thinking about flashing my 360 (benq)

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by godsakes, May 21, 2009.

May 21, 2009
  1. godsakes
    OP

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    orginally i had my 360 sent away to be flashed - i didn't really count on having to update it again
    i'm considering flashing it myself to 1.6 (otherwise the postage cost to and back is going to start to really add up) is it possible to flash it without the orginal firmware?

EDIT

stratch that, the firmware was emailed to me

can anyone give me a quick guide as to what i need to flash the Benq drive using a Vista computer? (i've got a PCI via sata controller on order) -

here's as far as i've got so far
    1. i've had a quick play with iprep 008.9 and just got a updated defination which recognises the new 1.6 Ixtreme firmware i downloaded
    2. i've tried to make a boot drive, while it copies over 'DosFlash' 'DummyGen' 'FirmTool' etc i'm not sure it's copied any files which makes it bootable

since i've already got my orginal firmware, presumably i can cut out a few steps and make a new one right? how?
    okay i've managed to use Firmtool to make my customised 1.6 firmware (using this guide http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/firmware-h...-firmtool.html)

is all i need now a method of making a bootable drive and then flash using 'dosflash'?

2. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
  3. godsakes
    OP

United Kingdom
  4. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    It becomes second nature to most people.

5. godsakes
    OP

United Kingdom
    just to check then, since i've already made my own firmware for 1.6 is this all i need to do:

1. open up xbox
    2. connect to PC internal sata (via)
    3. load dosflash 32
    4. erase existing firmware
    5. Write 1.6 Firmware
    6. Check the drive ejects
    7. reasemble xbox & test burnt game

any other steps/checks?

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    That is all you need to do although I should note that the write part of dosflash erases anyway (I normally use dosflash 16).

I must stress for anyone else reading get your firmware first (note you can pull keys from a modded version), if you erase it without a copy of those keys you win a brick for a 360.

7. godsakes
    OP

United Kingdom
    okay i've gotten as far is hooking up the PC & 360 together

i've gotten the PC to read the 360 dvd firmware (by opening the drive, unpluging it, half closing then powering back on)

i've dumped the firmware (just in case) which dumps a 2097152 byte file [​IMG]

i've tried to write the new firmware but dosflash32 won't let me as the file sizes don't match (as the one i made is 256kb)

should i try to make another firmware using that (2mb??) dump? or erase the exisitng firmware and flash with the current one i've made

edit: sorry i'm being thick

the first drive dosflash was picking up was the PC's dvd drive

edit2:
    tested on a backup and working fine so far, thank god

8. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Since you have a BenQ, you dont have to put the drive into mode B like that.

9. godsakes
    OP

United Kingdom
    dosflash32 seemed to insist on it - but next time i flash i'll see if i can skip that