• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

There's a new coronavirus out in the wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theres a new flu every year, this is no different. other than the mass panic peddled by the media.
It is different, jackass. Flu doesn't spread nearly as easily. Hasn't killed nearly as many people. So tired to seeing people post this ignorant shit. Try at least reading up on airborn viruses before you decide whatever you randomly pull out of your ass trumps the entire medical field on the planet (who's all clearly colluding together for a global pandemic).

Reactions: Lacius

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine not trusting major medical experts and doctors worldwide (CDC, WHO) that have made countless of research and documentations. But instead trust some conspiracy theories made by skeptical nobodies and "doctors".

Reactions: Lacius

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Imagine not trusting major medical experts and doctors worldwide (CDC, WHO) that have made countless of research and documentations. But instead trust some conspiracy theories made by skeptical nobodies and "doctors".
What's the difference between doctors and "doctors" ?

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the difference between doctors and "doctors" ?
By "doctors", I meant those that always seem to appear and cause a stir within social media and certain local news outlets that contradicts a lot of the research and discoveries done by global medical organizations about the virus, pandemic, and vaccines. Saying things like masks aren't effective, the vaccines aren't working as they intend to be, the vaccines were made with dead fetuses, etc. Some even recommending and prescribing people to take Ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19.

Basically, the "doctors" that spread misinformation and causing people that don't know any better to outright reject the vaccine, even though it's there to help them and others, all because they believe what they hear or read from those "doctors" and believes them to be fact/true. And so whatever proven data and records that contradicts what they believe in would likely be seen as some government or some secret global society conspiracy.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty much moderate about the whole thing at this point.

The way I see it, COVID is here to stay. People should get vaccinated to mitigate the threat that it holds on themselves. Despite the fact that you can still get COVID, it still significantly reduces the chance that you'll end up in the ICU.

That said, most people want to move on, and they recognize that COVID is never going to be eliminated. Parents already have to struggle with the school system, and many young students are behind where they should be in school because of the whole thing. Supply shortages are still a thing, and inflation is hitting pretty hard on a global scale. So honestly, I can't really blame people for the sentiment of wanting to move on and let nature run its course while shots and therapeutics are administered as needed.

Keep in mind, this isn't a means to justify some of the conspiracies out there. For people in first-world countries though, anyone who's not vaccinated probably isn't by choice. Many of them don't do it because they think it's a giant hoax, and others just don't have any trust in the medical system - and I can't personally blame the latter when big pharma, insurance companies and big hospitals have shafted people left-and-right, and the CDC has kowtowed to China in the past. Trust in institutions was already running at a low before COVID, and now it's even lower. So it's really no surprise to me that people question whether they should really get vaccinated. Sadly for those people, it takes real life experience with the virus - via them or a close friend or family member. At this point, I can only point a chunk of the blame at our institutions for failing to give people enough reason to trust them. For the rest, well... some people are just too stubborn for their own good, and there is no convincing them.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The way I see it, COVID is here to stay. People should get vaccinated to mitigate the threat that it holds on themselves. Despite the fact that you can still get COVID, it still significantly reduces the chance that you'll end up in the ICU.

That said, most people want to move on, and they recognize that COVID is never going to be eliminated. Parents already have to struggle with the school system, and many young students are behind where they should be in school because of the whole thing. Supply shortages are still a thing, and inflation is hitting pretty hard on a global scale. So honestly, I can't really blame people for the sentiment of wanting to move on and let nature run its course while shots and therapeutics are administered as needed.

Keep in mind, this isn't a means to justify some of the conspiracies out there. For people in first-world countries though, anyone who's not vaccinated probably isn't by choice. Many of them don't do it because they think it's a giant hoax, and others just don't have any trust in the medical system - and I can't personally blame the latter when big pharma, insurance companies and big hospitals have shafted people left-and-right, and the CDC has kowtowed to China in the past. Trust in institutions was already running at a low before COVID, and now it's even lower. So it's really no surprise to me that people question whether they should really get vaccinated. Sadly for those people, it takes real life experience with the virus - via them or a close friend or family member. At this point, I can only point a chunk of the blame at our institutions for failing to give people enough reason to trust them. For the rest, well... some people are just too stubborn for their own good, and there is no convincing them.
It's funny, because posts like yours were considered reasonable at one point. But now, you're essentially an anti-vaxxer and a conspiracy theorist for suggesting there might be reasons to not trust the corporations.

By "doctors", I meant those that always seem to appear and cause a stir within social media and certain local news outlets that contradicts a lot of the research and discoveries done by global medical organizations about the virus, pandemic, and vaccines. Saying things like masks aren't effective, the vaccines aren't working as they intend to be, the vaccines were made with dead fetuses, etc. Some even recommending and prescribing people to take Ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19.

