Thinking of buying a PS2 again

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Herr_Noobien, Mar 6, 2011.

Mar 6, 2011
  1. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Newcomer Herr_Noobien Member

Australia
    I was cleaning out my room the other day and found a bunch of my old PS2 gams. I started feeling a bit nostalgic and now I'm thinking of buying a PS2 since I sold my old one a while ago (and new ones are quite cheap at the moment). However, many of the games I want to play are backups. The unit I plan on buying is most likely a 9000 series model and I have no idea how to mod it. Most of the guides I found are quite out of date as well. So my question is: What would be the best way to mod a 9000 series PS2? The most important thing for me is that game compatability should be as close to 100% as possible and online really doesn't matter. I'm only going to be playing PS2 games since I still have my modded PS1 [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Well if I am correct a ps2 9000 series cant be modded using freeMcboot but you can use a modchip to make it play backups

3. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Australia
    Sounds good. Which modchip out there has the best game compatibility?

4. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    You probably will do better with 7500/7700/7900 series than 9000 series. With 9000 series, you'll either need Swap Magic (which is hard to find), or modchip. Keep in mind modchip will void your warranty. Most PS2 modchip are cheap, but no longer supported. Unless you want to play PS1 game on PS2 (which you won't), Free Mcboot is better than Modchip.

5. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Australia
    I don't mind paying for a modchip and getting it installed. My only worry is that compatibility will be quite poor. Plus the only PS2s I can find locally are new ones from the shops. What do you mean by no longer supported?

6. trumpet-205

United States
    I mean that teams that made modchips no longer exist. Meaning it'll be difficult to ask for help. I never use modchip so I can't comment on its compatibility. From what I heard, compatibility is on par to Free Mcboot/ESR.

If you don't mind used PS2 Slim, ask for it locally. If it needs a AC adapter, it is a non-9000 series. Avoid 3000/7000 series.

7. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    I have a no-FMCB 90001 and Swaps, and I must say, DO NOT MAKE MY MISTAKE. get a FMCBable PS2 in slim 9000x ONLY if you confirm it's Datecode is 8B or earlier, 7000x or phat. Swap Magic isn't hard to find new, but it costs $30 and DAMN IS IT ANNOYING. If your disc mod comes the tiniest bit lose, you have to try the boot ALL OVER AGAIN. Plus, you can't run DVD9s and some DVD5s because the idiots that make it decided to make 3.6 20 MBs smaller than the biggest possible PS2 DVD5 game, and games like sonic heroes and mortal kombat won't run. 3.8 is DVD9-compatible and has cheats, but it breaks many DVD5 games so it's not worth it.

The only good things I can say about SM are that it does run the majority of PS2 games, including rare ones, runs homebrew off of usb, can, through a method using teh program ulaunchelf, run all PS1 backups besides those naturally incompatible with the PS2 like tomba and a select few that don't work with swapping like vib-ribbon, and is LEGAL UNDER THE DMCA.

That last one is the most important plus for any console mod, but FMCB does all of those as well with Ule, ESR and OPL, and you don't have to replace FMCB because it gets scratched up too.

8. trumpet-205

United States
    I own a 79001 with Free Mcboot, so far I'm happy with it.

Following PS2 are worth to get,

5000x (This is a fat PS2)
    7500x
    7700x
    7900x
    9000x with date code 8B or before (not sure if Australia has it)

Do not get 3000x or 7000x. 3000x and 7000x have laser problem.

9. Lightake

Member Lightake GBAtemp Regular

China
    All ps2 consoles which are on sale in China are modded 9000 series with 100% compatibility , I just got one 3 months ago . However , I am not sure which modchip it uses cause I am a layman to ps2 .