[Theory] Classic Sonic in Sonic Forces is connected to the good ending of Sonic CD

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I've been wondering for a while why Classic Sonic is called "A sonic from another dimension" in Sonic Forces.
Since there aren't any official confirmation on that matter, I tried really hard to think of a theory which would explain that.
Before I begin, this is only a theory, so whenever SEGA/Sonic Team confirms it or not, it's still not considered a fact.

Alright, so Classic Sonic...he's known as the past version of Sonic in Sonic Generations, and got the same traits from the classic series.
We already know that time traveling is a typical thing in the whole franchise, and since the Storybook series is now canon, dimension-hopping is also a thing.
In order to prove my theory, lets go back to Sonic CD. For those who played the game, you should know that there are 2 alternate endings:
1. Bad Ending - Little Planet leaves Never Lake, Robotnik succeeds and the planet is left under his rule, in a decaying, mechanized state. However, time resets, thus causing Little Planet to reappear at the lake. Sonic returns, determined to save the planet.
2. Good ending - Little Planet is returned to its rightful state and leaves Never Lake.

No one really knows what directly happened after the Bad Ending, but I'm pretty sure that Little Planet was(and still) near Mobius since then, even if it wasn't seen from Mobius itself.
Most fans know that in Sonic CD, you race against Metal Sonic in Stardust Speedway...in the Bad Future. While it's still possible to race against him in a Good Future, it was mostly known as a race in it's Bad side.
And that still left me a question: In Sonic 4 Episode Metal, we see a broken Metal Sonic in Stardust Speedway....but why in the Bad Future? Let's get back to it later.

Speaking of Sonic 4, there was something in that game which you couldn't perform in the previous classic games: Homing Attack. It's weird, because Classic Sonic never learned how to do that....or did he?
That's how Sonic Generations gets into the picture. For those who played it, we saw Classic Sonic imitating Modern Sonic's homing attack(although he failed miserably), before he and Classic Tails return to their own time.
Don't you think it's connected somehow? It also means that Sonic is stuck in a time paradox, growing up, meeting his past self, and leaving impressions for him so he'll use it later.

Going back to Sonic 4, we already know that Robotnik planned from the beginning to create a new Death Egg, using Little Planet itself. But if it was a Good Future, it would be impossible.
It wasn't specified from what reason Little Planet appears once a year for a whole month, but my best guess is that it's connected to the Time Stones. I mean, it would be weird for Little Planet to reappear at a different place rather than reappear once again in Never Lake like every year. Although our standard rules of time does NOT apply to Little Planet, It's still possible that the future can be changed permanently using the Time Stones as a time-travelling method. And if you all remember the Bad Ending of Sonic CD, Robotnik still held a time stone before he was defeated. It is hinted that when he used the Time Stones in Sonic 4 Episode 2 to control Little Planet, it was actually a backup plan if the previous Death Egg(referring to Sonic 3 & Knuckles) will be destroyed, which did happen thanks to Sonic and Tails.

Now let's talk about Sonic Forces: While it's yet to be seen if Classic Sonic can do a homing attack or not, it was already confirmed he can perform a Drop Dash, his new move in Sonic Mania. The question is: Is it possible that he never learned the homing attack? So that means he never met Modern Sonic at all? That's why he is called "A Sonic from another dimension" ? If my speculations are right, Classic Sonic in Sonic Forces is NOT the same Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations. I mean, Sonic Mania is considered a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, then what about Sonic 4? Does that mean it never happened to begin with?
The whole Sonic 4 event happened because Robotnik had a plan in mind, but in Sonic Mania, Robotnik sent his Hard-Boiled Heavies to reach the "mysterious powerful energy" signal first before Sonic and his friends. Why would he build a new team of robots if he could just find Metal Sonic in Little Planet and send him there? That's because he couldn't. He doesn't possess the Time Stones anymore, and reaching Never Lake would take too much time.

