Thinking of a G6 Real or R4...

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by VenomSymbiote, Jul 27, 2007.

Jul 27, 2007
  1. VenomSymbiote
    OP

Newcomer VenomSymbiote Advanced Member

United States
    I like the idea of using my DS to listen to mp3's, and videos. Homebrew things like the iPod program to listen to mp3's are also interesting to me. However I've seen mixed pros and cons of both G6 Real and R4, so I'm quite confused on which to get. On one hand I don't like the idea of having to deal with MicroSD cards, and the possability of losing them or the spring inside the R4 breaking(I really don't like the idea of this). On the other, the G6 Real doesn't seem to be able to do skins such as this: http://tinyurl.com/2qkpdg Tho it's a minor thing of course, as functionality is always better. And from some things I've read have said G6DS Real can't do homebrew? I'd really be bummed if it couldn't. All this technical jargin is above my head, really... so ease of use is also a plus.

I know this is the G6 board so it'll probably be a no brainer what you guys will recommend, but please give me good input and advice as to why.

2. ahtin

Member ahtin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    1. G6 support auto DLDI at the last update
    2. G6DS Real can custom Skin

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Video and music take up a lot of space so I would advise an external memory based cart if you want to do that (there are other good carts as well as the m3dss/r4).

Homebrew: It was found a while back it was not only possible but quite nice on occasion to read/write from/to memory cards and so libraries were made. New carts and such made this a pain though so DLDI was created (in a few words DLDI is a patch that enables memory card access with certain (read 95% of) homebrew. Until quite recently the G6 real however lacked this but there was one made.

Not sure about the skinning though.

Bear in mind if you want to run GBA you will need a GBA slot cart (no exceptions and there will not be one), there are loads of threads which normally boil down to:
    EZ 3 in 1: cheap and has rumble. Small space though (you will store roms on the DS slot cart)
    EZ4 (normal, lite or deluxe, not compact): space and compatability.
    G6: memory based so space may be lacking, fairly expensive.
    M3, (anything but "professional"): quite expensive but pretty much the same as the EZ4 feature wise.

All 4 have nigh on perfect compatibility.

4. VenomSymbiote
    OP

United States
    Hmm, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Fast. Really tho I'm sure 1gig or at most 2gigs would serve my MP3 usage just fine(I usualy don't have more than 100 or so on my comp at a time, and I could just at the cart as I see fit). As well as a video here and there, which also wouldn't be much. Perhaps a favorite few favorite toons of mine. Doubt I'd be putting whole movies on it. The main problem I have is I dislike buying things that could potentialy break rather quickly. Such as the R4/M3's MicroSD spring. Hence why G6 seems like something I'd be more interested in. However I'm not sure how big a problem that is. Also, everyone seems to praise R4. As for explaining DLDI, thank you. I guess that means any DS homebrew for the most part can be used with the G6 now then. And nah, don't need any GBA compatability, so I don't have to worry about a slot 2. I own all the GBA games I could want. [​IMG] As far as games go I doubt I'd do anything outside of maybe try a DS game and see if I want to buy it, if it's meh I'd just delete it. I would however love to play all my old SNES games I had back in the day on the DS. Which'll be something I'll look into after I decide which device I'm getting.

Err... a dumb question perhaps, but, when you listen to mp3's with the G6 Real, can you shut the DS and have the light go out but still listen? Would be convenient.

5. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    I would recommend the G6 Real simply because I prefer it. I don't understand why absolutely everyone is going crazy over the R4, its a good flashcart but its nothing special. The G6 in my opinion is the best flashcart, just behind the DS-Xtreme but that has terrible support so I wouldn't recommend it anymore. The R4 is a great little card if you want removable storage, but expect 1:1 gameplay with everything, cause you won't get it. You will with the G6.

6. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I agree. The R4 is just popular because it is cheap and doesn't have any real problems.
    Have you considered the Cyclo DS Evo?, it seems it's the best one, but is kinda pricey.

About the DS-X.... I own one, and.... I wish not talk about it, the official forums say we are all thieves!....

I did get a new cart, but I went for the EZV, mostly because of the DX's offer.

7. ghettobob

Member ghettobob GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That EZV combo is really good!
    But I don't like it because its side loading, has no spring, and you have to patch soft reset (my favorite feature) via pc. Which is very last gen [​IMG]
    And recently some games haven't worked for it like #1234 that the only one I can think of from the top of my head.

But those are the only reasons I choose a SuperCard DS over it.
    And R4 is very overrated.
    G6 is over priced...When you can get an N-Card for $41 with 2gb internal memory.

