• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

There's a new coronavirus out in the wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Should really provide some links to this. I found some links on Google about this, which I am not surprised this happened. Too many people believe conspiracies about masks, vaccines, and other nonsense they got from social media. This was bound to happen eventually

Reactions: VDDZ

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Time to wake up....

This is only the Beginning.....the more People vaccinated,the greater is the Way of Mutation...

Maybe one Day,Mankind will understand - The Virus can´t be inoculated away......
The Virus mutates and mutates and someday most of the People with good and intact (like many,many People actual on this Planet on the "natural" Way) will be resistant to it,just as many, many People are to flu,hepatitis and so on ......

People,who do not have a good Immunesystem should be vaccinated (on a voluntary basis,not to be forced).
And hopefully,the Vaccines are good and effective in the Future.....

By the Way:

The WHO recommends actual for the new Mutation Omicron the "old fashioned Way" - Masks and Distance.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's a new variant with multiple mutations, but the same virus. No info yet on how the vaccines fare against it, should only take about a month at most to get that data though.

the more People vaccinated,the greater is the Way of Mutation...
That's the opposite of the truth. The more easily-infected host bodies there are, the more time the virus has to mutate within those host bodies. Vaccinated people are both less likely to catch it and less likely to have noticeable symptoms, which also makes them less likely to spread it.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It's a new variant with multiple mutations, but the same virus. No info yet on how the vaccines fare against it, should only take about a month at most to get that data though.
Already there..Israel,Hongkong,Belgium has already Cases.
Very high viralload......

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
That's the opposite of the truth. The more easily-infected host bodies there are, the more time the virus has to mutate within those host bodies. Vaccinated people are both less likely to catch it and less likely to have noticeable symptoms, which also makes them less likely to spread it.

They're speculating it mutated in an unvaccinated immunocompromised person, so the vaccine is more important than ever to prevent it having the time to mutate

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
WHO has already classified the Omicron Variation as "worrying" as a signal that a variant is more contagious or leads to more severe disease courses.
In addition, with "worrying variants" there is a risk that conventional vaccinations, drugs or measures will be less effective.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Already there..Israel,Hongkong,Belgium has already Cases.
Very high viralload......
That has nothing to do with the data I mentioned.

In addition, with "worrying variants" there is a risk that conventional vaccinations, drugs or measures will be less effective.
A "risk," yes, but we don't know that for certain yet. Spreading FUD in the interim serves no purpose.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
That has nothing to do with the data I mentioned.

A "risk," yes, but we don't know that for certain yet. Spreading FUD in the interim serves no purpose.
Yes,you live in your Bubble,I in mine,lets talk again about Omicron in 1 -2 Weeks,my Friend...
I would be very,very,very happy,if you are right,really honestly........

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes,you live in your Bubble,I in mine,lets talk again about Omicron in 1 -2 Weeks,my Friend...
I would be very,very,very happy,if you are right,really honestly........
I know I'm right, because all I've said is that we don't have the data yet. And we don't. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the vaccines will be less effective against Omicron than they are against other variants, but a speculative 50% protection against it is still far better than the 0% protection that anti-vaxxers have. Additionally, the vaccine formula can then be tweaked, if necessary, to address the specific threats of Omicron.

Reactions: VDDZ and Dakitten

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I know I'm right

Netherlands next....
https://orf.at/stories/3238083/

2 Flights from South Africa to Amsterdam (over 600 People) with over a dozen Infections.
They are actual testing,if they infected with the Omicron Variante.

Expected Arrival in Austria - according to "Experts" - 1 -2 Weeks.
https://www.krone.at/2566242

mRNA Vaccines are maybe easy to "adjust"for the new Mutation,said the Expert.
So,more Vaccinations/Shots are on the Way.......maybe......

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
2 Flights from South Africa to Amsterdam (over 600 People) with over a dozen Infections.
They are actual testing,if they infected with the Omicron Variante.
This is not the methodology used to gather data about the vaccines' efficacy against Omicron. You have to eliminate variables, which means first isolating the Omicron variant in a lab.

mRNA Vaccines are maybe easy to "adjust"for the new Mutation,said the Expert.
So,more Vaccinations/Shots are on the Way.......maybe......
Yes, maybe. It's long been my opinion that COVID-19 will become endemic like the flu, meaning yearly shots available for the variants most likely to be in your region. Things didn't have to be that way, of course, and a select few countries did handle the pandemic correctly from front to back. Far too many didn't, though, and we may be paying for that for years to come.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I hate seeing stuff like this. You have literally no idea what level of protection anyone has due to their own immune system. If your 0% figure was true then the mortality rate pre-vaccine would've been 100%.
If you've never had COVID before, your immune system does not recognize it. I'm not talking about protection against death, I'm talking specifically about protection against infection.

Reactions: Dakitten and Lacius

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you've never had COVID before, your immune system does not recognize it. I'm not talking about protection against death, I'm talking specifically about protection against infection.
Yes, because that's the only technicality that is left to argue for. I never see the same argument about the flu, which baffles me as it is orders of magnitude more deadly to children. Where is all the talk shaming people to get flu vaccines to help save the children? I'm guessing there isn't any because it's widely accepted the flu vaccine isn't particularly efficacious. Hopefully, we get to that realisation sooner than later with the Covid vaccines so the division between people can cease and we can go back to actually caring about each other rather than this fake version. Vaccinate/treat the elderly and vulnerable, let everyone else go back to normal because there is never going to be a situation where we don't have to live with this, just like getting the flu every year.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I never see the same argument about the flu, which baffles me as it is orders of magnitude more deadly to children. Where is all the talk shaming people to get flu vaccines to help save the children? I'm guessing there isn't any because it's widely accepted the flu vaccine isn't particularly efficacious.
We already require any number of vaccines for diseases deadlier than the flu in order for children to attend public school (MMR, polio, etc). Whether parents also want to vaccinate their children for the flu or not is up to them, though I'm sure there's a number of scenarios where it's highly recommended. For that matter, about 50% of those aged under 17 got a flu vaccine in the last year. For the elderly it's closer to 70%.

Also worth noting that the flu on its own killed about 5,000 people last year, versus COVID-19 killing nearly 500,000. It's only when you include pneumonia with the flu that the mortality rate jumps up (about 50,000 a year).

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
now that most people are vaccinated... how would we (the pharmaceutical groups) continue wining money if we can't sell our drugs at 3800% profit* ? ohh, let's make a new variant and tell people they need a 4th shot ! now we can still sell drugs and be richer.
/s .. or not
no, you are right, they don't need a new variant to tell people their vaccine is not active anymore and they need another shot.

* Pfizer is selling a 18$ drug at 700$... right, they are NOT money greedy, they only think about people health, not their wealth. /s again?

Last edited by Cyan,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
now that most people are vaccinated... how would we (the pharmaceutical groups) continue wining money if we can't sell our drugs at 3800% profit* ? ohh, let's make a new variant and tell people they need a 4th shot ! now we can still sell drugs and be richer.
/s .. or not
no, you are right, they don't need a new variant to tell people their vaccine is not active anymore and they need another shot.

* Pfizer is selling a 18$ drug at 700$... right, they are NOT money greedy, they only think about people health, not their wealth. /s again?
If they were giving the vaccines away for free, you'd be even more skeptical of them, and with good reason. Of course governments will pay top dollar for any tool which helps pull their economies out of a pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over