Thinking about getting this laptop

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by CJL18, Jul 9, 2015.

1. CJL18
    OP

CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2007
    United States
  2. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    The specs are what I actually like. Totally worth the price. Read the reviews on the page also; people give their experience on it.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If I found one in the street or was given one as a gift I would probably be delighted with it. Whether I would buy one for myself or a client is possibly a different matter -- for the most part that looks like someone in Asus marketing selected the most expensive/top of the line options, stuck them all in a machine and added a fair bit to the price and is selling it for those that want the most expensive thing right off the showroom floor. Likewise just a 1 year warranty on parts and labour... such a thing does not inspire confidence but looking at the competition in the US these days it seems about standard... sucks to be in the US I guess.

Gaming laptop might actually be a meaningful term these days (shock to me that one was), however anybody claiming a desktop like experience on like for like prices can probably be ignored. Along the same lines I also have to ask what you intend to do with this -- I assume it is something reasonably high end in games or video but it would help to know.

Alas my usual trick of price up equivalent parts is going to suffer here so I will instead see what laptops come with a GTX 980M and go from there, though looking around the GTX 970M does tend to knock off a lot and still give more than acceptable performance. Likewise we are sitting on the cusp of a new Intel line of processors so you might wish to hold off for a tiny bit, either to get that or to benefit from a slight price drop here.

Anyway 24 gigs is nice but might be overkill for a lot of purposes, and in this silly price laptop world you can pay somewhat over the odds for it (you can get 8 gig sticks for just north of $40 a hit).

It looks likes for the SSD side of things you might be getting two 128 gig SSDs shoved into RAID0 which is amusing to me. I could probably demonstrate real differences you might not even need special software to tell but I doubt I could make a compelling case for an upgrade to it. The other hard drive is only 1TB too. 2TB ones exist these days and for not a lot of money.

The screen. It might be a nice one as far as such things go but it is only 1080p if newegg is to believed. The Gigabyte P35X v3 goes for about $500 less, has the same processor and graphics, and sports 2880 x 1620 (albeit a 15 inch screen to that one's 17).

So yeah you will probably get a shiny, fast and well built laptop for the money. I could do the same performance for less money I reckon and more performance for the same, to say nothing of the impending updates to all sorts of CPU and GPU product lines.

4. CJL18
    OP

CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2007
    United States
    I travel alot that's why I'm getting a laptop

5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    We have those for work actually. Let me make one thing clear. They are NOT portable friendly. I mean you can transport one, but its cumbersome and heavy as hell.

6. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    If you plan on gaming AND doing business, get it. Doing just business, I'd recommend looking for cheaper.

7. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    24 may be too much. And it's a pain to move it by lookinf at the pics.

8. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    That beast makes me feel weird about my saving endeavors. Building a high end PC that handles gaming and CPU intensive tasks, everything totals at least $3300. That's $800 more than this, such a discrepancy actually is rather small to me. I would never do gaming on a laptop, and I'd use them only for travel and portability. It wouldn't have to do much, just play movies and music, and handle loads of refreshing, page loading, and 4k video file playback. In that respect, I'd aim for laptops that are for general use. Desktops for hardcore use, if that makes sense. So for laptops, the ones that turn me on are around $400. Someone who came over to install insulation in the house, had a bulky Alienware laptop. I liked the appearance, but that won't fit in my backpack, so I figure it's not an easy carry unless I pony up for laptop case.

If a laptop's over $1000, that's pretty ridiculous in my view, but do what you want. If I made money like Jordan Belfort, that much and that quick, I'd buy it.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    What kind of monster machine are you contemplating that clocks $3300? Assuming that does not include screens that is touching on workstation grade stuff. Or is this must buy the extreme edition when a bog standard I7 ?K will probably compete?

10. fengjunzi

fengjunzi Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    24GB is far more than need. 16 is the best. 4GB 980Mis probablyenough,but I prefet 8 GB 980M+16GB mem for gaming. Consider Aorus X7 (dual 970m) 17.3' X5( dual 965M) 15' ...

For the one I prefer mobile gaming, X3 plus(970m) is perfect( Will, temperature is a problem for all little gaming laptop) I do not suggest it...

And, MSI is probably another good choice.