My conclusion is: It's only because Sonic made a Good Future in Sonic CD which led him to a parallel timeline. Sonic Mania happened because of that, and all the games we know from Sonic Adventure till today will never happen. Eventually that Sonic(For now i'll call him Good Future Sonic) went to the destroyed city in Sonic Forces, located at one point in the canonical timeline, which for him can be suspected as unfamiliar.
If my theory will be confirmed as true, then we can also conclude that Sonic Mania is a soft reboot to the series. While Bad Future Sonic will grow up to be the hedgehog we know today, Good Future Sonic just began his newest adventures.

But thinking realistically, this theory is way too complicated for SEGA/Sonic Team to explain in a game for children, and yet I had the urge to connect the dots based on logic.
So what do you think? Do you think i'm right or wrong?
Let's discuss!

Last edited by RedoLane,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Join the SEGA/Sonic forums here @ forums.sega.com/forumdisplay.php?42-Sonic-Games

I really enjoy Sonic games (not all obviously) but I just couldn't care less about the stories.

GustavHD

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, I just read all your theory and it's pretty good! Very structured!
This is the thing:
I'm about 1 month trying to solve the canon of the Sonic franchise and I have come to a conclusion. So here it is:

It all starts with Sonic 1, then Sonic CD (I will talk about Sonic CD later), Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K, Sonic 4, Adventure, etc... This is the MAIN timeline, it's all good until Sonic Generations appears, and just like in Dragon Ball, (beacuse off Sonic having a lot of thing in common with DBZ...) due to the fact of Classic Sonic from the PAST travels to the FUTURE thanks to the Time Eater this creates an ALTERNATE TIMELINE, so hear this: I'm 90% sure that the Classic Sonic we see in Generations come just after his adventure in Sonic 2 and before Sonic 3&K, then in the trailer of Sonic Mania we see 5 buttons in that elevator: 1, 2, 3, K and M, after Sonic Generations we have Sonic Lost World RIGHT? During the events of Lost World, the Classic Sonic from that ALTERNATE Timeline (NOTE: Classic Sonic from Generations, Mania and Forces are the same) is living the events of Sonic 3&K.
Now I'll talk about Sonic CD: In the MAIN timeline, Sonic defeats Eggman and the GOOD future happens, then ONLY SONIC 4 EPISODE 1 TAKES PLACE but in the ALTERNATE timeline ONLY THE EPISODE METAL AND EPISODE 2 HAPPENS!! YOU KNOW WHY? KEEP READING IF YOU DON'T!!
In Sonic Generations Eggman change the past and transforms all the Sonic victories into defeats! That's why we see the BAD future in the battle against Metal Sonic in Sonic Generations! Just Because Eggman changed the PAST created that ALTERNATE TIMELINE I told you before, So because of that, Metal Sonic is found in Stardust Speedway IN the BAD FUTURE IN SONIC EPISODE METAL IN THAT ALTERNATE TIMELINE, Then Episode 2 happens, and Sonic Mania with Sonic's new ability (due to being an alternate timeline, events are way different that it's originals) we know the TRUE ending for Sonic Mania is that one where Sonic collects all the Chaos Emeralds and defeats Eggman and Heavy King, and because of the Phantom Ruby he travels ONCE MORE TO THE FUTURE with Modern SONIC which is living the events of Sonic Forces, they defeat Infinite and that's all, BUT because of classic Sonic travelling once more to the future, that creates an alternate timeline of the ALTERNATE Timeline xD in that new ALTERNATE TIMELINE of The Alternate timeline Sonic Mania Adventures which is a mini-series of 5 episodes where Mighty and Ray are reintroduce after 23 years to the franchise TAKES PLACE, thank you very much.

Image if you are confused:

Sonic timeline.jpg

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
hey, that was around the month Mania was out ^^'' we didn't know it was connected to Forces by then.
I only beta tested the game until a certain point, so I never knew there's the Egg Reverie Zone
Also I don't even care about the canon anymore. there's too much debate about it anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.