Think my console might be dead

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bstock, Jul 22, 2008.

Jul 22, 2008

Think my console might be dead by bstock at 2:46 PM (1,211 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. bstock
    OP

Newcomer bstock Newbie

United States
    So my console is acting like it's been banner bricked. It comes up to the first Health&Safety screen and will not proceed, the little 'A' icon near the bottom does not even show up. The controllers will sync, but I cannot do anything.

About a month ago I installed the Homebrew Chan and a few WAD files. The system still worked after that, I used it a few times afterwards. Then last week it just stopped going past that first screen.

Now the months leading up to this happening, I had a few issues where if the console stayed in standby for 2-3 days at a time, it would not turn on unless i unplugged the power and plugged it back in.

So I tried using 2 different trucha-signed disks to autoboot WAD-manager, nothing. Tried the Zelda ISO with the autoboot byte set and still nothing. At that point I was thinking it's not a banner brick and hardware failure. The console was sitting on top of my 360 for a while, maybe that wasn't such a great idea.

I took apart the console and disconnected the chip (Cyclowiz on launch console), same behavior. I completely disconnected the DVD drive and still got exact same behavior. So nothing I could do would get it past that first screen.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried everything I could think of. I'm thinking it's not chip/WAD related because of the power issues in the months before it died, maybe something in the system just finally went out.

BTW: It's a NTSC-U console, not sure if I'm running 3.2 or 3.3. I believe it's 3.2, but tested the Zelda ISO in case it was 3.3. Neither booted, and the Zelda ISO should boot even with 3.3 fw if it is in fact a banner brick.

2. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    It might be a failure due to overheating. I sent my Wii to Nintendo for repairs because of this, and the tech support told me I'm lucky, because my Wii still boots. Having WiiConnect24 on all the time causes the Starlet processor inside the GPU to overheat, which usually causes graphical glitches, such as random green/black pixels. In extreme cases however, the damage could prevent the system from booting. (Thats what Nintendo staff said, so it's probably true...)

3. bstock
    OP

Newcomer bstock Newbie

United States
    Hmm ok, that's kind of what I was thinking. I remember a few games did have the green/black pixelation stuff, especially noticable on Twilight Princess. It did it from the start as soon as I got the console but I never thought too much of it.

So, if that is the issue, my only real option is to send it in to Nintendo right..? Since the console is out-of-warranty I'm sure they won't do it for free either. Do you happen to know the cost to have them fix an out-of-warranty console?

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Helsionium

Austria
    I don't know about that for sure, they repaired my Wii without even asking about warranty. Contact your Nintendo tech support before sending it in, they'll tell you.

5. ndsmaster

Newcomer ndsmaster Member

United States
    I have a xbox 360 and when you play it the 360 it the console gets warm very quickly and i think the heat from the xbox might have damadged parts inside the Wii

6. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

What? [​IMG]

7. CasperH

CasperH Newbie

The heat from the Xbox jumped to the Wii and that caused the artefacts [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I've had the same problem and the Nintendo staff told me that it's just an internet rumour and that they aren't sure if it's really because of WiiConnect24 being activated. My thought was like: 'Sure, internet rumour.'
    Anyways, I was still covered by the warranty and got a completely new one (wrote down the serial before sending it in).

9. Helsionium

Austria
    That's interesting - my local Nintendo tech support definitely knew that it was due to WiiConnect24. They even told me to turn it off on my new Wii!

10. bstock
    OP

Newcomer bstock Newbie

United States
    I couldn't see WiiConnect24 causing the machine to overheat enough to fry the graphics chip, since I'm sure WiiConnect24 uses much less processing power and no graphics. But, if the Wii was already warm from sitting on the 360 and then WiiConnect kicks in, that I can see could be what caused it to overheat/fry/whatever.

11. Helsionium

Austria
    Well, WiiConnect24 runs entirely on the Starlet processor, which is located inside Hollywood, the graphics processor. So it does make sense, and even tech support staff mentions it...

12. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

Huge LOL