Thinking of getting a 360... and flashing it.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by War, Jul 20, 2008.

Jul 20, 2008
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hey guys! Well, long story short, I havent been in contact with my grandma in forever, and now that Im staying with her, she says that she wants to give me a gift (I had little to no contact with her, she hasnt given me a birthday present since I was 7...) as a "make up" birthday present. Anyway, Im really pleased with the way Xbox 360 is going, and the games are amazing... not to mention pretty much everyone I know has one, so it will help me keep in touch with my friends. So...

-I know that to be able to flash an Xbox 360 and play backup games on it, it must be a certain drive, right?
    -The new ones are lighteon (or something like that) and those cant be flashed?
    -How do I know if my 360 can be flashed? I heard that the box must have a number below 800 on it...?
    -How hard on a scale of 1 to 10 is it to flash a 360? Does it require any soldering?
    -How dangerous is it to flash a 360? Has anyone had any bad experiences after doing so?
    -Once flashed, is it as simple as burning a backup game and putting it in the 360?

Thank you for any help, guys! (Yes, I have looked around the forums, but I dont have much internet time...)

Oh, I forgot these 2:
    -How hard is it to find a flashable XBox 360?
    -Should I wait to buy the 60Gb model? Im thinking it probably wont be able to be flashed, so no?

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Yes
    Yes
    By when it was made, you might have to get one online, but anything more than 6 months old should be safe
    Depends on the model. Hitachi and Samsung 25s are easy.
    You need DL DVDs, and your burner must support booktype setting unless you don't plan on playing on Live

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hmm... is there a way to check if my burner can do that booktype thing? Also, anyone got any helpful links that show how to find flashable 360's or how to flash them? Thanks for fast reply btw.

4. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Pretty sure you don't have to set the booktype any more , since 5.3 the firmwares have been overriding it and will just report dvd-rom anyway

5. fischju

United States

6. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    older ones are likely to be more rrod vonerable. Just a reminder.

7. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Hmm...Im reading the guide, and so far, Ive noticed that I have to open up my PC as well as the 360... Im not sure Im comfortable with that...

8. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    BenQ drives, the newest drives before the Lite-on's, are the easiest to flash, and chances are you aren't going to get the older drives anyway. And if you get a new Hitachi one(I think mostly in Elites) you'll have to do some extra work such as soldering. Opening your PC is just opening up a case...moving apart pieces of plastic/metal

9. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Well, Im planning on buying the $300, since the 350 is probably unable to be flashed. Another thing I dont understand is that whole SATA card thing. Cant you just plug in the Xbox drive to the inside SATA plug of your computer?

10. fischju

United States
    MS28 drives need a VIA chipset. The Hitachi and MS25s can use just about any.

11. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Yeah, I understand that, I just dont know what the card is/what its for...

12. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    It's just a card that has the via chipset on and sata ports. It does nothing other than let you flash a ms28 or benq without doing the vcc trick (soldering).

13. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Okay, I am back and I have a new question...

How can I tell from the box if it will have a good drive or not? (Aiming for BenQ) I know it has something to do with a serial number 817 or below, but what exactly is this serial number and where exactly is it located? I want to know this because Im probably going to buy my 360 online, and I want to send an email to the store asking them to send me an Xbox with that certain serial...

Another question, can someone give me a link to a commmon store (something like Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc) that sells a SATA card that is compatible for the flashing? I would really appreciate it!

14. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Lot number , not serial. Lot numbers below 816 should be the old flashable benqs. The lot number is on a sticker on the outside of the box , http://www.360drives.com/howto ,2nd picture down shows where the lot number is.

Also benq has the same drive tray as the lite-on , so once you get it check in the emergency eject hole before opening the console.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD..._Comparison.htm

Shows it under the 3 drives , white/grey wires in that hole = benq , yellow wires = lite-on.