Basically, the "doctors" that spread misinformation and causing people that don't know any better to outright reject the vaccine, even though it's there to help them and others, all because they believe what they hear or read from those "doctors" and believes them to be fact/true. And so whatever proven data and records that contradicts what they believe in would likely be seen as some government or some secret global society conspiracy.
I think it's easy enough (well usually) to tell the difference between doctors just looking for attention and those that are sincere about their opinions and concerns. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss anyone and everyone that doesn't follow the mainstream narrative either. Just to take the Ivermectin case as an example, if a particular doctor is seeing good results at the clinical level it seems a bit silly to point out to them that there is no scientific data to back it up and therefore they should stop. Doctors are trained to only be concerned with the well-being of their patients, not the population at large, so unless they are unfit to practice it's probably best to leave them to it and let the epidemiologists worry about the big picture stuff. You may have been talking specifically about broadcasting though, like doctors on TV and Youtube, in which case I think it's a bit weird for any medical professional to want to go on an entertainment medium in the first place.

Last edited by subcon959,

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The sad and scary thing is that more and more people are becoming desensitized with the whole pandemic as it's slowly becoming the "new normal" and hearing/reading about people getting infected or dying of COVID-19 is so common these days that people are getting used to it and don't bat an eye to it anymore (unless it involves them personally). As the numbers of infected and deaths become just that, numbers. A statistic. And that's not a good thing to start seeing considering it involves literal human lives.

We shouldn't stop trying to convince other people because, again, this is human lives we're talking about here. This isn't something we should shrug away or be moderate about, in all honesty. Since there are those that are too stubborn for their own good, then all the more reason to keep trying anyway. Better to try doing something about it before it's too late for them, their own family, friends, relatives, co-workers, etc.
I think it's easy enough (well usually) to tell the difference between doctors just looking for attention and those that are sincere about their opinions and concerns. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss anyone and everyone that doesn't follow the mainstream narrative either. Just to take the Ivermectin case as an example, if a particular doctor is seeing good results at the clinical level it seems a bit silly to point out to them that there is no scientific data to back it up and therefore they should stop. Doctors are trained to only be concerned with the well-being of their patients, not the population at large, so unless they are unfit to practice it's probably best to leave them to it and let the epidemiologists worry about the big picture stuff. You may have been talking specifically about broadcasting though, like doctors on TV and Youtube, in which case I think it's a bit weird for any medical professional to want to go on an entertainment medium in the first place.
But that's one of the big problems, isn't it? Mainstream media outlets like Fox News and such are getting away with their own narratives and making people not want to listen to what others say regarding the whole pandemic as a whole (and other things unrelated to the pandemic). Not everyone chooses to look up, study, do research on what's going on as they go about their own lives so lots of people just absorb information the way that they're used to getting them like watching the news on TV. So they tend to believe more from places they "trust more" than others. This also applies to social media like Facebook or Twitter, where their own group of like-minded people, friends, families, etc. can easily spread those same narratives and misinformation onto others.

Reactions: Dakitten

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But that's one of the big problems, isn't it? Mainstream media outlets like Fox News and such are getting away with their own narratives and making people not want to listen to what others say regarding the whole pandemic as a whole (and other things unrelated to the pandemic). Not everyone chooses to look up, study, do research on what's going on as they go about their own lives so lots of people just absorb information the way that they're used to getting them like watching the news on TV. So they tend to believe more from places they "trust more" than others. This also applies to social media like Facebook or Twitter, where their own group of like-minded people, friends, families, etc. can easily spread those same narratives and misinformation onto others.
The last time I regularly watched American TV was 2001, and every time I tried to watch Fox News I got very triggered by Bill O'Reilly. I don't actually remember anything on CNN other than when I was watching live on the morning of 9/11 :-( .. These days, being in the UK I only really see curated clips on Youtube, so they all come off as biased as each other. It does seem to me that it's getting harder and harder to discern what's actually true and what isn't, and that's a real problem.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sad and scary thing is that more and more people are becoming desensitized with the whole pandemic as it's slowly becoming the "new normal" and hearing/reading about people getting infected or dying of COVID-19 is so common these days that people are getting used to it and don't bat an eye to it anymore (unless it involves them personally). As the numbers of infected and deaths become just that, numbers. A statistic. And that's not a good thing to start seeing considering it involves literal human lives.

We shouldn't stop trying to convince other people because, again, this is human lives we're talking about here. This isn't something we should shrug away or be moderate about, in all honesty. Since there are those that are too stubborn for their own good, then all the more reason to keep trying anyway. Better to try doing something about it before it's too late for them, their own family, friends, relatives, co-workers, etc.

Trying to convince people is well and good, but the harsh reality is that you can only convince so many, and the deeper we are into this mess, the harder it gets to convince the stubborn few. People only tend to trust the opinions of people they've already established trust with. And in the U.S. anyway, the political divide is already great because of all the stupid culture war bullshit that the media only continues to perpetuate, because both sides get a real hard-on for demonizing the other side rather than creating a unifying message. Because of this new heightening of the culture war, there are all too many people who would rather die on the hill they fight on, and now the issue of vaccines is all too deeply entangled into the culture war. The only option left at this point is mandates, but we all know how well that's going to go down. There's a difference between how things should be and the reality of how things are going to play out. To your point though, there are still people who can be convinced, but at some point, it either comes down to living without masks and mandates and accepting that people will die, or people continuing to live their lives in fear of a disease and risking increased frustration of human society which leads to more domestic abuse and psychological issues. Either way, there is going to be tragedy. It's a matter of which one we'd rather choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: happy birth +1