Gaming thinking of buying a ps3 ...

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well recently saw in a mail from Amazon that you can get a Ps3 already for ~210€ which is less than the Vita oO
so I was thinking of getting me one BUT

I really hate shooter and sport games so there is not much for me ... and i already have a 360 which allowes me to play many of my beloved RPG's that are released for ps3 also.
So I would mainly "pirate" games instead of buying them (think for me not even 5% of the ps3 games would be interesting to me) so yeah is it worth it ?
and how about hacking the ps3 is it "easy"? its already to much to get trough all the wii and 360 stuff and now starting with ps3 might be a little bit to much for my brain XD

and i already read somewhere that you need maximum firmware 3.55 ... so whats the newest ? are the odds high to get a higher firmware ? (already wrote to reBuy about firmware no answer yet)

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i say yeah its worth it there are some ps3 exclusive rpgs that are amazing and some of the 360 rpgs for the ps3 actually has added crap(like an optional boss) and uncharted is one of the best action games not released for 360(kinda like a modern tomb raider game). there are more just cant think ATM

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think you will find only PS3 with firmware higher than 3.55
frown.gif

Unless you live in a place where console are not sold a lot and maybe they have old stock.
Maye also check "console+Game pack" known to be 3.40 (PSmove demo disc) or 3.55, usually they are not re-ordered so you should get an old console.
unfortunately, you don't have any way to know the firmware before checking it on TV.

PS3 is somewhat easy to hack, but you need a little reading on what you can do or not.
You can't go online or use PSN.
You can play all games up to 3.55 in original disc form.
If you play a game which require a firmware 3.56,you have to dump it and play it from HDD only to prevent updating.
Some games which require 3.60 can be played with some patches, but not a lot.

Before buying one for few games, check this list to see if the one you want are playable.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd suggest waiting till Gamescon is over. Apparently, there is a strong rumor that a worldwide pricedrop may be announced there. Why buy one now when you could save money by waiting 2-3 weeks?

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thanks for the good answers

I thaught psn would still work with cfw on ps3 ...

I can either buy a 80gb ps3 for 200 or get me a 320gb with cfw already installed for 300 ... (second one might be better choice to be on the save side + bigger hdd)

that game list has most of the games work even if some needs to be intern some need extern no problem

and dunno about the price drop but its already cheaper than the vita oO

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youkai said:
thanks for the good answers

I thaught psn would still work with cfw on ps3 ...

I can either buy a 80gb ps3 for 200 or get me a 320gb with cfw already installed for 300 ... (second one might be better choice to be on the save side + bigger hdd)

that game list has most of the games work even if some needs to be intern some need extern no problem

and dunno about the price drop but its already cheaper than the vita oO

Hmmm? Does the 80GB PS3 come with CFW as well (or at least 3.55OFW?) For an extra $100 you could pick up a much larger internal HDD. Just saying.

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no the 80gb one has no cfw and i don't know the firmware yet (wrote a mail to the seller no answer yet) and there is "only" 1 controler the other has 2

P.S. how about backward compatibility ? there are several PS2 games i would like to play (NEVER had a playstation at all !)
thats another reason why i would like a playstation finaly ... there were several good playstation games and most of them did work on emulator or psp ^^ but ps2 ... the emulator is still not that good.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
PS1 (original) are working on all PS3 model.
PS2 (original) are working only on Backward Compatible FAT PS3 (model CECHA et CECHB), these one have more than 2 USB ports.
PS2 (backup) were only working as a beta test version in old version of PS3 backup Managers, but it's not working good so it was removed.
PS2 slim are not backward compatible with PS2 games.

Though, if you install the "Cobra custom firmware 3.55" and use the Cobra dongle to boot your PS3, you can launch PS2 games in emulation mode on non backward compatible PS3. It's slower but it loads ISO and retail games.

Short story : Don't hope to play retail/backuped PS2 games if you don't have an old compatible FAT PS3.
You should buy a PS2 (modchiped+DVD or non modchiped+HDD) for PS2 games (there are a lot of good games, it's worth it).

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Youkai said:
Well recently saw in a mail from Amazon that you can get a Ps3 already for ~210€ which is less than the Vita oO
so I was thinking of getting me one BUT

I really hate shooter and sport games so there is not much for me ... and i already have a 360 which allowes me to play many of my beloved RPG's that are released for ps3 also.
So I would mainly "pirate" games instead of buying them (think for me not even 5% of the ps3 games would be interesting to me) so yeah is it worth it ?
and how about hacking the ps3 is it "easy"? its already to much to get trough all the wii and 360 stuff and now starting with ps3 might be a little bit to much for my brain XD

and i already read somewhere that you need maximum firmware 3.55 ... so whats the newest ? are the odds high to get a higher firmware ? (already wrote to reBuy about firmware no answer yet)

seems to me that your post already speaks ur decision to not buy one. From this post I see that you have almost no interest in ps3 content so why wast your money. Though modding is great, ask yourself if it is really worth it for you... I have a ps3 myself and refuse to mod it since I have a relatively small library of games and I don't buy new games often enough to want to pirate...In the end weight the pros and cons and if 210 euros or whatever it is is worth it for you, then go for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.