Hacking Theroretical 4.3 Downgrade?

• Thread starter Kurisuellegarden
  • Start date
  • Views 3,758
  • Replies 17
K

Kurisuellegarden

Does bootmii get removed when you update? I don't think it does, if it doesn't, then you can use cBoot Loader to load with a IOS of your choice downloaded with NUS Downloader and then use the MMM Multi Mod to downgrade the system menu to 4.1? o-o Just a guess. I don't want to update any of my consoles. =| But if someone did accidentally update, try this out maybe if you had bootmii.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What I read yes. It seems like the latest system menu also have a new boot2. Therefor Bootmii is removed. But when HBC is updated (the installer) it should be able to be installed by smashstack or Indianapwnz exploit.

K

Kurisuellegarden

Okay, I didn't know it was possible yet to replace the boot2, but I guess Nintendo is going all out. o-o

K

Kurisuellegarden

* Deletes the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, title IDs HAXX, DVDX, JODI, DISC, and DISK.
* Now uses IOS80.
* IOS254 stubbed BootMii is deleted.
* Fixed Bannerbomb less stupidly this time.
* Added IOS58.
* HackMii Installer Userland+Syscall IOS exploit removed
* NANDFS privilege escalation fixed
* ES_AddTitleFinish now checks the signature(Trucha Bug Restorer and similar won't work anymore)

I'm seeing just the stub deleted.... =| Where else is more information?

D

Deleted-171178

Basically it removes stubs, stops trucha bug restorer and unsigned NAND editing and blocks Bannerbomb.
Also, why not just NAND restore with Bootmii?

K

Kurisuellegarden

Yeah, I guess you could NAND restore too. o-o I'm just thinking of ways to downgrade...just in case someone brings me a 4.3 console and say "FIX IT!!!".

So, NAND restore for people who made backups of NANDS and I'll try out my method. My method should work and allow me to downgrade it.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An automated NAND restore would be HORRIFICALLY dangerous for Ninty to try and pull off. The number of bricks that would occur from 10 year olds shutting down the system would bankrupt the company.

Maybe not THAT drastic, but that's an extremely unsafe idea... which is why they wouldn't do it
smile.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WildWon said:
An automated NAND restore would be HORRIFICALLY dangerous for Ninty to try and pull off. The number of bricks that would occur from 10 year olds shutting down the system would bankrupt the company.

Maybe not THAT drastic, but that's an extremely unsafe idea... which is why they wouldn't do it
smile.gif

What are you on about? Who said anything about Ninty doing an "automated NAND restore"? Why on earth would Ninty WANT to restore NANDs anyway?

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
BootMii/boot2 is not removed by this update.
I believe that if you do not have boot2v4 yet then this update will remove BootMii/boot2 (same as the 4.2 update).

The question is will the HackMii installer still be able to re-install BootMii/boot2 after this update? The HackMii installer exploits (Userland+Syscall) have been fixed, but that may only affect the installation of HBC, DVDX, and BootMii/IOS. The installer may still be able to re-install BootMii/boot2 because it uses the strncmp bug that exists in older boot1 versions (?).

I would like to know if this is the case.
unsure.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fogbank said:
SifJar said:
I believe that if you do not have boot2v4 yet then this update will remove BootMii/boot2 (same as the 4.2 update).

The question is will the HackMii installer still be able to re-install BootMii/boot2 after this update? The HackMii installer exploits (Userland+Syscall) have been fixed, but that may only affect the installation of HBC, DVDX, and BootMii/IOS. The installer may still be able to re-install BootMii/boot2 because it uses the strncmp bug that exists in older boot1 versions (?).

unsure.gif

the boot1 exploit is not used for installation. IOS exploit is needed for installation of anything fakesigned. However, TT have for a long time had other IOS exploits ready AFAIK, so they will release a new HackMii Installer using one of them soon no doubt.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
fogbank said:
SifJar said:

unsure.gif

the boot1 exploit is not used for installation. IOS exploit is needed for installation of anything fakesigned. However, TT have for a long time had other IOS exploits ready AFAIK, so they will release a new HackMii Installer using one of them soon no doubt.

Of course that makes perfect sense. For the boot1 strncmp exploit to be used for installation boot1 would have to be running during the process. The boot1 exploit is only used to allow a modified (fakesigned) boot2 to be loaded.

Thanks for the info.

rjisreal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beegee7730 said:
Basically it removes stubs, stops trucha bug restorer and unsigned NAND editing and blocks Bannerbomb.
Also, why not just NAND restore with Bootmii?
Me and my cousin tried this...some anti-homebrew features stay behind when restoring, so trucha bug doesnt work, and neither does anything else.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
No. Just install BootMii and leave it as is. You want to minimize the frequency of your boot2 flashes, or else you could brick your console.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the heck is Dip-Mii? You mean DoP-Mii, right?

You would have to be on boot2v4 with bootmii installed as boot2 to survive the official upgrade. Doesn't matter as long as you have SSBB or Lego Indiana... (but one day you will upgrade and those won't work anymore either)

Me... I'm staying on 4.2 until something is added to a new system menu. Until then I'll just update IOS files as needed with DoP-Mii.

(and for people who are still in love with system menu 3.2... analyze this post and the couple above it and realize ANOTHER darn good reason to at least update to 4.1) without boot2v4... much risk of loosing bootmii if you have little ones that may try to update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."