Think piracy isn't that big of a deal? Think again!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Rayder, May 2, 2009.

1. Rayder
    OP

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I found a very eye-opening article on piracy that I think everyone should read. It is a very long read (and I mean VERY long, 10 rather large pages), but everyone should read it. It is very well written, non-biased and extremely informative. It mainly focuses on PC piracy, but it does talk about consoles too. Piracy is apparently a hell of a lot more rampant than previously thought, especially on the PC. Read it for yourself before even bothering to comment.

PC Game Piracy Examined - by TweakGuides.com

Not saying it will change my evil ways though. [​IMG] But it does help to explain the sorry state of PC gaming......and if you read between the lines, the DS also.

2. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    I am on a pirated version of XP (I hate vista), running a pirated version of AVG (good till 2018), with many pirated programs (photoshop, office, video encoders, and other various programs).

If I were to add up the total cost (not including xp), it would be around 4-5 thousand dollars, since alot of the programs are over $500 each.

Will I stop? No.
    Do I care? No.
    Is piratebay and demonoid my friends, hell yea!

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Will read this when I have absolutely nothing to do, thanks for the link!

4. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    i have read through some of it. he seems very thoughtful instead of simply using thousands of irrelevant statistics. very interesting find. i will read this after doing an assessment

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I read it a few weeks back and aside from the beginners masterclass at the start of the article I did not go it, I would not accuse the guy of bias just yet but I would say that he does not explore the "anti piracy" arguments in as great a detail or subject them to as great a scrutiny as the counter arguments which does not sit with me. He also appears to have almost a numerical points list rather than a weighted one and dare I say it appears as though he thinks at some level there is an entitlement (business is inherently risky in my opinion and I will also mention the term "loss leader"). He also seems to make the mistake of thinking that steam is somehow near flawless from a protection standpoint when the exact opposite would be the case (there are centralised "pirate" steam servers in existence, outside of the scene proper (as in FTP sites) I do not think I have ever seen such a thing other than perhaps xbins).
    Same with his XP vs Vista article (my opinion I can tweak both to make a "good" operating system but to do it to XP is quicker and easier with any and all advantages of vista being obtainable aside from DX10 which nothing worth mentioning really uses) and to a lesser extent his general PC tweaking guide. His game tweaking guides are top notch though.
    In the end a commendable attempt but could have done better, this being said I would be willing to debate the what I presume to be a bell curve (probability vs actual cost) idea he hints at as the "cost" of such things.
    I will say though those people that call the tech support, I am not sure I can come up with an insult/witty remark able to do that one justice.

@zidane_genome I have to ask but most of those apps have a free equivalent and now having played with most of them I actually prefer them (certainly video encoders but I can see how a debate as to the other apps could be had).

6. Captin

Newcomer Captin Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have previously used any software I could download.

But recently I came to the realisation that there is some extremely excellent software for free.

I buy software from little peeps (shareware) that I think is worth it. I dont line the pockets of big companies that are just out to fleece anyone they can.

I have a legit Windows Vista x64.
    I use Thunderbird for email (with birdiesync to sync with my mobile).
    Gimp for photo editing (better than photoshop IMHO).
    Audacity for sound editing.
    Open Office (more featues than MS Office 2007, check out the comparison on the open office web site).
    Imageburn for burning EVERYTHING (it's not just for ISO images).
    Picasa for picture browsing.
    Firefox for web (plus I've tried chrome, opera too).
    Total Commander for file copying (plus a million other uses way way wy better than windows explorer).
    VLC for video playback.
    Grabit (for newsgroup downloading).

And the list goes on. For every paid for program there is 20+ free (or very nearly) equivalents. Most of the free/cheap software is written by peeps who actually want to make useful programs instead of companies that churnout generic crap with tons of "have to pay for" upgrades.

Music and DVD is another matter, I wouldnt pay for 80% of the crap films I watch, and I download US TV shows cos we dont get them here in the UK.

7. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    i have the exact same thing running on one of my desktops over here xD

I totally agree and understand your viewpoint, and like i've said before, piracy will ALWAYS be around, no matter what the case, however i will read that article, thanks for the link Rayder [​IMG]

8. Rayder
    OP

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Personally, I don't download movies and all our OS's in the house are legit. But everything else...... [​IMG]

I do buy some PC games (GTA4, Devil May Cry, all the Flatout games, Psychonaughts, Silent Hill, Need For Speed, etc.) but the greater percentage is downloaded.

And of course DS games are all slurpies too.

9. Djay187

Member Djay187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks Rayder that was a really interesting article, quite eye opening.

10. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Gonna read it tonight. Need to kill some time anyways.

11. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    That's cool and all, but I don't think it's smart to directly admit that. I personally don't care, but there might be someone who is an anti-pirate and yeah......

12. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    what if someone is? what are they gonna do? somehow track that post and take a flight to his country and knock on his door and personally punish him? If someone is an "anti pirate" they are probably trying to stop bigger things like ROM/Music piracy sites and Torrents rather than a GBAtemp member.

13. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I could have sworn that article wasn't new at at all and there was flaws with it. If I get time ill read through again and pick them out again.

I think some of it was outright wrong/a crock of shit other parts blatantly ignored certain things, etc.

IMO the only sorry state PC Gaming is in is the OVER emphasis on piracy and it being used as an opt out card to "convert" a game over and an excuse when poorly "ported" games sell awful. If companies actually paid attention to whats going on in the market and adapted properly instead of moronic draconian approaches like securom + activations they might actually get somewhere, but no. Instead they sloppily port games over or make a classic game franchise so diluted and "easy mode" not even a 5 year old would struggle through it then have the cheek to attach activations to it. To top it off cry piracy when it sells like trash.

Its not just state of PC gaming due to piracy its state of the gaming industry over all cutting down games (so they are shorter and easier) to push them out faster on consoles and make a bigger buck on DLC for them (which was probably cut from the final game no less).

14. golden

United States
    why so serious?

15. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Who cares? I know if everyone stopped downloading right now, the economy might do a bit better, and we might get better games. But the couple hundred dollars (Canadian) worth of games that I've downloaded has virtually zero impact on the welfare of the video game industry. There's nothing I can do.

16. epicelite

Member epicelite Equal opportunity ass kicker.

United States
    I don't feel bad about pirating things I could not afford to buy anyway. EX:
    3DS Max
    Photoshop
    Other insanely expensive programs only meant to be purchase by professionals with large sums or cash.

I mean, I either steal it or do not have it. [​IMG]

I also don't feel bad about pirating games that are no longer produced/sold by their developer. [​IMG]
    NES ROM's and such.

I do feel bad about pirating GOOD games that are new/still being sold, but I have no job so fuck it. [​IMG]

17. golden

United States
    Ya that's what everybody says "the games I've DLed have no impact on the economy" or "I haven't downloaded that much to have a negative impact" but since everyone has that mindset it adds up fast so you are actually contributing to it.

18. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Firstly, I didn't use stupid abbreviations and had perfect grammar and spelling. Secondly, my first sentence stated I already know what you just said. My point was that "I" can't do anything. If we all stopped, we could make a difference, but really, I can't do anything on my own.

19. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    nice article, but like many here would say, of course u would buy the programs but u would dl the insanly expensive ones that professionals use

20. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Well...
    If people priced software at reasonable prices, then noone would be bothered to pirate.
    But, come on CS4 $3000? Noone uses it that much anyway! Even the professionals.