Thinking of buying a DSTT....

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by SavageWaffle, Mar 19, 2008.

Mar 19, 2008
  1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Any one wanna give me a Pro+Con on it? Il more likely use it as a second Slot-1. I currently have a R4.

2. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    I dont currently see any con of DSTT over R4 and dont think its necessary to get. (I have DSTT and worked with R4 for a little time)

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Pros and cons compared to what? Like nearly all recent carts, it has near-100% compatibility, is skinnable, is SDHC compatible, easy to use, runs homebrew without patching, supports GBA/RAM expansion, etc.

Pros: low price, fast (the DSTT is one of the fastest carts as far as loading the menu and roms), YSMenu (homebrew firmware), fairly regular updates to firmware (so far)
    Cons: the original firmware doesn't (yet) sort roms or show folders (but YSMenu does, and there are a few workarounds to sort the roms manually with the original firmware), some carts have been faulty (if you buy one, see if the seller is willing to pop it into a DS before sending it out and see if they get a "No Card" icon).

Compared to some of the more expensive carts like the CycloDS and Acekard RPG, less-expensive carts like the DSTT don't have in-game menus and a few other bells and whistles.

The Edge is a comparable cart, but currently its cheat database isn't in a standard format so it can't be updated. The Edge is also difficult to find. If you use cheats a lot, don't care about the bells and whistles of the more expensive carts, and/or don't mind the fact that your roms aren't sorted on the cart, you might consider a DSTT.

Compared to your R4 the main advantage is probably SDHC support.

You might also consider waiting for some reviews of the Acekard 2 which just came out (it's another lower-priced cart). It may have some additional advantages over the DSTT or Edge.

There are full reviews of the DSTT and Edge in the reviews section of this site that will give you a lot more pros and cons of each cart.

-Bri

4. Seina

Newcomer Seina Advanced Member

United States
    DSTT doesn't run current builds of DSLinux or DS-DOS. It's system files are very sensitive, don't know how else to describe it, to being corrupted by there being something wrong with the file system on the card. Every once in a while you'll get the "menu?" icon and have to troubleshoot it.

5. monaug5

Member monaug5 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I think its a wonderful card.

6. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    I second that even though I use my Cyclo now.

7. test84

Iran
    There is nothing special about it, it just does its job.

8. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I've owned two now and never had that problem. But I'm not sure what you mean by "something wrong with the file system on the card." It's possible that I've never had anything wrong with my file system.

-Bri

9. test84

Iran
    I think he has problems with his memory sticks inside the flash cards.