But if you have to choose I would say G6 because I sense something is going to go wrong with the R4. >_>

8. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Have to agree with you there. The R4 is hyped up to the bejesus but it just isn't anything special IMO.

9. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Loving my R4DS that arrived today....... especially as it only cost me £23 ish with posting lol
    That'll do for me

10. superrab

Newcomer superrab Member

United States
    This was a worry of mine as well when I was looking for flash carts. I have a DS-X 512MB and an EZV / 3 in 1 combo which I am very satisfied with. I like the side (non-spring) loaded micro SD slot because I don't have to worry about the spring getting messed up or my micro SD card falling out in my pocket (however that might happen...)

11. VenomSymbiote
    OP

United States
    A side loading non-spring MicroSD using cart? That would certainly seem to cut down on losing the microsd card at all while in use, as well as no worry about the spring breaking. (I'd put it in a small GameBoy case I use for all my games now when not in use. [​IMG] Man I miss getting these things with portable games nowadays... WHY IN MY DAY!) I've not heard many if any things of the EZV. Usually when these types of devices come up it's either R4/M3 and sometimes G6. I know they're used mainly for games, but I'm a tad anal about customizability. Wether by skins or personal backgrounds etc. Also, homebrew. People say the G6 can do homebrew now. I looked through a few topics about it, and there were things going about of how you need to put such and such a file in a root directory or... something? Only roots I know are on plants... Hell, I'm lucky to know what drag and drop means. :x Well, I'm not that dumb but... [​IMG] I know, I sound like a hopeless idiot, but when it comes to things such as this I'm quite ignorant in the knowledge sense. As the saying goes, it's all Greek to me. I suppose it could be another reason I'm so hesitant on purchasing one. I do indeed love my DS, and turning it into a multifunctional tool, that can also play games, mp3's, etc all sound very intruiging. However it seems rather complicated, even tho people say it isn't. I don't want to waste the money either, you know? G6DS Real is about 60~, which may not seem like a lot to some but can be at times. Don't want to purchase one and be displeased with it, you know?

12. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    er, i think the hybrid feature which allows soft reset is built into the loader now. not 100% sure though since i don't have one.
    also a new loader is in the works. who knows when it'll get released though.

13. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Well I just finished a review of the G6, and I also have an R4.

After testing both I have to say...

There is no difference. Aside from cosmetic issues(including UI) both carts perform identically, have cheats, DLDI, whatever. Media plays back at the same quality on each. The only "advantage" that the G6 has is its internal memory, which performs (slightly) better than a Japanese Kingston; AKA flawlessly.

14. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It doesn't matter which one you get it, you're going to be happy with either.

I personally like my G6 Real more than my R4. I like the built memory. It's fast, and I don't have to worry about ever having any slowdowns in games because of it. Plus it's menu is the best of the any flashcart(besides the G6 Lite), in my opinion.

But the R4 is great. It has external memory, so you can go up to 4GB(I think the R4 can hold that much). But just make sure you get a good, fast, Japan made microsd with the R4.

So, I recommend going with the G6 Real(16G). But again, they're both good cart. And it doesn't matter which one you go with, you're going to have fun.

15. VenomSymbiote
    OP

United States
    Hmmm, I probably will go with the G6 Real. The 2gig would probably be best, but could you possibly recommend a place to get it rather cheap? No hope in there being any for 60~? I may go with the 1gig if there aren't any reasonable(to what I'm wanting to spend that is) price for a 2gig model. I do thank all who took the time to answer and discuss with me the pros and cons and the like. Very helpful indeed. I'll be sure to come back if/when my G6 arrives and I still don't understand the whole homebrew root thing still. [​IMG]

16. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I purchased I G6real 16Gb a few days ago and I couldn't be happier.
    It's nice to have a card with so much built in memory and not having to worry about purchasing microSDs and such.
    It's easy to use and fast, but mostly I liked the linker that comes with it(with a blue light inside that lights up as you use it) because I can just drag'n drop games into the cart at a very high speed and then just plug it in my DS and play it.
    I was able to transfer about 35 of my favorite games in a few minutes without running any external patcher( they always need to be updated by ht way ).
    Feels good to be able to use the slot-2 cover after so many months !
    No, really , the only thing I was waiting for was the 16Gb version and the dldi support.
    Now that I have it, I can say I finally got the perfect flashcart (for me).

17. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Most likely my 2nd flashcart will be the G6 Real 16GB, right now I bought my daughter the cyclods evolution for her DS Lite because of the download play compatibility. But Im really leaning towards the G6 Real when I get my own DS lite for my birthday. Like, h8uthemost said, which ever one you get, you will not be disappointed.