Thieves Selling Stolen Cars On Craigslist Then Stealing Them Back

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TLSS_N, Jun 1, 2011.

1. TLSS_N
    OP

Member TLSS_N Who is John Galt?

United States
    SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Police are calling it a new phenomenon in crime. Stolen cars are showing up on Craigslist. They’re sold and then stolen again. CBS13 has more on this new scheme.

Police put out warnings about a number of Craigslist crimes, but this one takes a new twist.

“It’s a new phenomenon for us,” said Officer Laura Peck of the Sacramento Police Dept.

Two cars were stolen, sold online, and then stolen again, making a double profit for the car thieves.

Police say the cars were stolen months ago. On Sunday night they were both sold through Craigslist; one in Oak Park and the other in South Sacramento. The suspects then returned to these neighborhoods and stole the cars again.

“The two cases are very similar and they are going to be investigated as being related,” said Peck.

The suspect descriptions also match up. The Craigslist ads, which are apparently still online, offered the cars for a very low price, prompting police once again to warn online shoppers that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

“Anyone who’s looking to buy a vehicle and not doing it from a dealer, they should confirm the license plate and last four digits of the VIN to ensure that they match,” said Peck.

Both of the stolen cars have now been located and have been returned to the original owners. The second set of victims, the buyers, are out of luck in this case.

Police are reviewing other stolen car reports to see if there are more victims out there.[/p]

Source

Genius, pure genius ///sarcasm.

2. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    It's the circle of life?

3. TLSS_N
    OP

United States
    and I guess...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

4. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    This is Sales Cycle, like the Water Cycle.

5. TLSS_N
    OP

United States
    what about the weather cycle, that surely must count for something. [​IMG]

6. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Who knows [​IMG], reading that just brought a new cycle in mind, the Sony Cycle. (Hackathon)

7. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    No, it's the Sonic Cycle (You buy the game, notice you got ripped off and sell it back, and now you have much less money than you started with).

8. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    sacoftomato area is so ghetto. every bike i've had growing up was stolen. a friends car got stolen out of his drive way and it didn't even have wheels. some kid started taking tennis rackets out of my car at a mall as i was loading it!!! i was staring at him the whole time and then grabbed him by the shirt as he tried to leave.