Hardware Thinking of buying a WiiU, just wanted to check some things.

fojacko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so this is going to be a quick few questions:

1- Can the controller be used as a screen for Wii and WiiU games? I think i remember hearing that it could be used as a screen, but just wanted to check.

2- What are some recommended games?

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the very latest update allows you to use the GamePad as a screen for all Wii games. Some Wii U games allow it as well, but it depends on the game. I haven't found one yet that doesn't allow it. As for games to buy I recommend Wind Waker HD, Deus EX Human Revolution Directors cut if you've never played it on the PC, and Rayman Legends if you've never played it at all. New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U are good too, but not as good as the others, and Nintendo Land is amazingly fun if you can get at least one or two other people to play as well.

Reactions: T Link7

fojacko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, the very latest update allows you to use the GamePad as a screen for all Wii games. Some Wii U games allow it as well, but it depends on the game. I haven't found one yet that doesn't allow it. As for games to buy I recommend Wind Waker HD, Deus EX Human Revolution Directors cut if you've never played it on the PC, and Rayman Legends if you've never played it at all. New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U are good too, but not as good as the others, and Nintendo Land is amazingly fun if you can get at least one or two other people to play as well.

Thanks! i'm presuming you can use the gamepad as a controller aswell as a screen.

Also, the cheapest bundle comes with New super mario bros.u and luigi u. I've completed deus ex: hr already so i'll look at Wind waker and rayman.

ranchermatt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Lego City Undercover - great game with bad, infrequent load times. Best Lego game and I have played them all
  2. Wii U Party - great party game. best with 4 people. comes with wii motion plus remote. better than Nintendo land IMO.
  3. Wind Waker - didnt like Gamecube version, love WiiU version
  4. any multiplatform game - run just as well as Xbox 360 (tested many myself). Many games use gamepad as map which I find helpful. Also can play most on gamepad screen.
  5. Nintendo promotions - Wii Fit U (free for a month if you have a balance board), Wii Sports Club (free for 24 hours)
Hope this helps. I really like what Nintendo does so I am biased. Spent an hour yesterday trying to log onto XBox 360 because of all their security so I am not a huge fan of Microsoft right now.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, for Wii games and Wii Virtual Console games, you can use the GamePad's screen, but you still need the controller

As far as recommended games go, if WiiU is you're only choice:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate,
Lego City Undercover,
New Super Mario Bros. U (also Luigi U),
Zombi U,
Rayman Legends (which is the definitive version),
if you don't care for multiplayer Batman Arkham Origins,
Wonderful 101,
Ducktales,
Nintendo Land,
Wind Waker,
Pikmin 3,
Resident Evil Revelations,
Scribblenauts,
Sonic Lost World (it's a hit/miss so make up your own opinion),
Super Mario 3D World (IGN had a leaked review that's since been pulled),
Splinter Cell
Assassin's Creed 3 and 4

and there's a bunch of great eShop games as well.

There's also a great lineup of upcoming games as well.

fojacko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, for Wii games and Wii Virtual Console games, you can use the GamePad's screen, but you still need the controller

As far as recommended games go, if WiiU is you're only choice:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate,
Lego City Undercover,
New Super Mario Bros. U (also Luigi U),
Zombi U,
Rayman Legends (which is the definitive version),
if you don't care for multiplayer Batman Arkham Origins,
Wonderful 101,
Ducktales,
Nintendo Land,
Wind Waker,
Pikmin 3,
Resident Evil Revelations,
Scribblenauts,
Sonic Lost World (it's a hit/miss so make up your own opinion),
Super Mario 3D World (IGN had a leaked review that's since been pulled),
Splinter Cell
Assassin's Creed 3 and 4

and there's a bunch of great eShop games as well.

There's also a great lineup of upcoming games as well.

Thanks guys!

I think i'll get Lego City, Monster Hunter and Mario 3d world (the bundle i'm getting comes with Mario bros and Luigi bros) and Scribblenauts (i have it on pc, but it really doesn't feel like it's suited to being on the pc) to begin with, then i'll buy Resident evil, Rayman and AC4 at a later date.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys!

I think i'll get Lego City, Monster Hunter and Mario 3d world (the bundle i'm getting comes with Mario bros and Luigi bros) and Scribblenauts (i have it on pc, but it really doesn't feel like it's suited to being on the pc) to begin with, then i'll buy Resident evil, Rayman and AC4 at a later date.

I really recommend picking up Rayman Legends before you get Monster Hunter to be honest. Get it right away, it's that good. It's hard to put it down.

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a secondhand black wiiu for $100, I have some questions as well:
Can disc games be put on the hard drive? Or must you purchased and downloaded through the eshop to play from the hard drive?
I'd rather not have to deal with discs, but also don't want to lose the items I've bought if something crashes (or Nintendo decides I don't "own" them anymore)..
Also: do regular Wiimotes work with WiiU? We already have four of those.. Or do I need to purchase new Wiimotes with motion plus..?
If our regular Wiimotes work with the WiiU, will they still work with the regular Wii?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a secondhand black wiiu for $100, I have some questions as well:
Can disc games be put on the hard drive? Or must you purchased and downloaded through the eshop to play from the hard drive?
I'd rather not have to deal with discs, but also don't want to lose the items I've bought if something crashes (or Nintendo decides I don't "own" them anymore)..
Also: do regular Wiimotes work with WiiU? We already have four of those.. Or do I need to purchase new Wiimotes with motion plus..?
If our regular Wiimotes work with the WiiU, will they still work with the regular Wii?

-Disc games cannot be installed. You must download from eShop in order to do that. (same with Sony and Microsoft's consoles so don't get angry).
-I do believe regular Wiimotes work with the WiiU, it just depends on the type of game if it requires Motion plus. Check the back of the game if it requires Wii Remote Plus.
-If you're regular Wiimotes work with the WiiU, they work with the Wii. You just might have to pair them again is all.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
If you have them installed to an external USB drive I'd think you could make a disk image of them on the computer as a backup just in case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning