There are only two genders. Change my mind.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GhostLatte, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That's one I actually CAN answer; it's because we as humans are hardwired to be a communal species, and the younger generation especially are trying to seek that out as they feel they're being estranged by the older ones. By creating names for a personal identity or quirk (in this case, gender, but it also applies to things like autism, sexuality, and various mental disorders that have symptoms in common with each other), you can group around people that share that same "label" and be confident that you will have a relatively shared experience. In that sense, the labels are not to create a target for themselves, nor is it to strictly make them feel special; it's more of an end to a journey of self-discovery

Joeado123 likes this.
  2. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    there are only 2 biological genders
    you can born with dick or vagina
    or there is a third thing?

JellyPerson likes this.
  3. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Well... The thing is, it's not, per se, or at least not relevant to the hard sciences. There are studies ongoing to determine the cause of gender dysphoria, because no one actually knows what causes it, just that HRT is effective at treating it, but the only people who really seem to care about researching social gender are socioligists, and that only appears to be because they're interested in the differences and similarities between cultures. So, I suppose the answer to that is no, if only because there's a relative lack of interest due to it not being medically pressing

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

"Biological gender" is a misnomer, you're thinking of "sex"

Seriel likes this.
  4. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    Last time I checked, gender meant the same thing as sex

BlueFox gui likes this.
  5. Seriel

Seriel ឵Thank you title very cool

GBAtemp Patron
    Seriel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 18, 2015
    Antarctica
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    who cares
    my statement can be right or wrong
    but one thing for sure is
    there IS something besides penis or vagina?
    some people can born with half of both (it's rare)
    but this is another story

DarthDub and JellyPerson like this.
  7. JellyPerson
    This message by JellyPerson has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 29, 2018.
    Apr 29, 2018
  8. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    I always find it surprising that there are studies at all.
    Just leave alone, let people do whatever the hell makes them happy. Don't make your life miserable in order to conform to a label.
    This isn't a new phenomena, people experimenting with their sexuality has been around for about as long as people have.

Mind you, scientists will investigate anything to justify their pay cheque, remember the "why do cornflakes go soggy when you pour milk on them" ffs.

TotalInsanity4 and Seriel like this.
  9. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    From a purely scientific basis there are only two genders
    But people are people so they want to be described as there gender being something other than those two

10. FanmadeEndings

FanmadeEndings GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So you're saying a people who state that they identify as a certain gender are not labeling themselves and aren't putting themeslves in danger of creating a dogma as a part of their identity?
    You can experiment with your sexuality without having a name for it.

Great, another straw man, just what that thread needed. /s

11. Stwert

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    I'm saying why does everything have to be labelled. If you want to label everything you'd end up with a hell of a list. At the end of the day, what difference does it make who does what, to whom and with what.

12. Sathya
    This message by Sathya has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 29, 2018.
    Apr 29, 2018
  13. Daisy

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    Such an old discussion to have, and usually pretty pointless too, as it's incredibly hard to change someone's opinions on these matters.

Even harder when you find yourself on both sides of the fence, as well. Sure, I only believe in 2 genders (although, idc about nonbinary people saying they're neither as long as they don't make up pronouns), but as far as I, or anyone else should be concerned, if someone is dysphoric and wants to be the opposite gender to their birth sex, then it should be allowed and supported. That said, the amount of 'transgender' people doing it with no dysphoria is harmful to both themselves and transgender people as a whole, and, honestly, I wish it would stop.

BTW, if you're one of the people saying that "a man is a man he cant cut off his dick and take hormones and be a woman XDD" then you are literally just a bigot, especially considering that someone doing such a thing does not hurt anyone in any way.

TotalInsanity4 and Seriel like this.
  14. FanmadeEndings

Feb 16, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I agree. So are you against the idea of many social genders? More labels, they tend to make things more complicated. Right?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

How is observing a factual state bigotry? I'm not saying you should hate those individuals for it, but the statement that you can not change DNA in a way a person could completely change gender in a biological sense is factual truth.

Edit: Overread the "dysphoric" part. My bad. Makes a lot more sense now.

Last edited by FanmadeEndings, Apr 29, 2018
  15. Stwert

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland

I may be an old and past it dude compared to all you whippersnappers on here. But I’m still open minded.

I’m not against anything at all. I’m perfectly happy for people to express themselves in any way they want. I don’t care who wants to do what to whatever other gender. I have no problem with a person having gender reassessment, if you’re x trapped in x body, hell yeah, fix it. We should be an open and accepting society.

But yes, I think too many labels just complicate matters more than they need to be. As I see it there are three basic groups for each gender, and they are the same.

Boy like girl.

Boy likes boy.

Boy will partner with anyone.

Girl likes boy.

Girl likes girl.

Girl will partner with anyone.

There may well be sub-sections of those where people have sex changes, or whatever. But at the end of the day, those six groups are what it all boils down to. Why does it need to be more complex than that? Life is a complicated enough thing as it is.

Or maybe I’m just too old and out of date. I’ll ask the wife, she’s 10 years younger than me :D

16. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'd say there are five, not three (add "<gender> likes no one romantically or sexually and <gender> likes anyone presenting as certain gender(s), but isn't necessarily sexually attracted to genetalia within those groups), although we're now getting into the territory of sexuality rather than gender

Seriel likes this.
  17. erikas

erikas GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2015
    As a concept gender is meaningless, theres biological sex, then theres how you chose to conduct yourself. Biological sex is real and while each individual does not strictly conform to things that are considered male or female, there are clear differences between then when you look at trends. Gender is a poor attempt to deny that the sexes have biological differences that express themselves both physically and mentally.

18. TheMrIron2

TheMrIron2 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2017
    Ireland
    Since LGBT labelling was mentioned in this thread, I may as well mention that as a bisexual person I'm really confused about the whole movement. Your orientation shouldn't define you or change you as a person, if you ask me.

The issue I have is that the community can't seem to decide what it wants. On one hand, they're just asking to be treated normally. On the other hand, they have their own flag but not only that, their own parades and festivals. Where's the "Straight Pride" parades?

DarthDub, Minox, JellyPerson and 3 others like this.
  19. FanmadeEndings

Feb 16, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Also a bisexual and I completely agree. Although, as you mentioned, my sexuality really shouldn't matter for my arguments.

20. Jokey_Carrot
    This message by Jokey_Carrot has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 29, 2018, Reason: Shitpost.
    Apr 29, 2018
  21. GhostLatte
    This message by GhostLatte has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 29, 2018, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Apr 29, 2018
  22. erikas
    This message by erikas has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 29, 2018.
    Apr 29, 2018
  23. DrGreed

DrGreed Luigi from Luigi's Mansion

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    My boyfriend made a good point about the Straight pride deal. Being straight is the norm and until recently no one was attacked for being straight so that's why there are gay pride parades. Basically saying we're here we're queer get over it. Honestly as a predominantly straight guy I don't think we need straight pride parades. But no one is stopping you from putting one together.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  24. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Wait, you say you are straight but mentioned a boyfriend...
    thinking-face_1f914.

25. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I agree wholeheartedly with that. There's also the factor of historical systemic oppression; the same reason why "Black Lives Matter" and "Black power" is acceptable, while "white power" is... What it is...

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted