Thinking of getting a Wii, can it be hacked?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drobb, Nov 26, 2011.

Nov 26, 2011
  1. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    I'm considering getting a wii, one of the black ones and i was wanting to know if it can be hacked. I dont know what firmware it would have but i would just assume it has the newest. any help would be appreciated. im new to wii hacking, but ive done my ps3 and am fairly familiar with a pc so...yeah. thanks.

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yes, it can be hacked. It will have firmware 4.3, the latest. Newer Wii systems with newer disc drives cannot play backup discs. USB-loading will be your only option for Wii backups, which is actually the preferred method of playing backups these days. When you have your Wii, use ModMii to hack it. It couldn't be simpler.

3. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    thanks for the quick reply. had planned on using usb loading so thats not a problem. is it possible to attached an external drive and load games off it like i do with my ps3 or do i have to use a flash drive? also one last question, is the wii capable with a backup manager to do direct disk copying, similiar to what multiman does on a ps3? thanks again.

4. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yes, it is possible to use an external drive. I use a 2TB external, for instance.

Are you asking if it's possible to pop in a retail disc and rip the game directly to your USB external? If so, then yes. Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with multiman and the PS3's capabilities.

5. drobb
    OP

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    yes, thats what i meant. thanks for all the info lacius, you just sold me on getting a wii.

6. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If you are planning on buying a drive and haven't bought one yet. I would keep it 2tb or lower and make sure it uses 512 sectors and not 4096 sectors. This is because most Wii homebrew is not compatible with 4kb sector hard drives.