Thinking about getting an xbox360... which one???

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by dreadyz, Sep 3, 2010.

1. dreadyz
    OP

Member dreadyz GBAtemp Regular

France
    I have a PS3, but I've been wanting to get an Xbox360. I'd still buy certain PS3 exclusives & FPS games for playing online with friends & I'd use the Xbox360 to play only single player backups that I obtain from friends or elsewhere...... I have no intention of paying for XboxLive after the free month.

I could get a brand new xbox360 elite here: http://www.foxchip.com/xbox360-elite-flashee-p-2652.html

or one of these used ones: http://www.foxchip.com/xbox-360-console-oc...on-c-69_83.html

I'm also wondering about the region locking...... I live in France, but I'm American and prefer gaming in English.... will all PAL games I download in English work on French consoles? Thanks

2. Link00y

Newcomer Link00y Advanced Member

Germany
    The 360 might have the most complicated region code settings of all (after all Microsoft seperates Europe and Australia - just most games have both region codes enabled, I have yet to see one allowing one of both territories) however, there is ONLY ONE region code for Europe.

So yes, there should be at least an UK English version for all PAL games - just be careful when you download French versions.. EA for example often creates continental European versions which basically contain all languages except for English (German, Italian, French, Spanish, Dutch and such). If you however get UK versions you're on the safe side.

For the choice which one you'd want to get: if you intend to perform a so-called JTAG hack on the console (you can also get pre-jtagged PAL consoles on xbox-scene.com forums) you need to get an old one which has not been updated to a 8xxx firmware. On a JTAGged console you can also play backups without burning them to expensive DVD+R DL discs (all Xbox games require DVD+R DL - even 10 MB games) and you can patch games to remove region locking - then you could also safely play US games (note: many US games do not work if you connect them to a regular classic PAL TV - they do not allow to be run in PAL-50 or PAL-60. A PAL Xbox won't let you choose NTSC output. If you however have a modern TV or use a PC monitor, VGA, Component or HDMI work cross-region for all games).

I hope this clears your issues!

3. dreadyz
    OP

Member dreadyz GBAtemp Regular

France
    Thanks for the information. A couple of my friends have pretty big collections of games & they probably downloaded the continental European versions without English so I'll watch out for that. The JTAG Hack sounds like the way to go if I can find an xbox360 that hasn't been updated yet beyond the 8xxx firmware.