Hardware Thinking about selling and upgrading to a 3DS XL

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is game save data stored on the SD card or on the 3DS games themselves? I ask because I too might make the jump someday to 3DS XL. What does the system transfer actually transfer and would I need to do it (don't have digital downloads at all)?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Is game save data stored on the SD card or on the 3DS games themselves? I ask because I too might make the jump someday to 3DS XL. What does the system transfer actually transfer and would I need to do it (don't have digital downloads at all)?
Save data for retail games are stored on the game cartridges themselves. Digital download save data is saved to the SD card.

If you do a transfer, it merges everything from the "source" 3DS and "target" 3DS onto the target 3DS (downloads, etc). The friend code and mii plaza and other social data from the source 3DS overwrites that on the target 3DS. So yes you should do a transfer, if you want to retain your friend code, friend list, and all other personal data.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save data for retail games are stored on the game cartridges themselves. Digital download save data is saved to the SD card.

If you do a transfer, it merges everything from the "source" 3DS and "target" 3DS onto the target 3DS (downloads, etc). The friend code and mii plaza and other social data from the source 3DS overwrites that on the target 3DS. So yes you should do a transfer, if you want to retain your friend code, friend list, and all other personal data.

I don't think I have anyone on the 3DS friend list, but I do on my Wii U, so that shouldn't be an issue. Should I skip the transfer, I'd have a new friend code and would need to give that out, correct? All I really care about is my save data, well that and MP3s, but I already have those so no biggie. Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure! Is it safe to assume the upgrade to the XL is more than worth it? I wonder if I could do the transfer at the store I make the transaction at, I'm sure it wouldn't be a hassle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended