Gaming they said piracy kills psp... but what about vita?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
cause the world of consumer electronics is a complex one. what the consumer does and doesnt do is not set by one single variable, but by a plethora of them.

vita started with few games like most consoles, those were good, but nothing sony fans didnt have on their ps3 already.
the price was high, though mostly justified. at least until the memory card thing which again was crazy expensive.

theres lots of alternatives. smartphones, nintendo, even the old psp itself. people who didnt plan on spending much money just kept the psp for their gaming needs. people that liked nintendo games took nintendos console. people that dont really care about games much used their phones.

people remembered how the psp ended up being the loser on the handheld market last gen.

if it wasnt for the indie titles, there wouldnt be many games on the vita.

form factor - its not a pocket console, that vita.

i see a nintendo comercial at least once a day. they're all dumb as shit, for sure, and whoever comes up with them needs to be fired, but they're there. I'm not sure when i last saw a vita ad.

well yeah thats about it i guess.

Mira

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
as of right now piracy would save vita rather than kill it...
and for psp it may have been so...if it wasn't hacked early on who's to say that it would've still sell as much as it did?
sony's background doesn't help:cocky as it is,no support at all for this system and overpricing everything as it see fit and i bet they would like to tax even the air you breath while gaming if they could...

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
i see a nintendo comercial at least once a day. they're all dumb as shit, for sure, and whoever comes up with them needs to be fired, but they're there. I'm not sure when i last saw a vita ad.

This is so true. (Altho i personally love the kirby: triple deluxe trailer)

The only Vita adverts i see are the ones that make it seem like it is bundled with the PS4 or PS3. They dont give it its own advert. Instead they try to save ad costs and advertise them together, it's a solid idea on paper but in practise it confuses the audience. Not everyone is up to date on the new consoles and unless you spoon feed exsactly what you want to sell, it wont sell.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
as of right now piracy would save vita rather than kill it...

Very much agreed.

The way I see it, the only reason why the PSP was so successful was quite simply, due to the piracy.

You can argue it every way you want it to, but being able to play any games on your system, freely, is the best sales rocket there is. The studios and game developers get the "middle finger" for their work. However the system's manufacturer gets the gold.

Same thing happening today. Look at the 3DS. Good lord.. ever since Gateway 3DS came out, there's a post about either the 3DS, Gateway, or where to get gaming related files every 5 mins.

The one thing that would save the Vita right now, is piracy, since Sony isn't giving two craps about it. I'd buy one.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
the big reason the vita is not doing well is
Sony not doing much to support it
Dev are not making games for it
read this

Piracy might help a little be not many people will do it
there is also, PSN+ with that you get many nice game for free and at a discount

but people do not like Digital only stuff
memory cards are not cheap

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
piracy wouldnt save the vita. obviously it would cause a bunch of pirates to go buy the console and it would barely give sony back production/traffic/ad costs, so long as they dont buy games while pirating them too.

in consoles, money is made with sold games, specially new games at maximum price during launch month.

if people dont buy games, sony'd rather they dont buy consoles at all. that is, as long as the vita is still in any way subsidized (which i believe, since it didnt sell so well that fix costs are already earned back, had its price lowered way before release already and it has only been dropping since then).

the number of people who just want it hacked on principle and for the homebrew is ridiculously small. look at the psp. save for the emulators, which are pirate homebrews and maybe the cave story port, what homebrews are actually good? i mean, really good, good enough to need to have while also good enough to stop you from going a step closer to the actual psp games.

theres not too many.

Reactions: Ozito and Arras

Mira

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Clydefrosch said:
piracy wouldnt save the vita. obviously it would cause a bunch of pirates to go buy the console and it would barely give sony back production/traffic/ad costs, so long as they dont buy games while pirating them too.

in consoles, money is made with sold games, specially new games at maximum price during launch month.

if people dont buy games, sony'd rather they dont buy consoles at all. that is, as long as the vita is still in any way subsidized (which i believe, since it didnt sell so well that fix costs are already earned back, had its price lowered way before release already and it has only been dropping since then).

the number of people who just want it hacked on principle and for the homebrew is ridiculously small. look at the psp. save for the emulators, which are pirate homebrews and maybe the cave story port, what homebrews are actually good? i mean, really good, good enough to need to have while also good enough to stop you from going a step closer to the actual psp games.

