thinking about buying an R4, a few questions

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by pizzalogic4477, Jul 24, 2008.

1. pizzalogic4477
    OP

Newcomer pizzalogic4477 Newbie

United States
    Im new too this, sorry for the questions that have probably been answered a 1000 times.

1. Is is it possible to run DS roms on an R4?

2. I know you need a slot-2 device to run GBA games, where do I find one?

3. How many DS games could I fit on a 2 Gig (roughly, I know it depends on size)?

4. Is R4 a good choice?

2. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    1. Of course. That's what they're made for.

2. It's common. If you're planning on getting a Slot-1, make sure to get a Slot-2 expansion, not a whole new slot-2 because that wouldn't be a good choice.

3. I have about 65 games on my 8 gig card, and that's about 4.2 gigs. So, I'd say about 15 games.

4. No. It's overpriced, and it has no support from its team. It can't do SDHC, and has no features. It was the best one around awhile back. Now, it's really not worth the money. You can find cheaper alternatives, that has more support, cheaper, and has more features than the R4. Here's the current best to worst, with the prices.

CycloDS ($50) > SCDS1 (A bit Hard to use at first. $28) > AceKard RPG ($65) > Acekard 2 ($23) > M3 Real ($30, I think) > EDGE ($24 or 26) > DSTT ($19.91) > R4 (30 bucks or so.)

3. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    For SLOT-2, go with the EZFlash 3-in-1 Expansion Pack, cheap and very functional. As for the storage, my 2 gig card has over 30 games plus ~15 GBA games, it's a huge amount of space. All the other questions were answered quite well.

4. pizzalogic4477
    OP

United States
    What are the advantages of Cyclo? and is it easy to use for a newbie? And what type of Slot-2 should I use with it?

5. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    It's fairly user friendly.

It's extremely easy to use, and it has a smooth GUI to use.

It's support team is excellent, with the team actually answering your questions on their forums, within a few hours. Also, they're a European company, so they're native English speakers, so you wouldn't have any problems with the language barrier. They also release BETA versions of their firmware, and even take suggestions from their own users. Lots of the user suggestions actually have been approved.

And it has cool features, like the Real Time Save (Which lets you save anywhere, any time. Its much more useful than you may think), Slow-mo, Native EZflash 3-in-1 support, the upcoming Real-Time guide, Homebrew soft-reset, and a few others.

It can also take SDHC cards, which are cards over 2 gigs.

The R4 has none of those things.

6. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    Go for the CycloDS it is the best flashcart in the market.Has a better interface to.

7. pizzalogic4477
    OP

United States
    WOW! Ok, thanks for the help, I think I will pick up a Cyclo instead.

Sorry to throw another set of questions but.

-Is it difficult to use the EZ flash with Cyclo to run GBA games?

-How well do SNES emulators run on it?

8. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    Answers in bold.

9. pizzalogic4477
    OP

United States
    ok thanks for all your help, I just ordered a Cyclo Evolution. And I got a micro SD all ready to go.

10. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    I can fit around 35 games on my 2gb San disc.. I have an R4... Tis good but I want SDHC so Ima going to update when i get money.. Im broke right now.. I AM only 14 you know [​IMG]

11. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    as above too using R4 here with 2gb micro sd (I also have M3 REAL and ACEKARD 2 but still end up going back to my R4)

48 ds roms + opera browser ... crap loads of emulators + roms for them(snes.nes,genesis,gamegear,atari vcs,neogeo) and a few homebrew and some mp3's [​IMG]

also have an ezflash 3in1 slot 2 card works great with opera browser and gba roms although I mainly use it for opera [​IMG]

if you want to get a cyclo then get one its your money [​IMG]

if you want an R4 again your money just make sure you buy from a reputable retailer and make sure they send you a real legit R4 as there are MANY MANY clones out there [​IMG]

sure R4 aint the best but it still plays about 98% of all games the odd 2% will work but need a little arm7 fix here and there or a save file fix there are guides on both on the forum and the fixing takes no longer than finding a rom to download and putting it on your card [​IMG]

12. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    My son has this on his (full!) 2gb microsd:

46 DS games
    10 Nes games
    01 ebook (140 pages worth)
    04 Homebrew (Lone Wolf DS, book 1 / ComicBook DS v3.0 / nesDS emulator / World of Sand DS v0.1)

I'd say his rom (trimmed) size probably averages @ around 40mb, but there are a few games out there are of 130+mb in size, so obviously DS game capacity can obviously vary.

13. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hmm..I can fit a lot of games on my 2GB R4..

28 DS Games.
    23 GB/GBC Games + Emu.
    5 Genesis Games + Emu.
    16 NES Games + Emu.
    42 SNES Games + Emu.

Total: 114 Games + 500MB Spare.

CycloDS is better. But if you're in my situation, and can't get one, the R4 is a fine choice.

14. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    So if u are set on the Cyclo it's probably the best to use but R4 i repeat is not BAD, it's just not updated as it was being so previously

15. clubmania

Newcomer clubmania Newbie

United States
    Just seen that the R4DS with SDHC support with upto 32gb capicity is now out.
    A friend of mine has one with an 8gb SD card ..he got his from the US So yipeee can not wait to get my hands on one of these!
    I have looked around for one, and only place I found so far that will have them is www.tekphobia.co.uk The official R4DSHC website gives you more information.

16. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Isn't it one of those fake R4DS's? Just seems a bit suspicious that it isn't on the official R4DS site.

17. Gab

Newcomer Gab Advanced Member

Hong Kong
    What I find really suspicious is that this user if picking up R4 threads and using the same reply, referring to those said websites.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=Search&am...sult_type=posts