There's bad translation and then there's this..

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Apologies if this is the wrong section >_>

One of my friends with a PSP told me he loved an RPG on it called Astonishia Story. So I googled it, and I bumped into this old thread from NeoGAF.

NeoGAF said:
I started to get the sense of that shortly after my early impressions were posted. However, what really sent this realization crashing home was when the game's story was interrupted for the second time in order that it might present to me a second diatribe on the Evils of Game Piracy.

Yeah, seriously. First it was just some weird character who showed up, stopped the plot, and started talking about how bad piracy was and how SONNORi was doing everything possible to fight it. I was a little bit creeped out, but I figured okay, whatever, I'll let it slide. The second time, though? It was even worse. The characters refused to exit a cave because they said there was a bug in the game (yes, they said that). Then the Warez fairy appeared. The whole thing was so obnoxious that I just started keying X over and over, and in the process, I guess I hit "yes" to a question where he asked if I liked Warez. The game proceeded to take away 70% of all my characters' HP.

Bad enough some ****ing crappy Korean developer felt the need to include crap like this in their game, but shame on you, Ubisoft, for leaving it in. I'm seriously knocking some major points off from these guys for the horrible job they did.
NeoGAFIt's not just the piracy stuff, either. The whole translation is pure shit.
Here's a couple direct quotes:

"Do you mean Makrigan, the angel of destruction who will lead this world to destruction?"

Yeah, as opposed to the angel of destruction what brings bunnies and flowers and sex.

"It is certain that the Queen of Ferarin will taste the pain of the disaster she's brought in on her own."

Sorry, but that line was funnier when Fawful said it in Superstar Saga and it involved mustard.

"I'll immediately go back to Palmira to lead the troops to Ferarin and trample Ferarin down flat."

I, Garland, will knock you all down!

"We'll have to go to Midiara Town, where the Aldred Crystal is."
"You mean the Town of Midiara?"

Good guess!

"Grandpa? Do you have to go?"
"A man's got to do what a man's got to do. It could be for himself or it could be for others. And you're no exception."

There's only one problem, guys. He was talking to his granddaughter.

rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif

This game is better than I could have possibly imagined. I mean, come on, Warez Fairy?!
yaypsp.gif

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I loled at the
"We'll have to go to Midiara Town, where the Aldred Crystal is."
"You mean the Town of Midiara?"

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't be as bad as "I Will Beat A Rod Till... A Tank Empties" (Phoenix Wright eroge) or "Even electronic brain pancake crystal elderly."
1224409162835_7164.jpg

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Extreme Coder said:
Shakraka said:
Can't be as bad as "I Will Beat A Rod Till... A Tank Empties" (Phoenix Wright eroge) or "Even electronic brain pancake crystal elderly."
1224409162835_7164.jpg
You know what? You're right!
Where the hell did the second translation come from?

Wow, talk about bad translation, i really did lol a couple of times whilst reading through your thread Extreme Coder.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
fateastray said:
Play the sequel, the ASIA version, which is in English. Crimson Gem Saga. Now THAT's an awful translation. >_>
This game's translation really sucks ass, the game is full of typos, they spelled experience as expirience. LOL!
the game looked good but the translation really sucked so I took rid of it
tongue.gif

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Noitora said:
fateastray said:
Play the sequel, the ASIA version, which is in English. Crimson Gem Saga. Now THAT's an awful translation. >_>
This game's translation really sucks ass, the game is full of typos, they spelled experience as expirience. LOL!
tongue.gif

You think that was bad? They even typed "Oh my God" as "OMG". Seriously! "OMG" !!

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
fateastray said:
Noitora said:
fateastray said:
tongue.gif

You think that was bad? They even typed "Oh my God" as "OMG". Seriously! "OMG" !!
What a failure, I wonder who did the translation...
I won't play the whole game to get to the credits tho
tongue.gif
I'd better play Bratz games over that.

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
fateastray said:
Hey, it's a sequel, it needs to improve on what made the first one good
biggrin.gif

I will download that later today, just wondering though, is the game itself any good?

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Sorry to ruin the fun but I don't get some of it:

"It is certain that the Queen of Ferarin will taste the pain of the disaster she's brought in on her own."

Sorry, but that line was funnier when Fawful said it in Superstar Saga and it involved mustard.

I thought this one is good enough?

"I'll immediately go back to Palmira to lead the troops to Ferarin and trample Ferarin down flat."

And so is this one?

What is bad about these 2? I understood the others though

xanth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:

And so is this one?

With the first sentence, it's a combination of things. "It is certain" is unnecessary due to "will" being in the sentence. "In on her own," sounds like grammatical nonsense in this context and just a poor translation. A translation that would make sense might be:
"The Queen of Ferarin will taste the pain of the disaster she's brought upon herself."
Even then "of the disaster" seems unnecessary in the sentence.

With the second one, it's a run-on sentence with redundant (unnecessary or extra) parts. The sentence should either end after the first "Ferarin," or some elements should be merged, like this "...to and lead the troops to trample Ferarin flat into the ground." In English, it sounds weird if you let a sentence carry on for too long, or if it contains too many ideas.

I hope my explanation helped.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
xanth said:
Raestloz said:

And so is this one?

With the first sentence, it's a combination of things. "It is certain" is unnecessary due to "will" being in the sentence. "In on her own," is grammatical nonsense (something cannot be in AND on something at the same time) and just a poor translation. A translation that would make sense might be:
"The Queen of Ferarin will taste the pain of the disaster she's brought upon herself."
Even then "of the disaster" seems unnecessary in the sentence.

With the second one, it's a run-on sentence with redundant (unnecessary or extra) parts. The sentence should either end after the first "Ferarin," or some elements should be merged, like this "...to and lead the troops to trample Ferarin flat into the ground." In English, it sounds weird if you let a sentence carry on for too long, or if it contains too many ideas.

I hope my explanation helped.
I think he meant the text in bold.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
xanth said:
With the first sentence, it's a combination of things. "It is certain" is unnecessary due to "will" being in the sentence. "In on her own," is grammatical nonsense (something cannot be in AND on something at the same time) and just a poor translation.
If I may play devil's advocate for a minute, it's perfectly acceptable to say "...in on her own..." in some instances. For example:

"She brought the groceries in on her own" (as in, she carried them into the house from the car all by herself).

"What's this dog doing here?"
"I don't know, it came in on its own."

But that doesn't mean that I think that the sentence "It is certain that the Queen of Ferarin will taste the pain of the disaster she's brought in on her own" is necessarily a good one. Technically there's nothing wrong with it, but it could be worded better.

xanth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
xanth said:
With the first sentence, it's a combination of things. "It is certain" is unnecessary due to "will" being in the sentence. "In on her own," is grammatical nonsense (something cannot be in AND on something at the same time) and just a poor translation.
If I may play devil's advocate for a minute, it's perfectly acceptable to say "...in on her own..." in some instances. For example:

"She brought the groceries in on her own" (as in, she carried them into the house from the car all by herself).

"What's this dog doing here?"
"I don't know, it came in on its own."

But that doesn't mean that I think that the sentence "It is certain that the Queen of Ferarin will taste the pain of the disaster she's brought in on her own" is necessarily a good one. Technically there's nothing wrong with it, but it could be worded better.

You're right; I've edited my original post to reflect that. It really sounds too awkward to me to be even just technically correct, though.

Any grammarians on the board that could give us a ruling?
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.