Hacking Thinking of buying our first DS

toastert2003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry in advance for being a total n00b when it comes to DS... I've never owned a handheld game machine before, I usually stick to the home consoles like wii, xbox, the various playstations....

My wife wants a DS real bad... so I got looking into it, and I wanna buy something that will work with the likes of flash carts and stuff, so we can try games before we buy them... (like to do that since there's lots of shovelware on almost every system that you get burned on when you buy it and realize it sucks.

If someone could help me, that would be awesome, i dunno if there are certain DS's that are better than others, or if they all work equally with flash carts, or what-not.. if someone could just describe the perfect setup for something like that, I'd me much appreciative..

Thanks!

Holaitsme

10/10 would be loyal again
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1.All of the Ds's are compatible with flashcarts.
2.Just stay away from the r4 since it's sorta dead with updates and is getting sued by nintendo.

A good place I recommend for you to buy a flashcart is dealextreme.com
If you're on a budget go for the acekard 2 or dstt.

It's probably the easiest system to pirate on.

frantier123

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
toastert2003 said:
I'm sorry in advance for being a total n00b when it comes to DS... I've never owned a handheld game machine before, I usually stick to the home consoles like wii, xbox, the various playstations....

My wife wants a DS real bad... so I got looking into it, and I wanna buy something that will work with the likes of flash carts and stuff, so we can try games before we buy them... (like to do that since there's lots of shovelware on almost every system that you get burned on when you buy it and realize it sucks.

If someone could help me, that would be awesome, i dunno if there are certain DS's that are better than others, or if they all work equally with flash carts, or what-not.. if someone could just describe the perfect setup for something like that, I'd me much appreciative..

Thanks!

I think all DS are them same, is just the color difference and the packaging. The packaging sometimes comes in a so-called "limited-edition" form. I guess the only difference will be the local package and export will be the content in it. The Japanese and US package will not contain a charger as the charger comes separately. The Asia pack as everything in one big box.

toastert2003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick replies.... Like I said, I'm not interested in actually "pirating" games, long term, I supoose the couple hour testing period could be considered that, but I have no problem with buying the games that are worth being bought.

I appreciate the help from you guys, I just knew, that I have absolutely no knowledge in the field, and GBAtemp users are the only people to talk to when you want good info on gaming!

Thanks again!!!!

toastert2003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holaitsme said:
You will also need to buy a microSD.

You can use dealextreme too or newegg.com

now that, i do have.. it's a kingston 8gb, will that be ok? it's the small kind that fits in to the sd adapters and stuff...

I think it's what I seen in a flashcart pic on dealextreme.com

frantier123

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
toastert2003 said:
Holaitsme said:

now that, i do have.. it's a kingston 8gb, will that be ok? it's the small kind that fits in to the sd adapters and stuff...

I think it's what I seen in a flashcart pic on dealextreme.com

Depends on wad class u use. I bought a Kingston 2GB class 4 and work fine.

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
toastert2003 said:
Holaitsme said:

now that, i do have.. it's a kingston 8gb, will that be ok?
You need a MicroSDHC compatible card though.
Good MicroSDHC compatible cards are AceKard 2 and DSTT (if you are on a budget) or CycloDS Evolution (if you can spend a bit more cash
wink.gif
)

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
agentgamma said:
toastert2003 said:
Holaitsme said:

now that, i do have.. it's a kingston 8gb, will that be ok?
You need a MicroSDHC compatible card though.
Good MicroSDHC compatible cards are AceKard 2 and DSTT (if you are on a budget) or CycloDS Evolution (if you can spend a bit more cash
wink.gif
)
CycloDS is probably overkill considering they're just going to test out the games. I'd recommend the acekard 2, as it's very cheap and a good cart.

Also, just to be sure, this is the card you have right?
microsd_01.jpg

You said sd adapter, which is different from micro sds and won't work with slot 1 cards.

toastert2003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know this is for test purposes only, but i've found a cheap one new in box from Australia, for 100 bucks, it's the newest model of DS also, would that be something I could regionfree, would it make any difference, or would it only be able to run the ROMs and not the originals that (i do plan on buying)

can someone fill me in on the region issues with originals vs backups with this situation, i personally would be a US user ntsc.

Thanks yet again!

You folks are certainly helpful, and definately proving to be very knowledgeable.

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
he said "it's the small kind that fits in to the sd adapters" which would be micro sd.

Acekard2 or DSTT have the lowest price on dealextreme, i would good with acekard

toastert2003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just purchased a DS lite, Crimson/Red..

i went to dealexteme.com to purchase the flashcarts, but i cannot seem to locate by searching anything of the sort... can anyone suggest (even via pm) a keyword or a link? can't find it on dealextreme.

toastert2003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yarjibo said:
toastert2003 said:
So I just purchased a DS lite, Crimson/Red..

i went to dealexteme.com to purchase the flashcarts, but i cannot seem to locate by searching anything of the sort... can anyone suggest (even via pm) a keyword or a link? can't find it on dealextreme.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16142

with further suggestion I'll buy this sum-b*tch right now, but i would need a microsd card with it right ? i have several but they are all in use, i'd like to keep thing simple with "this card goes to this..." --- "this card go's to the wii" this other card here.. blah blah blah..

toastert2003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well my order needs to be over $50 in order to use my credit for the dealextreme.com

can someone help me i'm got the flashcart in my cart, i need about 40$ wortth of microsd cards that will work with it (as suggestions).

thanks, please be swift i'd like to get this x-mas present complete.

thanks yet again

please answer soon: will this work for me ?

Kingston 4GB TF TransFlash MicroSD SDHC Memory Card (Class 4)

^^ will that work for the DS lite i just bought??

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toastert2003 said:

There will be a few people who will say that you should go with a Class 6 card, but I believe this will be quite sufficient for your needs.

Regarding your order,
I'd help you if I could, but alas, I cannot.

Zarkz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
toastert2003 said:
well my order needs to be over $50 in order to use my credit for the dealextreme.com

can someone help me i'm got the flashcart in my cart, i need about 40$ wortth of microsd cards that will work with it (as suggestions).

thanks, please be swift i'd like to get this x-mas present complete.

thanks yet again

yes, just by 4 and u're set

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can use PayPal with dealextreme and thereby use your credit card for purchases less than $50. Also, the link provided before is to an Acekard 2 that doesn't have a microSDHC card reader with it. If you don't already have a microSDHC card reader, you can get the Acekard 2 bundled with a little reader for about 50 cents more here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16