[THEORY] Possible to get game title updates installed onto older firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neptune, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Neptune
    OP

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Some software you can update then downgrade your firmware and the new software still runs. Would this work with Pokemon for example in case they came out with a TU?

2. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    It might work, provided the firmware you downgrade to supports the appropriate encryption methods. Pokémon X and Y will fail to run on anything under 6.X IIRC.

3. Neptune
    OP

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    I'm specifically referring to the new update. They will release a new pokemon update so everyone is required to update rendering the QR code thing dead. (doesn't matter to me since I can PkHex anyway) But I figured should be able to upgrade, grab the update, downgrade again. Good to go.

4. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    If you upgrade right now then you couldn't downgrade again unless you have a hardware mod. Even if you do have one then it won't help you because the ticket won't be in your old sysNAND.

yuyuyup likes this.
  5. overlord00

overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Sep 12, 2009
    couldnt you update the pokeupdate (for example) then back up your nand, downgrade the nand to 4.x (for example) then use XORPADs to read the fat partition, rip out the tickets then injetc them into the lower firmware nand?

not saying this will work though. I don't know enough about this biz.

6. aos10

aos10 look at me,shitposting about GW,i am so cool

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    yes you can
    my 3DS XL is now on sysnand 9.2
    i updated to emunand 9.5 and installed the 1.05 update for smash bros 3DS
    when i am back to 9.2 sysnand , the update still there , and i can play online ( legit copy )

but,something strange happened , when i was on 9.2 , there was update nag
    after i updated to 9.5 emunand, the nag gone
    even when i am on 9.2 , there still no nag

7. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States

I've run X and Y on 4.5 by using my Gateway without updating the emuNAND. But the wireless features won't work - even if you have another (updated) 3DS running the game in the same room, they won't show up on the PSS. But the game itself will run.