Thinking about getting a 360 for Christmas

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Mei-o, Dec 20, 2008.

Dec 20, 2008
  1. Mei-o
    OP

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    Ok, sooo, I have a bit of extra right now and I'm thinking if I should get one or not(it's kind of cheap, 40GB is 40 bucks cheaper than a PSP compared to $400, the price of a Wii in this stupid country), I'm mostly concerned about the disc scratching(which really bites in the long run), the FPS full library(a genre that I'm not really a fan of), space hogging, ventilation and overheating issues and the RRoD issue(stuff involving warranty here isn't really what I'd call reliable), everyone seems to be having so much fun with it for a reason I don't know, can anyone enlighten me on the 360?

PS: I probably won't be using Live, I don't want to pay $50 a year to play online with a bunch of random assholes and get shouted at or flamed while they're at it.

2. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Well I got to be honest, Xbox 360 is for hardcore gamers; somewhat. I'm not too sure since I'm getting one this Christmas.

3. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    YOU, WANTING A 360???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT.

I've said this numerous times. The 360 has more than just FPS games.

4. Mei-o
    OP

Japan
    YOU, DEFENDING THE 360???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT.

WE'LL SETTLE THIS AFTER CLASS! Oh wait...

5. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Well, I don't have mine yet, so I don't really have experience with one... but from my point of view, it looks like an incredible console. Although most games are FPS, it still has some really good games that aren't FPS... good graphics, awesome online experience, some very nice Arcade games... Iunno, just seems great all around.

6. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I can agree. Most of the games I want for the 360 are not FPS. Sure a couple are but I really want Lost Oddessy, Mass Effect and Assassins Creed.

7. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    You should definitely get one, it's an awesome machine. I was worried about the RRoD issue and stuff. When I first set it up I had it on a shelf under the TV and had problems with a couple of games freezing randomly, I've moved it off the shelf (it was in a corner and I don't think the air was circulating properly) onto the floor and it runs perfectly. Not had a single freeze since.

As for disc scratching, just make sure you get a hard drive as the dashboard lets you install games to it now. I've got most of my games on the hard drive now and the machine stays nice and cool, it's really quiet and there's no fear of disc scratching. I've noticed on some 360's the DVD drive can run a lttle warm when it's been on for a while, no problems like that when run from the hard disk.

The quality of the games for the 360 is outstanding. There are alot of FPS and driving games admittedly, but there's alot of variation as well. It's more than just a gaming console as well. It makes a very nice media center as well, plus built in IM and voice chat. I know it's not the only console that can do it, but it they make nice additions. I wouldn't say it was just for hard-core gamers either.

8. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    true. but the number of FPS's heavily outweigh all other genres on the console.

9. kristianity77

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    there are a lot of FPS on the 360 yeah. But i have a 360, and dont really care for the vast majority of these kind of games but still have over 50 games in my collection from most different genres

10. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    There is no such thing as a 40GB 360. There is only 20GB, 60GB and 120GB. 20GB pro has been discontinued (but you still can get the hard drive), the 60GB replaced it.

11. Mei-o
    OP

Japan
    Oh sorry, I misread, it was a 60GB Pro, it really sucks that they jacked up the price by twice(wtf), it was supposed to be some sort of Christmas sale, so I guess I won't be getting one after all(GAH dammit, I let another awesome sale just go by AND it also had 3 free games!), thanks for the comments guys(except you Tropicana, you still owe me one), I appreciate it a lot!

12. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    Yeah, get a 360

Only real reason not to is the RRoD.. but it's not as big a deal as it was anymore.
    I got my 360 for mirrors edge alone, totally worth it.

13. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    We talk about this all the time over MSN. What more do I need to tell you to convince you that the 360 has decent games that aren't FPS?