GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well what the title says... the question i had were

1) on what firmware does the new 3DS come? can i run gateway on it or do i need a sky3DS?
2) if i use a sky3DS am i fucked when it comes to region lock? can i play eshop titles?
3) which card should i buy if i want to play MH4 online?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well what the title says... the question i had were

1) on what firmware does the new 3DS come? can i run gateway on it or do i need a sky3DS?
2) if i use a sky3DS am i fucked when it comes to region lock? can i play eshop titles?
3) which card should i buy if i want to play MH4 online?
1)anywhere from 8.1-9.4 depending on region/model, safest bet seems to be the MH4 limited edition all seem to be 9.2
2)there is regionfree for old 3DS's, but on the new 3ds it will be your region only, and no, there is no way to play eshop roms on sky3ds (except buying from eshop ofc)
3)gateway or sky3ds, but gateway hasnt released their n3ds support yet, and sky3ds you will probably want to try get a private header for online usage(but if you get a MH4 bundle it probably comes with the game pre-installed and safe for online usage)

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the dedicated thread for what Serial # comes with what firmware.
Yes its region locked.
Both play games fine, you need to get to read up on what you need to play online. There are threads here and guides in the Tutorial section.

maxpower49

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few similar questions..I'll put them in this thread instead of starting a new one. Just got a New 3DSXL... never had a DS before, so I'm new to the scene. I see tons of guides and tutorials, but theres so much info that has changed over time, its kind of tough to sort through. I've done some modding (xbox, 360, wii) in the past, so I'm not completely dumb. Anyways, if someone could help me out here, I would appreciate it.

1) Everyone talking about a gateway update... they are just waiting on a software update, correct? So I could go ahead and buy the flashcart sets? Just want to make sure the New 3DS won't require different carts or something.

2) Do I need to do something before I turn on the 3DS to prevent it from updating firmware or something?

3) I see the gateway countdown thing.... but I cant find anything that tells me what we're counting down to. Have they said?

4) Are there any limitations to gateway (once its updated)? I see Sky has some kind of issue with private headers when playing online.

Thanks!

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1)anywhere from 8.1-9.4 depending on region/model, safest bet seems to be the MH4 limited edition all seem to be 9.2
2)there is regionfree for old 3DS's, but on the new 3ds it will be your region only, and no, there is no way to play eshop roms on sky3ds (except buying from eshop ofc)
3)gateway or sky3ds, but gateway hasnt released their n3ds support yet, and sky3ds you will probably want to try get a private header for online usage(but if you get a MH4 bundle it probably comes with the game pre-installed and safe for online usage)

oh, so gateway doesn't work on the new 3ds at all? i guess then it's better to wait for new 3ds support since i'd really like to have full support especialy no region lock

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
oh, so gateway doesn't work on the new 3ds at all? i guess then it's better to wait for new 3ds support since i'd really like to have full support especialy no region lock
nope, no n3ds support atm, just the promise of the "soon" from like 3 months ago.....they might actually release soon now that the full EU/US launch has happened......maybe :glare:

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway has always delivered in the past. If you don't mind playing the waiting game, maybe buy a retail cart to hold you over, I would say thats your best bet. In the end you will have more functionality.

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh yeah, i had another question i forgot to make... can my old DS charger used as a 3DS charger? if not how what's the price of a 3DS charger since the new 3ds doesn't come with one?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
oh yeah, i had another question i forgot to make... can my old DS charger used as a 3DS charger? if not how what's the price of a 3DS charger since the new 3ds doesn't come with one?
if its a 3DS/DSi charger, yeah it will work on the new3DS, if not you could either buy an official one for around £10, or a unofficial one for like £4....i would suggest you just get an official one, the cheap ones tend to be pretty crap

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: