[Theory] Installing DevMenu/BBM/BRM on 9.x emuNAND with 4.x SysNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by CravingCritic, Feb 11, 2015.

1. CravingCritic
    OP

CravingCritic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2014
    United States
    I've been thinking for a bit on possible methods to install a CIA manager onto your system's emuNAND while keeping your sysNAND on 4.x for CFW.

Say you have this setup:

• First SD has Palantine's CFW installed
    • Second SD is used for GW/MT EmuNAND 9.x

Assuming we have our SysNAND and EmuNAND separated.

Would it not, in theory, be possible to use the Go-Exploit on emuNAND, but instead of having it boot the Launcher.dat (which would be the Gateway launcher for emuNAND), we have it load something different. Something like a CIA manager?

It would essentially be set up like this.

1. Use DS Mode Exploit on 4.x FW to boot into emuNAND
    2. Use Go-Exploit (or something similar) to load up a secondary file from within emuNAND
    3. Use said program to install a CIA manager to the emuNAND

This should theoretically allow us to install a CIA manager, but not quite get us to the point of being able to /use/ said manager, seeing that we still wouldn't have the proper privileges to do so, but would get us a step closer to a "CFW" emuNAND.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Feel free to call me a blubbering idiot. Just a thought that I had.

2. Tokiopop

Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

Apr 14, 2009
    UK
    Am I missing something? I already have DevMenu installed to my 9.X emunand.

3. CravingCritic
    OP

CravingCritic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2014
    United States

I'm referring to 4.x CFW users, not those with access to a GW/Sky3DS card.

4. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    If you don't have a card you can only boot emunand in Classic Mode but CIAs only work in GW/MT mode.

5. codychaosx

codychaosx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I have a theory that you could boot a gateway emunand and install bigbluemenu as a cia and then do a system transfer to a my card emunand 3ds and then you have a 9.x mt emunand with big blue menu and essentially itd be like a cfw!! but i dont even know if thatd be possible

Margen67 likes this.
  6. dapaua

dapaua Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2007
    It's a classic mode emunand. It won't load anything that is not correctly signed. The problem is not only installing it. It is executing it.

Kafke and Zidapi like this.
  7. minipablo

minipablo Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2014
    This. But don't loose the hope. Maybe some hero will patch the 9.x signature checks and creates a 9.x rednand launcher.dat. This would mean a cfw supporting 7.x encryption games

Margen67 and coolfuze like this.
  8. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Don't hold your breath. We're still a long way off.

9. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    st4rk posted a video way back showing him with a cfw > 7 and playing a game that requires 7.X encryption. So it's not "a long way off", it's just anybody who has it won't release it.

Margen67 likes this.
  10. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    thats why is a long way off, ppl that do it wont release it

Margen67 likes this.
  11. ChrisX930

ChrisX930 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Ye, this theory :/
    There's one problem....
    Only the CFW and the Gateway Blue Card (or other flashcards) are able to remove the signaturechecks/keychecks. You can't run unsigned code without disabling the signchecks and no one knows how to disable those on EmuNAND > 4.5 :/

12. taha1990

taha1990 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    You can install devmenu in CFW then patch the Rednand back to regular emunand and update to 9.XX all your CIA including the devmenu are there
    thats what I did but the problem is that you cant run those CIA in 9.XX unless you have a gateway card or MT
    so someone need to find a way to bypass the card check

13. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    It would be waaaayy easier and more probable for some of the devs to have a heart and decide to release their work for the betterment of the scene than it would be to patch the GW launcher.

Margen67 likes this.
  14. minipablo

minipablo Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2014
    (Use google translate cause I'm too lazy)
    Si alguien quiere hacer algo con CFW 9.X nada más decir que hay dos funciones de kernel que se encargan de manejar las firmas, parcheadlas y podreis instalar lo que querais. También comentar que todas las funciones de seguridad se encuentran en la partición arm9, es sencillo de desensamblar, la mayoria es process9. Suficiente spoiler por hoy.
    Source: http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_cfw-9x-sera-posible_2068498_s30

alxz0ne and Margen67 like this.
  15. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Yeah, I meant "don't hold your breath" for a release, I know there are a number of people running 5.x and up CFWs. Just off the top of my head, there's Yellows8, St4rk, Smealum, Neimod, MathewE etc... Yifan Lu probably would too (if he had a 3DS).

Protip:
    The pointy side of the greater than/less than symbol points to the smaller number eg. 4 < 6 (four is less than six).
    Because right now your post says "showing him with a cfw higher than 7 and playing a game that requires 7.X encryption", which is obviously no great achievement :P

16. CalebW

CalebW Fellow Temper

Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    Huh? It is a great achievement considering that we don't have a cfw > 5.x. I probably should've used ≥ instead though, but other than that it says exactly what I meant.