Hacking Thinking about upgrading my Acekard (AKAIO 1.8.1) to a DSTwo -

dude3991

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I upgraded from R4 to Acekard last year and have been loving it until some of the newer game releases... My 8GB SDHC Class 4 doesn;t seem to work with some of the newer games for exaample the new game 999, it should work fine with global AP disabled and the individual one enabled but I get the random crashes. I could swap to my normal 2GB SD but I like having the majority of games on a single SD.

So, is DSTwo effected by the newest AP against SDs? Well, thats what I assume it is.

Also curious on how well the in-built AP is? Does it play games without patches most of the time?

How is the OS now? I heard it was a little rough around the edges at the beginning.

How is GBA emulation? I'm sure I could dig up some classics I want to play like Golden Sun, Pokemon ect.

How is it all round?

I was also skimming the DS2 essentials and saw EOS and another firmware. Can someone explain as I'm a little confused.

So yeah, if you can answer any of these questions that'd be awesome. Thanks.
happy.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Q:So, is DSTwo effected by the newest AP against SDs? Well, thats what I assume it is.
A: Not too sure what you mean by 'AP against SD' but I've haven't had any problems running any of the newer game that have any type of AP on them (even '999' worked without any 'tweaking')

Q:Also curious on how well the in-built AP is? Does it play games without patches most of the time?
A: As mentioned above - I think I have only had to 'tweak' one game to get it to run (I think I had to 'turn off' RTS/RTC feature - but this has been fixed since OS 1.07 IIRC)

Q:How is the OS now? I heard it was a little rough around the edges at the beginning.
A:It's really down to what you call 'rough' - yes there were a few bugs in the original OS - but IMHO most have been 'fixed', however some people would like some 'extra features' added to it to improve it (things like plugin ordering or more 'options' to the plugin menu layout) but personally I think it's pretty much stable

Q:How is GBA emulation? I'm sure I could dig up some classics I want to play like Golden Sun, Pokemon ect.
A:Can't really answer this - don't really do many GBA/SNES games - but those I've tried have been pretty good (although I THINK Golden sun is one of the more problematic games)
I have heard that there are still problems with many GBA games (screen corruption/slow downs/ non-running) but I guess it's the same with any type of emulation. There are some tweaks that can improve compatibilty with GBA games (such as the unoffical GBA emulator made by BassAceGold)

Q:How is it all round?
A: Well I like it.. I've had several different cards (N5/M3(simply/real)/Acekard2i/DS2) & I would say this has been the best card I've ever had (the Ak2i come a close second - although I DO have problems with it when used in a DSLite) Of course it's still 'not perfect' IMHO - I would like all certain elements 'changed' slightly - but it's still considered one of the best card to have mainly 'cos of the regular support it gets from the supercard team

Q:I was also skimming the DS2 essentials and saw EOS and another firmware. Can someone explain as I'm a little confused.
A:If what I think you're talking about is right
- The 'firmware' is what's used to update the DS2 card to bypass the Nintendo 1.4.1 (& any future) updates that blocked cards
- the OS is what's is used to run games/homebrew etc & is usually updated more frequent to get more game compatibility

Hope this helps

dude3991

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks!

I'm not too sure myself against 'AP against SD' but recently there has been games that only play on certain types os SD cards I believe, Pokemon Black & White being the first example I can think of.

Everything else seems okay. Bit disapointed by the fact that Golden Sun is a bit dodgy but I can live. It seems like one day it'll be fully playable so it's okay.

Also good to know how it is regularly supported by the team, and I imagine it will be for the forseeable future. Yeah, so it looks like I'll be buying mine in the morn, granted I don't come across any horror stories.

Will keep topic open to find other peoples opinion but yeah. Thanks again CannonFoddr!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
FYI - although I'm not really a Pokemon fan but I can tell you that out of curiosity I did try out 'Pocket Monsters Black (J)' - (I believe it an 'unpatched' version as the site I got it from also had a 'patched' version that I could download)....

