Thinking of buying this 16GB microSDHC

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by popopola, Jun 23, 2009.

Jun 23, 2009
  1. popopola
    OP

Member popopola GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hello guys,

I was thinking of purchasing a 16GB micro SDHC card for my cycloDS. I was hoping if you guys heard of this card and if it's good.

New Toshiba 16G microSDHC Card(Japan)

this is the description

Connector Pins: 9 pins
    Interface SD Memory Card: standard compatible
    Write Speed: 4 MBytes/s **
    Read Speed: 10 MBytes/s **
    Dimensions: 15 mm (L) x 11 mm (W) x 1.0 mm (H)
    Weight: approx 0.4 g
    Power: Consumption 60 - 80 mA (Typ)

Is this a good card to buy for $75?

Also, there is another card for sale

New Kingston 16G micro SDHC Class 2 (make in japan)

this one is for $68

now which one is better?

2. Fatboy12345236

Member Fatboy12345236 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi Bro

Firstly class 2 cards have very low read speeds so if you buy this card expect plenty of lag crashes and freezes also your paying $70 for this just to alert you

On dealextreme I found a 16GB card for $49 Its like their on sale 24/7!

3. blainy

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia

do you even knoiw what you are talking about? yes, it is tru that a class2 card is slower than a class 6, but in real world terms, this means nothing at all for the DS and flashcarts..only a few games have issues with slow cards, Castlevania:Portrait of ruin is one that does. myself, i use a 8gb class2 sandisk card, and i have NO issues with it at all as far as game freezes and stuff like that. i do get freezes occasionally, but that is due to teh beta firmware on my cyclo, or when i bump teh flashcart itself when teh ds is on..

4. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is true - a class 2 card will only have problems on the rarest of games. Even then, the problems shouldn't make the game unplayable.

Also, DO NOT buy your memory on Deal Extreme. I've bought SD cards from them several times, and each time it was a fake. Fake cards WILL cause slowdowns, and crashes, as their read speeds and quality can't compare to a "legit" card. I usually don't endorse paying more for something, but please buy your memory from a reputable online dealer, or retail store.

5. yeahitschris

Member yeahitschris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    'slowdown' do you mean like it takes a few secs to load? bcuz my 4GB that came with ACEKARD, takes like 2~3 secs to load up on the DSi. it has a white screen for like a few secs then loads up.

bought from realhotstuff btw. and my friend said dealextreme sent him a crappy M3, after 2 months it broke lol

6. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada

The "Class" refers to write speed, not read speed. Also, it's not the read speed that causes games to freeze or crash, it's the access (seek) time.

7. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Still, no reason to not pick up a Class 6 card if you can (perhaps it'll get used in a different device down the road that can make use of the faster rating?) I was going to direct you to NewEgg but I look at their shipping info and they only ship to US & Puerto Rico.

I do agree with omatic in that you shouldn't buy your SDHC card from Deal Extreme or any other flashcart e-tailer. Instead, find a reputable, proper electronics site to purchase from (or an actual store should you have one nearby with good prices.)

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    www.newegg.ca ships to canada
    I dont know how their prices are compared to other store around there though...

9. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    you should try amazon their prices are reasonable and they do have decent reputation. i don't remember classes but i remember they do sell pretty cheap for the real deal.

10. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm referring to slowdown during the game. For example, my friend had problems when she was playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - the game would briefly freeze during gameplay, and it was especially noticeable when there was stuttering in the music during the courtroom scenes. If it were just a few more seconds to load the game, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

11. nitesdreamer

Newcomer nitesdreamer Newbie

United States
    Class 2, 16G SDHC - 0 problems. Price? 55 Dollars.
    Class 6, 16G SDHC - 0 problems. Price? 75 Dollars.

Having owned someone who thought a class 2 would have problems versus a class 6, knowing that this particular person doesn't understand that a flashcart actually reads an SD card at a standard rate versus a faster rate given faster, possible processing speed? Priceless.

Both are SanDisk, best in class imho. 5 months, no problems.

12. Panic101

Member Panic101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Look I bought the Kingston 8GB Class4 MicroSDHC, works great. it came with 2 diff adapters and a good card reader. Oh, and yeah its 20 bucks free shipping and its JAPAN made Kingston.