theres not too many.
let me tell you this:People who pirate would not buy games regardless of the fact if the console is hackable or not.
if it's hacked...sales will triple/quadruple and something is obviously gonna change and i say since the situation is really bad,the chance turning in the worse case scenario (not even indie games made...) is really tiny,instead the chances turning for the better are really high

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the thing is, people that buy only the console and pirate everything else do not make any (substantial) profit for sony.
obviously there will still be games made, both psp and ds got new games till the very end a year or two ago. in the unlikely event that sales suddenly triple, a bunch of devs will, without a doubt, throw out a few new games in naive hope of suddenly higher software sales. but their sales will remain at pre-tripling levels and thus, disappointing to them.

piracy wont kill the vita, just like it didnt actually kill the psp or the ds. but it also wont save it. chances are high that more people who so far, bought software for their vita will switch to strictly pirating, than there will be people who didnt get a vita yet but will buy one and buy software once its hacked because they absolutely need custom xmbc menus or something.
no matter how you look at it, for every console and their producer, hacking will always be worse than no hacking. selling more consoles doesnt mean anything unless it also leads to a rise in software sales.

now, if the price of a vita was like 500$ then yeah, you can bet your ass they wouldn't care that much about software sales and piracy would probably cause a profit for sony. but then again, at such a high price, the user base would have been limited from the very beginning, making it less desirable for devs to make games for it in the first place. you see where this is going.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
it's supposedly a very safe handheld, and still unhackable. there is virtually no piracy in ps vita, so why it failed?
First of all, piracy did not kill the PSP - nothing killed the PSP, it sold about as well as the Game Boy Advance, how is that not a massive success for Sony's first attempt at a portable console? Secondly, the PSVita isn't doing terribly well, but it hasn't exactly failed either - it's definitely doing better than the Wii U. While there is no official word on the amount of units sold to date, the estimates oscillate around 8 million consoles sold - that's not half bad considering the fact that the PSVita has a good couple more years to go.
the big reason the vita is not doing well is
Sony not doing much to support it
Dev are not making games for it
read this

Piracy might help a little be not many people will do it
there is also, PSN+ with that you get many nice game for free and at a discount

but people do not like Digital only stuff
memory cards are not cheap
I contest statements like this on every corner - how is Sony not supporting the PSVita? They've showered the thing with first party games from Day 1 - there's KillZone: Mercenary, Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Resistance: Burning Skies, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, MLB: The Show 2012-2014, Wipeout 2048, God of War Collection, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Ratchet & Clank: QForce/Full Frontal Assault, ModNation Racers: Road Trip, Escape Plan, Flower, Invizimals: The Alliance, Jak & Daxter Collection, LittleBigPlanet Vita and more - what the hell do people want? They're releasing first party games, stop maintaining that they're not when chances are that there's more first party on the PSVita than there is on the 3DS.

Secondly, Devs don't support the PSVita? It practically has the exact same amount of games out for it as the 3DS as of today if not more, check your facts.

As far as not liking digital, tell that to Valve - I guess they should close Steam, the biggest outlet of software I can think of.

Bioshiit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think the vita had some bad luck with the 3DS releasing at the same time, I don't have any of these 2 (my sister does have a 3ds tho) but I know more ppl with a 3ds then a vita. I personally would get both consoles if they are less pricey I still have other things to do with my money then buy game related stuff on top of that, games are already pretty expensive but I buy all of them because I want to support developpers.
Also the vita has some great exclusives but just not enough, 3ds has so much more interesting to give (for example: pokemon, fire emblem, kirby, mario games,...) and psvita in EU only has 1 game that I really want to play and it's persona 4 so for one game i ain't gonna buy a console of 300€

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think the vita had some bad luck with the 3DS releasing at the same time, I don't have any of these 2 (my sister does have a 3ds tho) but I know more ppl with a 3ds then a vita. I personally would get both consoles if they are less pricey I still have other things to do with my money then buy game related stuff on top of that, games are already pretty expensive but I buy all of them because I want to support developpers.
Also the vita has some great exclusives but just not enough, 3ds has so much more interesting to give (for example: pokemon, fire emblem, kirby, mario games,...) and psvita in EU only has 1 game that I really want to play and it's persona 4 so for one game i ain't gonna buy a console of 300€
That's great, because you totally don't have to - the PSVita costs between 150-180€ depending on the bundle you choose. For example the PSVita Mega Pack consisting of the system, a 16GB memory card and 10 games (LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout 2048, Motorstorm RC, Little Deviants, Frobisher Says!, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, The HD Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character, Lemmings, Ecolibrium and Hungry Giraffe) costs 179€ on Amazon.

