Thinking of getting an R4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Apocrathia, Sep 26, 2007.

Sep 26, 2007

Thinking of getting an R4 by Apocrathia at 3:26 PM (1,198 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Apocrathia
    OP

Newcomer Apocrathia Newbie

United States
    so yeah ive been wanting one of these for the past few months or so now. i try to keep on top of whats going on, i know that they just released the new shell (gonna wait at least a month for the online retailers to cycle their stock over to the new springless one). my only concerns is (as one user mentioned) having so many games and not being able to just sit there and play one. i already have a mame machine in my living room that i also put complete rom sets from genesis,nes,snes,n64,gb,gbc,gba, and a ton of other crap on and i really know how they feel.
    my only real questions about the card is can you get gba games to work (im sure this has been asked a thousand times, please dont flame me) and do i just have to go get the ram card for the opera browser or can i use the ez3in1 or something.

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    don't get a R4DS get a cyclo DS instead, for your gba question search these forums and you will certainly find your answer.

3. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Use search.

4. Apocrathia
    OP

Newcomer Apocrathia Newbie

United States
    well, i would love to use search but apparently the admins here have the search function setup to where search terms must contain at least 4 letters. so searching for gba in the r4 forums does nothing, lol.
    i'll go ahead and assume its a no. and that ill just need to get a ez 3in1.
    and why get a cyclo instead of the r4???

5. aerowalk

Member aerowalk GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    get r4 and m3 lite (NOT m3 lite pro)
    you wont regret it

i use m3 lite for gba and some 'lite' / staple ds games (eg. tetris, picross, mario kart), and r4 for heavy games like those 64mb - 128 mb ones (eg. ff3) or games with arm7 problems (eg. worms)

6. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    Actually if you press the search button at the top right of this on any other page on this site you can use the google search which has no restrictions. So go search for "gba roms on r4" or "ez3n1" or "opera ram".

7. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Go for the R4. It's good and popular, although the new kernel is kinda late. I think, haven't checked for updates yet.

For the Slot 2, try an EZF IV or 3-in-1. The 3-in-1 is just an expansion though. It supports GBA, browser AND rumble (oo, bonus!!). Ergo, you should be able to use Opera Browser and programs of the like.

This is the set-up that I am using now, but I'm still setting up my EZF. My save files for the GBA can't be read... [​IMG]

8. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Why wait a month? Just email the retailer and ask if they have the new shells in.

9. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The R4 is the most popular. I would stick with that as your guaranteed the firmware updates. Bamboogaming have just got new stock in and its free postage. Their the cheapest, but delivery is slow.

10. son2fu

Newcomer son2fu Member

United States
    yes i agree, get an r4.