Thinking of buying a Gateway flashcart for cheat codes use

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RosaliinaDaHacker64, Jun 6, 2017.

1. RosaliinaDaHacker64
    OP

RosaliinaDaHacker64 3DS font intermediate/expert

Oct 7, 2015
    Ireland
    F:\gm9\out
    Hey. I might get one so I can use GateShark cheats. http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=501

My New Nintendo 3DS XL is on Luma3DS v8.0, Boot9Strap v1.2. I mainly don't use this flashcart for CFW.

I have questions:
    Since it only works on 9.2 OFW for booting its CFW as emuNAND up to 11.2,
    Can I simply boot Luma3DS CFW normally and insert a flashcart into my device, then load the ROM off its microSD? I don't wanna boot GW (sysNAND) mode while on 11.3+ since it will kill my B9S FIRM as it did to A9LH before.
    Otherwise, is it safe to boot GW emuNAND (and without accidentally booting with sysNAND)? I have a NAND backup which was 11.2.

I know BootNTR exists, but I want it because there are tons of cheats out there (Fort42 website) and it allows to manually add cheats in .txt, while NTR doesn't and can't.

Last edited by RosaliinaDaHacker64, Jun 6, 2017
  2. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    I mean you can, but after gateway's brick code toasting legit gateway carts and bluecrashing 3ds' permanently (which even happened to one of the mods here) I've been iffy about their product and rather opt for using an emunand with cia files instead of gateway emunand, but it's really just a matter of preference.

I've even toasted my emunand a few times myself playing with stuff and being what it was, I always could fallback to sysnand and reflash emunand to my sd card.

I just like being able to recover regardless of what I do, gateway just makes me nervous.

Last edited by Mark McDonut, Jun 6, 2017
  3. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Second part is true. First part is not. It's just the description that is out of date and was written in 2015 when there was nothing better than menuhax.

No. You need to load GW's CFW.

Good idea, and yes. Gateway works perfectly on emuNAND.

You can follow this tutorial to get GW's CFW working on b9s
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/

4. RosaliinaDaHacker64
    OP

Oct 7, 2015
    Ireland
    Damn, that's the worst thing that could brick, I assume it happens when fakes or clone is used. Good thing NtrBootHax/magnet can unbrick it...when it's released.

Thanks! I'm absolutely buying it.

5. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    you know it's not 2014/2015 anymore, now instead of brick they show
    http://www.gateway-3ds.com/scam/

And I still use Gateway today, funny they are still revelant even when the latest real update was almost 2 years ago. (their A9LH thing don't count as an update with real change)

6. stl25

stl25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 3, 2008
    United States
    Here, there and everywhere
    If they update their emunand and add support for sighax/bootstrap9 it is still a viable option. The real question with Gateway is how long does one have to wait for that support to come. It will come, just not in a time frame that most people are happy with. I like my Gateway but feel dissapointed that they started speaking of emunand 11.3/11.4 support in mid February and the wait continues.

7. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    Why wait when you can do this?
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-get-11-4-emunand-working-on-gateway-with-online-access.472624/
    Don't worry about that, this only happened with 1 very old beta version of gw launcher a long time ago, if you're using original gateway card then you won't get any problems or bricks.
    And yes, its absolutely worth it for awesome cheats engine and .3ds support.

RosaliinaDaHacker64 likes this.
  8. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Did I really just witness someone buying a Gateway cart in mid 20fucking17??

9. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    To be fair, it does have exactly one notable use, which is what the OP is after. Whether that is worth $70 or however the fuck much it costs and the hassle of using an 11.2 EmuNAND forever is an exercise left to the reader.

10. RosaliinaDaHacker64
    OP

Oct 7, 2015
    Ireland
    Good, I won't be worrying about it.

Gateway can be sometimes shite to other people as it's totally obsolete now lol, needing it for testing and giving a shot on it.

stl25 likes this.