That started up & ran without any problems that I could see (although everything was in Japanese - which I can't understand
laugh.gif
) - & I used it on the DStwo with a Kingston 8gb SDHC card without needing to do any 'tweaking'

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Q:How is GBA emulation? I'm sure I could dig up some classics I want to play like Golden Sun, Pokemon ect.
A:Can't really answer this - don't really do many GBA/SNES games - but those I've tried have been pretty good (although I THINK Golden sun is one of the more problematic games)
I have heard that there are still problems with many GBA games (screen corruption/slow downs/ non-running) but I guess it's the same with any type of emulation. There are some tweaks that can improve compatibilty with GBA games (such as the unoffical GBA emulator made by BassAceGold)
That's the unofficial SNES emulator by bassacegold, there is no unoffical GBA emulator, at least not yet.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Terminator02 said:
CannonFoddr said:
A:Can't really answer this - don't really do many GBA/SNES games ............There are some tweaks that can improve compatibilty with GBA games (such as the unoffical GBA emulator made by BassAceGold)
That's the unofficial SNES emulator by bassacegold, there is no unoffical GBA emulator, at least not yet.
opps my bad - I must've been thinking of something else @ the time, although I'm sure there was 'something' for the GBA emulator that improved compatibility

2wirends

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you had an R4, couldnt you just use Wood Firmware 1.17?

It should fix all your AP issues since that seems to be updated pretty frequently.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
2wirends said:
if you had an R4, couldnt you just use Wood Firmware 1.17?
I guess it depends on the type of R4 dude3991 has.
IIRC Wood firmware only supports certain types of R4 cards (not having any type of R4 I don't really know for sure) - also it's possible that dude3991 upgraded to a DSiXL & the R4 doesn't work on it so he brought a newer card that does

dude3991

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a normal DSi and my R4 is long gone unfortunately, so I have my Acekard 2i now.

Wow, I had such a mission getting Black/White working! The AP bypass in this card has me sold I think, sounds extremely impressive. Will buy in a bit. Thanks for the help guys!

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. I remember when Pokemon B&W was first dumped and I couldn't go on here to see if the DS2 worked with this flawlessly. So I just downloaded the ROM and put it on and it worked perfectly. Gotta really love that.

dude3991

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The deed is done, and it is bought. Can't wait. Should be here in the next few days just in time for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn!
happy.gif

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Great choice you made there.
I pretty much own all the top-line flashcarts and I am most satisfied with the DSTwo.
Having it for a few days and I had no issues WHATSOEVER.
I have heard complains about the build quality, but I myself must say that the plastic they used feels quite good.
All in one the TOP cart to have
smile.gif

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:
Terminator02 said:
CannonFoddr said:
A:Can't really answer this - don't really do many GBA/SNES games ............There are some tweaks that can improve compatibilty with GBA games (such as the unoffical GBA emulator made by BassAceGold)
opps my bad - I must've been thinking of something else @ the time, although I'm sure there was 'something' for the GBA emulator that improved compatibility

There was a GBA emulator update to 1.30 but that actually made things worse (except for a couple of games) because it doesn't work with game_config.txt. Lots of people, including myself, downgraded back to 1.25 because of that.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
dude3991 said:
I'm not too sure myself against 'AP against SD' but recently there has been games that only play on certain types os SD cards I believe, Pokemon Black & White being the first example I can think of.
I think I know what you're asking...do you mean games that are really sensitive to the speed of your SD card?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
CannonFoddr said:
Terminator02 said:
CannonFoddr said:

There was a GBA emulator update to 1.30 but that actually made things worse (except for a couple of games) because it doesn't work with game_config.txt. Lots of people, including myself, downgraded back to 1.25 because of that.
that was an official update by the supercard team

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a game_config floating around made to work with the 1.3 update?

dude3991

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
9th_Sage said:
dude3991 said:
I think I know what you're asking...do you mean games that are really sensitive to the speed of your SD card?

Must be. It was like you need a certain type SD card (PNY?) and stuff...

Got my DSTwo in the post is awesome so far! 999 works fine as do ther games I couldn't get working on my Acekard (Super Robot Wars L), so yay! Getting to grips with it atm... Any tips or homebrew or whatever I should do/get?

Also, GBA emulator 1.3 or 1.25?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...