Theroretical 4.3 Downgrade?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kurisuellegarden, Jun 22, 2010.

Jun 22, 2010
  1. Does bootmii get removed when you update? I don't think it does, if it doesn't, then you can use cBoot Loader to load with a IOS of your choice downloaded with NUS Downloader and then use the MMM Multi Mod to downgrade the system menu to 4.1? o-o Just a guess. I don't want to update any of my consoles. =| But if someone did accidentally update, try this out maybe if you had bootmii.

2. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    What I read yes. It seems like the latest system menu also have a new boot2. Therefor Bootmii is removed. But when HBC is updated (the installer) it should be able to be installed by smashstack or Indianapwnz exploit.

3. Okay, I didn't know it was possible yet to replace the boot2, but I guess Nintendo is going all out. o-o

4. * Deletes the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, title IDs HAXX, DVDX, JODI, DISC, and DISK.
    * Now uses IOS80.
    * IOS254 stubbed BootMii is deleted.
    * Fixed Bannerbomb less stupidly this time.
    * Added IOS58.
    * HackMii Installer Userland+Syscall IOS exploit removed
    * NANDFS privilege escalation fixed
    * ES_AddTitleFinish now checks the signature(Trucha Bug Restorer and similar won't work anymore)

I'm seeing just the stub deleted.... =| Where else is more information?

5. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Basically it removes stubs, stops trucha bug restorer and unsigned NAND editing and blocks Bannerbomb.
    Also, why not just NAND restore with Bootmii?

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    BootMii/boot2 is not removed by this update.

7. Yeah, I guess you could NAND restore too. o-o I'm just thinking of ways to downgrade...just in case someone brings me a 4.3 console and say "FIX IT!!!".

So, NAND restore for people who made backups of NANDS and I'll try out my method. My method should work and allow me to downgrade it.

8. SifJar

United Kingdom
    You'd need to reinstall IOS60 non-stubbed too.

9. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    An automated NAND restore would be HORRIFICALLY dangerous for Ninty to try and pull off. The number of bricks that would occur from 10 year olds shutting down the system would bankrupt the company.

Maybe not THAT drastic, but that's an extremely unsafe idea... which is why they wouldn't do it [​IMG]

10. happydance

Member happydance GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    if bootmii in there, you can still fix it, if not.. though luck

11. SifJar

United Kingdom
    What are you on about? Who said anything about Ninty doing an "automated NAND restore"? Why on earth would Ninty WANT to restore NANDs anyway?

12. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I believe that if you do not have boot2v4 yet then this update will remove BootMii/boot2 (same as the 4.2 update).

The question is will the HackMii installer still be able to re-install BootMii/boot2 after this update? The HackMii installer exploits (Userland+Syscall) have been fixed, but that may only affect the installation of HBC, DVDX, and BootMii/IOS. The installer may still be able to re-install BootMii/boot2 because it uses the strncmp bug that exists in older boot1 versions (?).

I would like to know if this is the case. [​IMG]

13. SifJar

United Kingdom
    the boot1 exploit is not used for installation. IOS exploit is needed for installation of anything fakesigned. However, TT have for a long time had other IOS exploits ready AFAIK, so they will release a new HackMii Installer using one of them soon no doubt.

14. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Of course that makes perfect sense. For the boot1 strncmp exploit to be used for installation boot1 would have to be running during the process. The boot1 exploit is only used to allow a modified (fakesigned) boot2 to be loaded.

Thanks for the info.

15. rjisreal

Newcomer rjisreal Newbie

United States
    Me and my cousin tried this...some anti-homebrew features stay behind when restoring, so trucha bug doesnt work, and neither does anything else.

16. muck chucker

Member muck chucker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So is it best to update boot2v2 to v4 using dip-mii and reinstall bootmii incase someone updates?

17. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    No. Just install BootMii and leave it as is. You want to minimize the frequency of your boot2 flashes, or else you could brick your console.

18. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    What the heck is Dip-Mii? You mean DoP-Mii, right?

You would have to be on boot2v4 with bootmii installed as boot2 to survive the official upgrade. Doesn't matter as long as you have SSBB or Lego Indiana... (but one day you will upgrade and those won't work anymore either)

Me... I'm staying on 4.2 until something is added to a new system menu. Until then I'll just update IOS files as needed with DoP-Mii.

(and for people who are still in love with system menu 3.2... analyze this post and the couple above it and realize ANOTHER darn good reason to at least update to 4.1) without boot2v4... much risk of loosing bootmii if you have little ones that may try to update.