I don't know where people get their PSVita price points as of late, it's not the first time I hear the system costs $300+ around here when it really doesn't.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Saying that piracy will help is just naive.
Developers we like are going to drop the support for the PSV just like they did with the PSP.

Pixeljunk drops support
Ready at dawn's opinion
Sony's own opinion

The greediness for free games and new games doesn't make sense!

Right now we are getting great indie games and the developers are getting their money for (mostly) an excellent product.
What'll happen once the vita get's hacked?
Are you going to pay 13$ for olliolli or 10$ for luftrausers when you can just download it for free?
I bet we are going to see less indies if it get's hacked, I sure as hell wouldn't (as a developer) spend my time on a product that in the end would get pirated.

Let me put it this way, i like to fix things, computers, consoles etc, there was a period when my friends wanted me to fix their things for free.
I didn't mind until I felt how I didn't get anything valuable (read: money) out of fixing their stuff for free, I did not feel motivated.
I imagine it's the same problem for developers, NO MOTIVATION!
It's the old carrot and the stick example.

Why would developers create games for a piracy infected unit that didn't sell well in the beginning?
What kind of message does it send to developers if the PSV suddenly after being hacked, goes up in sales numbers?
I doubt that the majority of the new owners a willing to pay for their games.

let me tell you this:People who pirate would not buy games regardless of the fact if the console is hackable or not.

That's just egocentric way of thinking man, sure maybe people who pirate wouldn't buy the unit or the games, but what about the people that does?
Why would they feel motivated to keep paying for new games when "you can just download it for free".

It's that bullshit mentality we got to stray away from.
We can't be crying for more games and then not pay for them.
Don't take me for an anti piracy guy because I'm not!

It's just that people got to drop the whole "piracy is going to save the PSV" because it's not logical at all!

I hope that the PSV doesn't get hacked until the very end of it's life span and only then I'll maybe believe the whole "i did it for the homebrews excuse"!

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They've showered the thing with first party games from Day 1 - there's KillZone: Mercenary, Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Resistance: Burning Skies, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, MLB: The Show 2012-2014, Wipeout 2048, God of War Collection, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Ratchet & Clank: QForce/Full Frontal Assault, ModNation Racers: Road Trip, Escape Plan, Flower, Invizimals: The Alliance, Jak & Daxter Collection, LittleBigPlanet Vita...

As much as I agree with your post Foxi, I speak for myself, aside from Uncharted, I would not buy a PS Vita for any of those titles.

Here's a title that would make me run to the store and buy a PS Vita: Phantasy Star Online 2.

They promised. Again and again. Nothing to this day.

So I have to at least say, that very popular titles demanded by the western public, (also reminded of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd back on the PSP which never we never got aside from the Japanese version), are never released.

In my opinion, that is one of the reasons why the PS Vita isn't doing so well..

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Piracy would only help out the console itself because as for the games they wouldn't buy them, instead, just download and store them in the card to play it.

I used to pirate games but to me pirating them just doesn't feel right because I'd be missing the physical copy and without it, it loses value to play it. Same would apply for digital format.

The only times when I'd support games are those Indies on Xbox 'cause I couldn't get them physically anyway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As much as I agree with your post Foxi, I speak for myself, aside from Uncharted, I would not buy a PS Vita for any of those titles.

Here's a title that would make me run to the store and buy a PS Vita: Phantasy Star Online 2.

They promised. Again and again. Nothing to this day.

So I have to at least say, that very popular titles demanded by the western public, (also reminded of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd back on the PSP which never we never got aside from the Japanese version), are never released.

In my opinion, that is one of the reasons why the PS Vita isn't doing so well..
PSO2 is not a Sony game, it's a SEGA game - go knock on SEGA's door for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs