to anything else than 3.1 be SURE to check what other modchip users is saying so you dont get into something..

3. That was the 3. try on preventing modding.
First the D2B came which was abit diffrent but bacame hacked pretty fast.
Second the D2B's with cut legs which requierd the owners of this chipset the dremmel the chipset to replace the 3 cut legs.
Now there are made a little device called wlip which is very handy for cut legged D2B's

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Looks like you are good to go
smile.gif

You got either a DMS or a D2B which is the ones which can be modded with 4-6 wires
wink.gif

And your drive pins are not cut. That means you dont have to dremmel the drive chip thats good!
Looks like a launch Wii.
But the best way is to open op the Wii and check it..
But i would say get either a: CycloWiz V2 or a WiiKey or a OpenSource chip like YOASM
wink.gif

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's still some question left unanswered in the OP, so if someone can please answer them..I'd appreciate it.

Ups lol i was meant to write disk xD

2. Well before updateing to anything else than 3.1 be SURE to check what other modchip users is saying so you dont get into something..

3. That was the 3. try on preventing modding.
First the D2B came which was abit diffrent but bacame hacked pretty fast.
Second the D2B's with cut legs which requierd the owners of this chipset the dremmel the chipset to replace the 3 cut legs.
Now there are made a little device called wlip which is very handy for cut legged D2B's

2) Ahah, ok then..that seems like the surest way. So if I do that, the risk of bricking at all is low?

3) Aha, I kinda get it. But what is cut legs?

Looks like you are good to go
smile.gif

You got either a DMS or a D2B which is the ones which can be modded with 4-6 wires
wink.gif

And your drive pins are not cut. That means you dont have to dremmel the drive chip thats good!
Looks like a launch Wii.
But the best way is to open op the Wii and check it..
But i would say get either a: CycloWiz V2 or a WiiKey or a OpenSource chip like YOASM
wink.gif

Sweet! What do you mean by the bolded, though?
Hmm..I bought this last Feb. 18, so it's almost 1 year old. I think I'll open it up then, lol. And this is the FIRST time I've been happy getting an old console, it'd be a nightmare with 15-30 wires o.O" Waiiittt..how do I install the wires anyway? And where do they go? Do I like tape them somewhere inside the Wii, connecting them to something?

I don't even know how modchips works..what do you connect it to, and how does that work? And I've been looking at the CycloWiz for the past like 10mins. It's $60, so not TOO expensive..and I've heard great things about it.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the modchips out there now arent IMO that good wait a year or so for better ones

...Why do you say so? o.O"
Wouldn't that be too late though, "Brawl"?

I also got some answers from the Sticky..I'm dumb.

"Can a wii firmware upgrade render the chips useless?

Edit: Possible. But not in the near future, since there is no core evidence that the Wii is able to detect the modchips. The modchips on the market so far are all "Drive Mods" which means they hack the dvd-rom drive instead of the Wii mobo itself. Hence, your not really 'hacking the wii'"

"How do i take apart my wii?

Read: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.a...7908&rl=1"

Hooray
biggrin.gif

Modding my Wii is sounding nicer by the minute.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't mod it by yourself
Let somebody experienced do it
I also thought it would be simple after watchin all these videos
Result: Had to throw away modchip and lost solder pads
Now i got my wii chipped by somebody that even gives one year free reparation support

Oh and choose Cyclowiz it's awesome
Also you can check your Drive Chip version with your serial but forgot how
Just something with these last numbers

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't mod it by yourself
Now i got my wii chipped by somebody that even gives one year free reparation support

Really? Is it that hard?
And who did you get it chipped by, if you don't mind?

And yea, I'm most likely going with the Cyclowiz. Sounds like the best for me..

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Don't mod it by yourself

Well im not a super experienced solder and i did it with shaky hands in 60 secconds.
The WiiKeys quicksolder method is super
wink.gif

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't mod it by yourself

Well im not a super experienced solder and i did it with shaky hands in 60 secconds.
The WiiKeys quicksolder method is super
wink.gif

Do you need to use wires for the Wiikey? Supposedly, modchipstore is telling me that the CycloWiz doesn't need any wires.

Oh, and I replied to you a couple posts back..so
happy.gif

BTW, thanks for all the help so far guys...

EDIT: Quick question...with the save of the "fake" game, can I use that same save for a "real" version of the same game?

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's best that you use wires so you can remove it if you want to switch the modchip. Well, that's what I think at least.. I have zero solder experience.

Anyways.. here's mine:

d2cto5.jpg

Doesn't look that good for me..
frown.gif

Edit; That meas I'm only allowed to use D2CKey or Argon so far right?

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Quick Solder method is a technique where you solderthe chip directly onto the board's sodler points instead of connecting them with wires.

Quick Solder Method:
http://www.chihkang.com/images/ins-cyclowiz-logo.jpg

Wire Method:
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5955/image82bs6.jpg

Personally I would stay away from the quick solder method. It will be near impossible for you to remove the mod chip if you ever want to. At least with the wire method, you can cut the wires or de-solder them with less hassle.

If you have no previous soldering experience then get someone who does. Other wise, read up on some basic techniques and practice on old computer boards.

IIRC there is a group that is actually making an adapter for the DB2 and DMS chips which clips right on to them. You only need to solder the the adapter to your modchip. I forget what it's called I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere.

EDIT: Works for all boards except D2C. I've never used it but it sounds promising for people with limited to no soldering experience.

http://www.wlip.es/indexEnglish.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol